Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 07:03 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,410,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The study was only designed to check if WHEN you eat has anything to do with weight loss. They didn't restrict amount of food in any way==

From the article--" the time-restricted eating (TRE) group was instructed to eat ad libitum from 12:00 pm until 8:00 pm and completely abstain from caloric intake from 8:00 pm until 12:00 pm the following day.".."Ad libitum" means as much as you want of whatever you want...I bet many of those subjects actually gained weight.

Pretty dumb study.
No not a dumb study, it pretty much aligns with other time restricting eating studies that show Intermittent fasting has no clear significant advantage. Can you provide any study that shows Intermittent fasting to be superior? Didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 12:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I see you always come in with your straw man arguments. Nobody is saying that you can’t lose weight on intermittent fasting. What the evidence shows is that intermittent fasting is not SUPERIOR to other forms of caloric restriction and does not have significant benefits over other types of caloric restriction. People can lose 25lbs eating nothing but twinkies. Does that mean it is the superior way to lose weight? If you have evidence to show IF is superior I would love to see it. At the end of the day you do the diet that best works for you and that you can do long term.
Lol, you hide in this tiny diet forum on C&D because you'll get ridiculed on the internet by experts on IF and Keto. You got zero credibility and I laugh at your trolling and anti-IF and anti-Keto threads all the time. Go ahead and jump on Reddit or Youtube and tell everybody on the internet that IF doesn't work and see what kind of response you'll get. Here you're just someone that trolls IF and Keto yet you provide absolutely zero factual results and you have no medical or professional expertise. It's all FUD.

I've been on Keto and IF for over a year and it works wonders.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Lol, you hide in this tiny diet forum on C&D because you'll get ridiculed on the internet by experts on IF and Keto. You got zero credibility and I laugh at your trolling and anti-IF and anti-Keto threads all the time. Go ahead and jump on Reddit or Youtube and tell everybody on the internet that IF doesn't work and see what kind of response you'll get. Here you're just someone that trolls IF and Keto yet you provide absolutely zero factual results and you have no medical or professional expertise. It's all FUD.

I've been on Keto and IF for over a year and it works wonders.
Reading is not your strong suit and your straw manning is strong. I never said that IF doesn't work. Yes many people lose weight on IF because it works best for them. It is not the only way to lose weight. My claim is that intermittent fasting is not SUPERIOR to other forms of caloric restriction.

If intermittent fasting is a superior way to lose weight WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE? That's right YOU HAVE NONE because it DOESN'T EXIST!!!

Old 10-06-2020, 03:15 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,830,761 times
Quote:
Reading is not your strong suit and your straw manning is strong. I never said that IF doesn't work. Yes many people lose weight on IF because it works best for them. It is not the only way to lose weight. My claim is that intermittent fasting is not SUPERIOR to other forms of caloric restriction.

If intermittent fasting is a superior way to lose weight WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE? That's right YOU HAVE NONE because it DOESN'T EXIST!!!
People tend to think that if they lost weight doing a certain program than that program is superior. It gets tiresome trying to argue with them.

I tried IF a few months ago to shed about 5 pounds. I stopped eating at 9:00 pm and resumed the next day at 1:00 pm. I ate what I would normally eat while watching caloric intake. The only thin IF did for me is make it painful to go without eating at normal intervals. I managed it for a month and then went to just caloric restriction without IF. The latter was more effective and I never had to feel hungry.

But hey, if IF works for some by all means they should stick with it. When it comes down to trying to lose and maintain weight its smart to go with what one can do for the long haul. That is why most diets that restrict food groups fail so often.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:28 AM

7,282 posts, read 5,165,355 times
Quote:
No not a dumb study, it pretty much aligns with other time restricting eating studies that show Intermittent fasting has no clear significant advantage. Can you provide any study that shows Intermittent fasting to be superior? Didn't think so.
I didn't say IF is any good...I just pointed out that that particular study didn't involve any kind of diet restrictions except timing of meals....We could have guessed it wouldn't make much difference. Does the balance in your bank account change depending on what time of day you make a deposit?

I don't know what the "official definition" of IF is, but logically it would include at least one whole day without food, not "Stuff your face for 8 hrs and then wait 16 to do it again."

Another example of junk science and a waste of printer's ink.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I didn't say IF is any good...I just pointed out that that particular study didn't involve any kind of diet restrictions except timing of meals....We could have guessed it wouldn't make much difference. Does the balance in your bank account change depending on what time of day you make a deposit?

I don't know what the "official definition" of IF is, but logically it would include at least one whole day without food, not "Stuff your face for 8 hrs and then wait 16 to do it again."

The study was to show if IF which is defined as 16:8 was any better then continuous meal timing. It didn’t matter what they are during the timeframe. The purpose was to show if the timing of the meals showed a significant difference in weight loss and metabolic health. As expected it did not show any significant benefits and this study lines up with other studies that have been done that show intermittent fasting shows no significant benefits over continuous meal restriction.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Two other points to make is that it was a controlled study and both groups did lose weight but the people in the TRE group lost more lean mass (and especially appendicular lean mass) than those in CMT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss