Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 11:30 AM

1,161 posts, read 434,981 times

Advertisements

I did Keto throughout October and had some great results. All told (9/27-10/30) I lost 30 pounds.

More importantly than that I felt AMAZING....just great.

Until I lost my vision, lol.

It was only momentarily. I believe that I had a hypoglycemic reaction because I am taking medication to lower my blood sugar, and as a part of the keto diet I was eating 0-low sugar.

Once I started eating fruits I started feeling good again.

Here's my question though. I really liked the keto diet, and once I came off of it even though I was only planning on adding fruit to the diet, it's like I opened the floodgates. Now I'm eating bread and candy, I'm using cream in my coffee again. i want to get back to a strict diet.

Because I do like Keto, I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out some foods that are keto-friendly that also have enough natural sugar in them so that I don't run into the same problem I did last month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 12:04 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
I did Keto throughout October and had some great results. All told (9/27-10/30) I lost 30 pounds.

More importantly than that I felt AMAZING....just great.

Until I lost my vision, lol.

It was only momentarily. I believe that I had a hypoglycemic reaction because I am taking medication to lower my blood sugar, and as a part of the keto diet I was eating 0-low sugar.

Once I started eating fruits I started feeling good again.

Here's my question though. I really liked the keto diet, and once I came off of it even though I was only planning on adding fruit to the diet, it's like I opened the floodgates. Now I'm eating bread and candy, I'm using cream in my coffee again. i want to get back to a strict diet.

Because I do like Keto, I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out some foods that are keto-friendly that also have enough natural sugar in them so that I don't run into the same problem I did last month.
Foods with sugar would not be keto friendly. That would be a contradiction.

Are you diabetic?, I suspect you are but you did not come and say it.

Keto by itself, surprisingly will not lower your blood sugar. It will however lower your insulin levels. It makes sense, lower insulin, no drop in blood sugar. The lowering of insulin is one of the main benefits of keto. THIS is what helps people lose weight. The opposite, high insulin (from high carbs) causes people to gain weight.

What I would do would be to closely monitor your blood sugar and cut back on medication. This is what I did, I am also diabetic. No high glycemic food to raise blood sugar, no medication needed to lower it. Makes sense?

What medication are you talking about?

Old 12-04-2019, 12:40 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Why can't you just do low carb/healthy fats? Set your carbs at 50 per day. A lot of type 2 diabetics lower their A1c into the 4s and 5s that way, losing weight while at the same time keeping enough carbs.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
The OP obviously developed insulin resistance. It's a sign that the body is deficient in other nutrients. Sugar cravings and desire for carbs is actually a sodium deficiency. Vision problems is due to lack of vitamin K2.
There's no diet that says eating more sugar will improve health. It should always be moderation or avoided.

Anyone on Keto diet must monitor their nutrient intake religiously. Once you reach your diet goals, should probably go back to a paleo or balanced diet in order to make eating less of a chore. But majority of people who go back to eating a balanced diet ended up gaining weight.

All the problems associated with keto is due to being deficient in nutrients as you are only eating foods from certain groups to prioritize fat for energy.

In the process neglecting nutrients the body needs for sustenance in other places.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:08 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Serious, a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream is 50 calories. Don't sweat it. Particularly for insulin, yes, you'll have to tailor dosage to your diet and lifestyle. You can't just go from eating 200 grams of carbs a day to 20 grams and keep shooting the same dosage of insulin. Non-insulin it's less drastic but you very well may need lower dosage dependent on carb intake.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:24 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,074 times
FYI Sugar only negatively impacts insulin sensitivity when it causes over consumption of total calories. A myriad of studies showing insulin sensitivity IMPROVES in a caloric deficit even at over 100g sugar intake per day.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
FWIW, my position on a keto diet based on animal foods (meat, dairy and eggs) cannot be good for anyone, long term, and is disastrous for humans, the environment and of course (but not least of all), the animals.

I recognize that this perspective not just annoys and angers some people, but infuriates some people, though why it should is an interesting issue. But a lot of folks, actually increasingly more and more, share this perspective, and have every right to it. Personally, I can't deal with "foods" that have bone, gristle and blood. I think it's horrible. A nightmare.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
FYI Sugar only negatively impacts insulin sensitivity when it causes over consumption of total calories. A myriad of studies showing insulin sensitivity IMPROVES in a caloric deficit even at over 100g sugar intake per day.
Sugar or complex carbs? Complex carbs wouldn't surprise me. Sugar would.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:59 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sugar or complex carbs? Complex carbs wouldn't surprise me. Sugar would.
sugar

Old 12-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
sugar
Do you have a source for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss