Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 09:18 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I wasn't referring to "throughout history"; I was referring to recent history, before we lived in our cars and frequented drive-thrus and jiffy shops at all hours of the day and night.

Consuming more calories isn't the only problem with "six small meals," as I've already explained (but will again). Every time you eat, your pancreas secretes insulin. Every time your pancreas secretes insulin, your body stores fat AND makes you hungry. Every time you get hungry, you eat (these days). Eventually you become insulin-resistant...and fat.

Additionally, your body never has the opportunity to BURN your body fat for fuel since you're constantly supplying it with a more readily available source (food).

This is why three whole foods meals a day with no snacking in between is the bare minimum one should do to lose weight; going longer between meals is even better.
That's why people will keep failing on their diet quest because they don't understand the digestion mechanism and how food is stored as fat or when it gets used. Majority of people won't burn fat because they don't give the body any time to properly digest before they consume more food.

The whole multiple small meals is very bad for digestion which over time leads to insulin resistance which means that the body consistently releases insulin and it doesn't know when or where the body needs it anymore since it's no longer properly managing insulin which causes the body to be in this fat storage mode and never burn any fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 09:20 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's why people will keep failing on their diet quest because they don't understand the digestion mechanism and how food is stored as fat or when it gets used. Majority of people won't burn fat because they don't give the body any time to properly digest before they consume more food.

The whole multiple small meals is very bad for digestion which over time leads to insulin resistance which means that the body consistently releases insulin and it doesn't know when or where the body needs it anymore since it's no longer properly managing insulin which causes the body to be in this fat storage mode and never burn any fat.
More bad information. I am so curious, are you still overweight, or are you at your goal?

Old 02-09-2021, 09:20 AM

21,887 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Exactly; it isn't just a matter of "calories in, calories out" (although it's that, too).

Old 02-09-2021, 09:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
More bad information. I am so curious, are you still overweight, or are you at your goal?
Lol, your information is so out of date. Counting calories have not proved to be a worthy long term diet plan. I've reached my goal awhile already but losing weight is not my ultimate goal. Everyone is focusing on losing weight but weight loss is just part of being healthy. People just don't understand that weight loss happens naturally when your body gets healthier.

I'm not gonna get into more pointless debate, the fact is getting healthy by changing a person's metabolism leads to weight loss naturally. I don't have to count calories, the body doesn't understand calories.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Lol, your information is so out of date. Counting calories have not proved to be a worthy long term diet plan. I've reached my goal awhile already but losing weight is not my ultimate goal. Everyone is focusing on losing weight but weight loss is just part of being healthy. People just don't understand that weight loss happens naturally when your body gets healthier.

I'm not gonna get into more pointless debate, the fact is getting healthy by changing a person's metabolism leads to weight loss naturally. I don't have to count calories, the body doesn't understand calories.
Hmmm, calories out works for me. I am at my goal with but whenever I need to lose 5 pounds all I have to do is cut back on my calories. I lost my initial 40 pounds doing WW and I will stand by it. It took me six months and I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I did not have to cut out bread or sugar or meat or whatever. It was very sustainable for me.

I also know that CICO is not for everyone. Just like the way you eat is not for everyone. We have to find out what works for us individually. If you began your posts as suggestions instead of dogma I wouldn't be so critical or your advice.
Also I have seen you give some really horrendous advice.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:17 AM

21,887 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Hmmm, calories out works for me. I am at my goal with but whenever I need to lose 5 pounds all I have to do is cut back on my calories. I lost my initial 40 pounds doing WW and I will stand by it. It took me six months and I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I did not have to cut out bread or sugar or meat or whatever. It was very sustainable for me.

I also know that CICO is not for everyone. Just like the way you eat is not for everyone. We have to find out what works for us individually. If you began your posts as suggestions instead of dogma I wouldn't be so critical or your advice.
Also I have seen you give some really horrendous advice.
The danger of CICO is that your metabolism will eventually slow to match your reduced caloric intake so you can never again eat a normal (or increased) number of calories without putting on weight. This doesn't happen with fasting because you feast (eat your normal day's calories) after every fast, thus not allowing the slowing of the metabolism.

But, as you say, whatever works for you!

Old 02-10-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The danger of CICO is that your metabolism will eventually slow to match your reduced caloric intake so you can never again eat a normal (or increased) number of calories without putting on weight. This doesn't happen with fasting because you feast (eat your normal day's calories) after every fast, thus not allowing the slowing of the metabolism.

But, as you say, whatever works for you!
No it wont, especially if you exercise. If fasting works for you great, but it's not for everyone.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:39 AM

433 posts, read 533,089 times
Per the Mayo Clinic website--
"It may be tempting to blame your metabolism for weight gain. But because metabolism is a natural process, your body has many mechanisms that regulate it to meet your individual needs....All of these factors result in an imbalance in the energy equation. You gain weight when you eat more calories than you burn — or burn fewer calories than you eat.
While it is true that some people seem to be able to lose weight more quickly and more easily than others, everyone loses weight when they burn up more calories than they eat. To lose weight, you need to create an energy deficit by eating fewer calories or increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity or both."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...m/art-20046508

Old 02-10-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
Per the Mayo Clinic website--
"It may be tempting to blame your metabolism for weight gain. But because metabolism is a natural process, your body has many mechanisms that regulate it to meet your individual needs....All of these factors result in an imbalance in the energy equation. You gain weight when you eat more calories than you burn — or burn fewer calories than you eat.
While it is true that some people seem to be able to lose weight more quickly and more easily than others, everyone loses weight when they burn up more calories than they eat. To lose weight, you need to create an energy deficit by eating fewer calories or increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity or both."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...m/art-20046508
Well thats just too much common sense. Why not eliminate food groups, or only eat once a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss