Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 11:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

I just want to share this experience and help others lose weight and understand why keto works and how it'll benefit your health tremendously and have immediate result without always having to count calories and eat foods that you may enjoy and curb cravings and hunger.

I started a Ketogenic Diet on the last week of Sept and then introduced Intermittent Fasting on the 2nd week of October. This morning I checked the scales, I had lost 18lbs on my diet. This is absolutely the most impressive diet strategy ever. I've done low carb, low calorie, even high workout, and this is by far the most effective diet with quickest results.

Now, I've done low carb diet years ago and it failed for me because I couldn't manage cravings and get over the low carb starvation problem. Low calorie diet does not work at all, you just don't see any results. While a high workout does work but it isn't effective in the long run as you'll need to constantly hit the gym and get the workouts done.

On a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting, I don't have to workout at all and weight comes off almost everyday and stays off.

Now why do most people fail on keto? Because they can't stop the sugar or carb cravings. They often cheat with a small sugar snack and that completely ices your ketosis process.

The idea of keto is to use up the sugars in the blood so that your body will tap into the fat to make sugar.

Yes, that's right. The body needs sugar but it if you are overweight you have an abundant of body fat stored in the body. If you keep eating carbs and sugar it will keep using what you eat and store what it doesn't need and your body fat will never get used and more than likely it will convert excess blood sugar into fats. That's the job of insulin it will convert sugar to energy or store it when there is more than your body needs. People who have insulin resistance will have too much insulin in the blood and it will store sugar as fat more often than converting into energy and keep demanding for more sugar and carbs as it is out of control.

On a keto diet, if you simply cut carbs and sugar and keep it less than 20g a day you will start feeling very fatigued and tired especially on the 2nd day and that is to be expected. There is no way to remedy that because your body's been used to metabolically burning sugar straight from the blood and it doesn't have the cellular structure to pull fats from the body. You will need time to let the body setup to burn fat. I believe most people fail the 1st week because they just don't have the knowledge to understand that keto diet requires a phase in period.

Intermittent fasting is the key, you can use IF to help you get into keto. You don't have to be completely keto but if you can skip a meal and simply do two meals then you can curb those food cravings. I started IF on the 2nd week and it helped a lot. My cravings are completely gone after 2 days on IF by eating just lunch then dinner and not eat the whole night and next morning.

BTW, breakfast is the worst meal to have when you're on a diet. If you think you can't functional without it then you already have insulin resistance and high blood sugar. Those are the signs of people who have an insulin problem and the body feels it needs food mainly carbs because insulin is too high in the body.

A healthy person do not need to eat 3 meals a day, if you do then your appetite is being controlled by insulin which controls blood sugar and you are on the path of pre-diabetic and type 2 diabetes if you don't get hunger managed.

Today, I am never hungry in the morning. I walk to my commuter train stop which is a 15min walk. When I get to work I have my coffee with butter and MCT oil. Then I don't eat until 1PM, which I have a bowl of salad with lots of extra virgin olive oil and salt, 3 - 4 spoons of salt. You will need it on intermitten fasting as the body needs a lot of salt (electrolytes) in order to burn fat.

By dinner time, I have 3 egg yolks, entire slab of bacon or salmon. Avocado sliced. Then finish it off with more salad. Then I'm done. I honestly enjoy dinner now more than ever.

Before Keto diet, dinner is a rush rush stuff yourself contest. Now it becomes an enjoyable experience, I can come home and prepare the meals or pick and choose what to have and eat it when it's ready.

You simply don't ever feel cravings when you have insulin under control and using keto to make energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 07:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Try consuming 3,000 calories per day while adhering to a keto plan and see how much weight you lose. The only proven law regarding weight-loss is rooted in physics, burn more energy than you consume and the body converts stored energy to make up the shortfall.

And based on what you described in your typical daily eating plan, you're coming in somewhere around 1,300 - 1,500 calories, which would explain the rapid and steady weight-loss.

Congrats on your success, good luck with reaching and maintaining your end goal as well.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Congrats on your loss. You found something that works for you. We are all different in what will work best for us whether its Keto, Low Carb, CICO, or IF. No need to tell people that your way is the best way, or why they failed doing it attempting it. Stay in your lane and keep YOUR success going.
And truly, congrats on your loss. Its a great achievement.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Not buying it. Slabs of bacon are usually in the 10-12 pound range depending on the size of the pig. Even if you're talking about the 1lb packages of sliced slab it's doubtful, at least if you're actually eating it. Most people throw out the majority of the package though. Pound of bacon is about 2,400 calorie but as prepared (pan fry generally) 1,400 to 1,500 calories of it is thrown away. Waste of perfectly good bacon fat, although to be fair there's no way I could use it either if I were frying a pound of bacon every day. If you're just eating table spoons of butter in your coffee anyway, you might try the bacon grease instead. It might be less disgusting than coffee with table spoons of butter although frankly I doubt it. It is quite good on salad though.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-12-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 11-12-2019, 09:03 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Try consuming 3,000 calories per day while adhering to a keto plan and see how much weight you lose. The only proven law regarding weight-loss is rooted in physics, burn more energy than you consume and the body converts stored energy to make up the shortfall.

And based on what you described in your typical daily eating plan, you're coming in somewhere around 1,300 - 1,500 calories, which would explain the rapid and steady weight-loss.

Congrats on your success, good luck with reaching and maintaining your end goal as well.
That's my thoughts exactly. No matter which way one slices it, it's calorie restriction. So yeah, low calorie "works". Fat, being a more dense source of calories, helps you feel full faster and longer. That's why I've increased my fat intake from around 20 something grams to 45-50g per day. But true keto is excessively restrictive in order to maintain ketosis and I can stand but so much fatty foods.

Congrats on the loss, though, OP.

Though you are cheating yourself by not exercising.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

Caloric intake still in consideration for any diet but it isn't the big thing is. Calorie counting doesn't work and it varies on the type of calories consumed. Most keto friendly meals are moderate in calorie count and high in fats. High calorie foods comes from either high carbs or proteins. Fats do not constitute much calories and it isn't stored directly. The whole point of ketosis is to exhaust insulin so the body can create ketones and start using reserve fats.

Anyone that thinks eating a ribeye a day is keto is not following the correct keto diet of eating the right fats to trigger ketosis. Eating a steak actually triggers insulin and delay ketosis.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's my thoughts exactly. No matter which way one slices it, it's calorie restriction. So yeah, low calorie "works". Fat, being a more dense source of calories, helps you feel full faster and longer. That's why I've increased my fat intake from around 20 something grams to 45-50g per day. But true keto is excessively restrictive in order to maintain ketosis and I can stand but so much fatty foods.

Congrats on the loss, though, OP.

Though you are cheating yourself by not exercising.
You can't exercise belly and liver fat, there is zero exercise that targets those areas without dieting. Exercise is a tax, it makes the body burn fuel for energy and recovery. The body is a furnace, it actually burns fuel just to keep us alive. Exercise always helps but not required on keto. I added strength training on keto and not cardio.

Belly fat responds to keto or low carb diet the most. That's why it's called a sugar or beer gut.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not buying it. Slabs of bacon are usually in the 10-12 pound range depending on the size of the pig. Even if you're talking about the 1lb packages of sliced slab it's doubtful, at least if you're actually eating it. Most people throw out the majority of the package though. Pound of bacon is about 2,400 calorie but as prepared (pan fry generally) 1,400 to 1,500 calories of it is thrown away. Waste of perfectly good bacon fat, although to be fair there's no way I could use it either if I were frying a pound of bacon every day. If you're just eating table spoons of butter in your coffee anyway, you might try the bacon grease instead. It might be less disgusting than coffee with table spoons of butter although frankly I doubt it. It is quite good on salad though.
Bacon is much lower on the glycemic index than steak. You can have a full slab straight without any consequence on Keto. The more saturated the fat, the easier the body can use it for energy without conversion. That's why MCT based fats like coconut and palm oil is so pure in saturated fats it triggers ketosis faster than other fats.

The more saturated the fats the less insulin is triggered. Without insulin the body must create ketones.

https://www.baconscouts.com/2019/05/...ful-keto-diet/

Bacon really is the secret to keto diet, I love bacon so much fat and sodium.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:38 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
I’ve lost close to 25 pounds since August on keto but have now intentionally dropped out of ketosis by upping my carbs slightly (still low carb and still nothing with a high glycemic index at all). I’m still losing weight but more like 1 pound a week. I’m the lightest I’ve been in nearly 20 years, have a ton more energy and feel great. Realistically if I lose 3-4 more pounds I’m done. Now my focus will shift to more weight training and cardio.

Just saw my cardiologist and she’s happy with my progress too. First time in a long time my BMI is under 25, which makes me one of the 25% of Americans who aren’t overweight.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:45 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Bacon is much lower on the glycemic index than steak. You can have a full slab straight without any consequence on Keto. The more saturated the fat, the easier the body can use it for energy without conversion. That's why MCT based fats like coconut and palm oil is so pure in saturated fats it triggers ketosis faster than other fats.

The more saturated the fats the less insulin is triggered. Without insulin the body must create ketones.

https://www.baconscouts.com/2019/05/...ful-keto-diet/

Bacon really is the secret to keto diet, I love bacon so much fat and sodium.
Right, so you've said. I just don't believe you eat ten pounds of bacon a day regardless of whether or not you just throw out most of it as most people do when they eat your normal pan friend slices of bacon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss