Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 10:48 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
How long do you fast for? Or does that just become the way you eat? Not eating after 6pm until noon the next day.
Some do it all the time; others just until they reach their weight loss goal. I was never a breakfast eater anyway, so it works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 11:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Fasting does seem extreme and yes eating disorder does come to mind. Not saying anyone here has one just because they fasted. I will try the fasting thing. I do consider being aslee fasting lol. Are you saying that you maybe wouldn’t eat anything at all until 2pm or so? I’ve tried this but then probably made bad choices once I did start eating.
Eating disorder? 3+ meals a day is an eating disorder. I think majority of people have been molded by the food industry to eat big breakfast and lunch. It is not only bad for dieting it is bad for your health in the long run. Breakfast breaks your body's digestion and increases blood sugar spike. That's why people get cravings before noon.

Americans are all over eating. If you think fasting is an eating disorder, how is your 3 meal plan diet working out. I haven't ate breakfast for years and lunch is the only meal that I recently discarded and my vitals have never been better.

You wanna know why some people look so old and fat? Because they eat too frequently and too much salt and sugar. When you fast your body produces human growth hormones faster and it burns dead body tissues which leads to better skin and body rejuvenation.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Eating disorder? 3+ meals a day is an eating disorder. I think majority of people have been molded by the food industry to eat big breakfast and lunch. It is not only bad for dieting it is bad for your health in the long run. Breakfast breaks your body's digestion and increases blood sugar spike. That's why people get cravings before noon.

Americans are all over eating. If you think fasting is an eating disorder, how is your 3 meal plan diet working out. I haven't ate breakfast for years and lunch is the only meal that I recently discarded and my vitals have never been better.

You wanna know why some people look so old and fat? Because they eat too frequently and too much salt and sugar. When you fast your body produces human growth hormones faster and it burns dead body tissues which leads to better skin and body rejuvenation.
Studies reveal that cutting calories (eating roughly half what most people do, and yes, that also makes you thin) is associated with both good health AND longevity!

Old 12-29-2020, 11:20 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
My grandmother ate 3 meals a day and lived to be 94.

Maybe eating 3 meals a day has become dated for many. I used to not eat breakfast or I’d just have coffee. I just wasn’t hungry. Now that’s changed and I typically have an egg sandwich. I am trying to not do that lately.

I still don’t think 3 meals a day is an eating disorder. It’s simply what we know.

For 7 years until I was about 40 years old I had a job where I just had coffee for breakfast and occasionally I’d get a banana or pumpkin bread. The company paid for our lunch and I rarely ordered something healthy. I feel like I usually got a massaman curry with tofu and rice. I’d eat that then go home and often didn’t have dinner. I guess that’s it right there. Lunch was biggest meal and I didn’t eat much at all after that.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:30 AM

I don't know about your grandmother, but mine gardened, kept farm animals, did housework by hand (no labor-saving appliances), and walked everywhere. We're far more sedentary today and thus need far fewer calories. The surplus is stored as FAT.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:33 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
My grandmother wasn’t getting much exercise, walking I guess.

I definitely don’t need all the calories I eat. I just love to eat. I wish I didn’t.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:54 PM

521 posts, read 163,150 times
Quote:
My grandmother wasn’t getting much exercise, walking I guess.

I definitely don’t need all the calories I eat. I just love to eat. I wish I didn’t.

It has nothing to do with loving to eat. We all love to eat and do eat what we love but not all end up being overweight or fat. Growing fat and being fat comes from a habitual way of life. Your daily life has change from when you were working at the office (120 pounds) to working from home now (140 and rising). You can't fight this by working out or restricting your food intake because it's like trying to push a heavy load uphill. It's too hard. Eventually, you will become fat just like the fat people you see.

I was in a similar weight-gaining situation: a few pounds a year from ideal weight (125 and 28" waist to middle-age spread (144 and 34" belly). I felt being in the grip of the trend that turns thin-as-a-rake movie and rock stars into fat slobs (e.g. Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando, Elvis Presley, etc). Hey, that's part of aging, I thought, and resigned myself to a sad fact of life every time I look at those sharp Armani and Canali suits, in my wardrobe, that I can force myself into anymore.

Then, something happened that changed by attitude. I was going through a dicey financial situation that could have landed me in dire straits. I was terrified as I negotiated my way out. In a matter of a week, my weight dropped from 144 to 130 when I managed to escape financial disaster. That was a game changer with regard to giving in to a destiny as a fat slob. I don't take life for granted anymore be it about my net worth or my weight. Both come with serious consequences if I don't get serious and watch it. In the case of money, I can end up diving dumpsters for my dinner. As for weight, in your case, any heavier than 144, losing your husband would be the least of your misery. Health issues will turn your life into a living Hell.

These days, I watch my weight, and everything else in my life, like a hawk. You can't risk getting sloppy if you care about yourself and those around you. Weight-wise, once a week, I step onto the scales and watch the readout at 130. Another great thing is, I can, once more, slip into those fancy suits I got myself when I was a young stud.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:47 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Too complicated for most people, and the goal IS weight loss.
When the goal is weight loss, people almost never lose the weight and keep it off over the long run. It's really that simple.

Quote:
Some people do lose weight on the Mediterranean diet but some don't and some gain weight on t. I think its better as a healthy lifestyle choice for someone at the weight they want to be at than a weight loss diet. I tried it for a few weeks and didn't lose an ounce. By cutting way back on excessive carbs without going keto, I've lost a little over 5 lbs in 16 days and don't know for sure how much I lost the first 10 days before that when I didn't have a good scale but its probably safe to say 2-3 more.
I do think limiting carbs is a good idea, especially from anything that isn't a whole grain. I.E. I like couscous, but I don't go crazy with it because it's a simple carb. Same for pasta (even whole wheat). Modest amounts of brown rice seem to fill me up and I don't feel bloated like I do with pasta. So it is somewhat individual, but there are some broad principles. I'm not saying Mediterranean is the only way to go. But the general, the principles of it are great. There's a reason people there live longer with fewer health care costs and fewer chronic diseases (i.e. they use less health care). And I just find that I like it. But if someone finds they like Asian foods better, then that probably works, too. I do think going heavy on meat has a lot of issues, especially the way it is produced in the U.S.

Quote:
The best thing about it is I'm rarely hungry now so I can eat just a few bites and be satisfied. Thats my main goal is simply to eat less when I reach my weight, rather than stick to some "diet" or another. Diets are very hard, and few can stick to them for very long.
When I say "diet" I don't mean it in the same sense of the word. I just mean diet as in "way of eating". A diet heavy on beans, legumes, & vegetables with small portions of meat tends to be much healthier and keep the weight down as a side effect.

I just think it's pretty rare that focusing on weight alone works. I think you have to work on the habits and the weight drops off as a side effect.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Fasting does seem extreme and yes eating disorder does come to mind. Not saying anyone here has one just because they fasted. I will try the fasting thing. I do consider being aslee fasting lol. Are you saying that you maybe wouldn’t eat anything at all until 2pm or so? I’ve tried this but then probably made bad choices once I did start eating.
When I fast I always do it with a spiritual purpose. I normally fast for someone or something that resonates with me. Sometimes I tell a close friend to keep me accountable. Even if I don't make it the whole 24 hours, it definitely helps.

Your system starts cleaning itself up every hour beyond 8 hours that you don't eat something. So it's not just about weight loss. There's a lot of scientific evidence that it's good for your body. But since it's hard to do, I always find doing it with a spiritual purpose helps me stick to it. Your mileage may vary.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
How long do you fast for? Or does that just become the way you eat? Not eating after 6pm until noon the next day.
I'm not perfect about it by any means.

I usually try to fast once a week.....so that I actually do it once a month. I try to do it on a weekend or day when I won't be busy. Sometimes something comes up. Someone calls and asks to go out to eat (not so much during Covid!). Or I forget. Or I blow it. But if I try to do it once a week, I can successfully do a 24 hour fast once a month.

I find eating healthy the day before, especially my last meal before I do a fast, helps a lot.

But even if you can consistenly keep your eating to a 12 hour time window, that will be good for your health.

And like I said, I have to find a purpose/reason that resonates with me on an emotional level. Then I pray about it when I start/finish the fast. That helps me stick to it. Sometimes I do a group fast with people I know (i.e. I send a text to people who are open to such things a week in advance and state the spiritual purpose of the fast) and that also helps me stick to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss