Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 08:29 AM

16,432 posts, read 8,242,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
If you can quit the drinking that will help I have dealt with someone in my family who is an alcoholic. That person also would say same as you said "So much cheaper to drink at home". When you find 1 LT of rum in the dryer, under the bathroom sink, behind the hamper in the closet it's gone way too far. That was 25 years ago that person has passed on because of the drinking she refused to get help.

The problem is alcohol is a depressant it will bring up all the bad things in your life amplify them. People who eat to feel better when depressed will tend to eat lot of bad food when drinking not thinking straight. If you can't go more then a week without drinking you need to seek help ASAP before gets worse becomes even more difficult to give it up.
That is scary. The person you knew died from alcohol?

I'm not making excuses, but one reason I think we started bringing alcohol in the house is because we weren't really able to go out to eat much to get a drink there. I think it has gone too far with the booze though for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 09:10 AM

13,282 posts, read 7,330,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

I'm not making excuses, but one reason I think we started bringing alcohol in the house is because we weren't really able to go out to eat much to get a drink there. I think it has gone too far with the booze though for me.
Yes she passed on from drinking. I don't want to turn this into something about alcoholism, but if you feel it's gone to far just quit drinking. Your unable to control it then you need to seek help is all I can say try not drinking for a month. The person who I knew she was very shy, and low self-esteem until she got into her early 20's and started drinking for her it was a way she boosted her self-esteem. That is the reason she refused to stop drinking she once said to me drinking was the best thing ever happend to her, but the weekend parties and circle of friends all were replaced with drinking alone she would just get too belligerent.

She had this idea she worked I'm not an alcoholic in her mind she drink 2 LT of Rum a week. No one wanted to be around her she get too drunk all the time. I thought I could change her, but can't make someone become sober they have to choose. If you choose sooner then later it's lot easier. The experience changed me I haven't touched alcohol in years. Many people start drinking in their 20's are able to control it always that one person everyone knows who can't.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:16 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:

Hate to be a rag, but I'm also sober 26 years 8 months just about to the day. But who's counting

In the decades since, I managed to develop a weight problem sober: possible "transference of addiction" as they say. And that is another story of course. But alcohol made things so...much...worse and I was a healthy young partying guy in his mid-20s when I rear-viewed all of that. Woke up one Sunday morning after closing down the bar(s) the night before, looked around and assessed how I felt, and said:

"Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son!" - "Animal House (1978)"

Well, 2/3 applied to me, I'll let you guess which two. All liquor went into the trash, and all the ash trays. I've had nary a drop since, though a few cigarettes and I don't care about the latter truth to tell. I care plenty about the sobriety.

It's hard...few rewarding things in life are easy...and don't mean to detour your thread but I've seen zero problems in life that alcohol makes better.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:14 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,930,351 times
Quote:
I'm hoping the elliptical helps out, but Ive had it for two weeks and nothing has changed weight wise.
Don't judge it by two weeks. It may not be enough time. When I first started trying to lose weight, a month went by before I started noticing a decrease in pounds. What I did was went out hiking or for a walk an average of 3 times per week for about an hour each time and then changed my diet to incorporate a lot more fruits and vegetables. I rarely ate really unhealthy things like chocolate, cake, ice cream, fried food or stuff like that (except for maybe a few times a month) and ate out once or twice a month (I don't drink alcohol at all). I made almost all my dinners at home and made sure to include a balanced diet in most meals, especially dinner. Since the end of July I've lost almost 15 pounds.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:27 AM

Thank you all for the advice. I'm definitely have to blame it on the a a a a a alcohol. I am upset that I've gotten as heavy as I have and I have these cravings that are so hard to control I think I am going to start using my fitness pal app again.

Today I'm also home by myself with my 4 and 6 yr old and also have to do my own job. Difficult to not want to reach for some unhealthy type of snack/meal. We also made halloween cookies the other day. Bad time of year to lose weight, but at least there are no parties.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:50 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I think someone mentioned it upthread, but I always find it helpful to use a food tracking app and be diligent about entering what I consume. Some people say that counting calories doesn't work, but it does for me--it's like having a daily budget, and you decide how you're going to spend that budget. And you know, sometimes I don't want to waste the calories on a cookie or a beer, and other times I do, because I know that the choices that I've made for the rest of the day and week will balance that out.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:44 AM

My problem is controlling cravings. If I want a food that is high in calories like cream sauce or mayonnaise it's hard for me to just say no.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:35 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
My problem is controlling cravings. If I want a food that is high in calories like cream sauce or mayonnaise it's hard for me to just say no.
Exact same problem here. Also, your post above talks about having the kids at home and working yourself, feeling stressed, and needing to grab something. I definitely feel your pain. This is *always* my issue and no matter how well I change my habits, that never goes away. I've had a very stressful week at work (even though I'm at home). My husband has no issues with weight gain. He's works in the trades, is on his feet moving all day, plus he runs and cycles many, many miles each week. He keeps snacks around the house for work: trail mix, these really fabulous gummy bears, and cookies. Well, this week, I'm crushed through a HUGE bag of gummy bears. I just cannot stop eating them. By the end of this week, I am up a pound for it. Every day I say I am going to stop and I honestly can't. It's really, really hard and everyone has their weakness. Just know you're not alone in this!

Old 10-31-2020, 06:06 AM

4,193 posts, read 2,516,403 times
I've lost 25 lbs since the pandemic started. Its been fairly easy even with stopping the gym. Diet: no wheat, no sugar other than naturally occurring, no yeast, no eggs, no dairy other than plain Greek yogurt, very limited salt. I eat all the fruit, veggies, meat, beans, rice, plain oatmeal, nuts I want (though I don't eat red meat). I don't drink so its not a problem. Exercise will be a challenge this winter, since all spring and summer it has been yard work, both maintenance and then getting restless, I planted shrubs, moved them, dug out and redid the entire perennial bed. I am never hungry. If I want something like candy, I'll eat dried dates; if I want something super sweet, its canned pineapple in pineapple juice. Instead of ice-cream, I will have plain Greek yogurt and frozen bananas defrosted; they come out of the skin almost like a sweet custard, just freeze ripe and over ripe ones, the greener ones don't get sweet during freezing.

If I went back to eating like I did last year I'd get sick. Its a lifestyle change. I am in my 8th decade and I still don't take any daily meds, no BP or cholesterol meds and that I'm sure is due in large part to diet. Now, its time to go rake some leaves and clean gutters and burn some more calories...already did my yoga and dumbbell routine.

The sugar foods are addictive; they are designed to be. Thus, for me, its all or nothing and I have chosen nothing. If the family can't deal with it, that's their issue not mine. They know I am not going to eat cakes no matter how tempting.

But goodness...what I wouldn't give for a plate of spaghetti with tomato sauce, cheese and feta on top!

Last edited by webster; 10-31-2020 at 06:24 AM..

Old 10-31-2020, 06:28 AM

50,383 posts, read 64,034,538 times
We enjoy a cocktail every night, and with your schedule and the kids at home, I wouldn’t give up your cocktail. Find a mixer you like with no calories, like sugar free tonic.

Just lay off the white flour and sugar, and I bet that is all you need to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss