Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 04:07 PM

575 posts, read 339,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sorry, I did mean 2 pounds per week.
OK, you just scared me there for a minute

Quote:
Are you consulting with your PCP at all during this process?
You mean, like a doctor or something ? No, I don't have an insurance, so no doctor last ~half decade.

Last time I had some checkup/blood work done was probably a decade ago. Well, I did have a carpal tunnel surgery 3-4 yrs ago, I reckon they did some blood work back then, though probably no cholesterol, blood sugar or somesuch nonsense...

If it's bad enough, I will consider dialing 911...

Quote:
and coping with hours of hunger a day, is, if not a diagnosable eating disorder, disorded eating.
Yeah, but what is the alternative ? Technically, I can burn 2,000 calories on an elliptical in a single 3-hour session, after 3 weeks of ramping up the resistance.

But it's zombifying. I cannot even watch Netflix after that. I just sit and stare. Can't sleep.
Not to mention that I need giant amount of food after such session, negating 50% of the effort right off the bat.

And, juicing is brutal, not healthy at all, completely starving your body and letting it consume all the muscles first.

So, I'm currently thinking that a slow-paced diet, spread across 6-12 months, is safest best, long-term.

Quote:
But the fact remains that a large man trying to live on the caloric intake recommended for a smaller woman
Yes, I am somewhat larger and if I recall correctly, when I was 16 and 6'3", I was 180 pounds and extremely thin (could count my ribs, see 6-pack and all tendons), which is before I did some bodybuilding and acquired some heavy muscle mass. Though, god knows how much of that is still there...

I reckon I can't realistically go under 200 pounds right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
... and add in any calories you burn off from exercise...
Good point, I was disregarding that I do burn some calories with walking my Husky.

So, I just used https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-walking/

I put in 235 pounds, 2.5 mph pace and 3 hours of walking that I am doing right now each day.

I got 1,007 calories burned. That seems quite excessive...

Now, during those 3 hours, if I sat on couch, I would burn 100 cal per hour, so 300 in total.

Hence, 1,007 - 300 = ~700. Still seems pretty excessive for just 3 hours of walking...

And, if that was true, that would put my 1250-1500 calorie per day into 550-800 calorie (net). That's gotta be nonsense.....

Old 02-23-2021, 05:53 PM

433 posts, read 532,451 times
Awhile back I became interested in the number of calories needed for a patient who is bedridden and came up with---
"Your daily calorie needs vary and depend on your age, gender, activity level and resting energy expenditure, or REE. The REE is the amount of energy required to maintain your normal body processes, including breathing, digestion and circulation, and maintenance and repair of your cells and body tissue. The REE accounts for most of your daily calorie needs. So, even though you are inactive, you still have to eat a certain number of calories for your body to work properly.

Estimating Your Needs
To estimate your calorie needs when you are bedridden, you must first estimate your REE. The REE for men is weight in pounds multiplied by 11, and for women weight in pounds multiplied by 10. Then, multiply your REE by a factor of 1.3 to determine your daily calorie needs when you are bedridden. For example, a bedridden male weighing 150 pounds needs 2,145 calories a day to maintain his weight. That is calculated as: 150 x 11 x 1.3 = 2,145."

If you are engaging in any normal activities you would need to up the ante.

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/...-12230770.html

By the way, I think you are making fairly good progress!!

Old 02-23-2021, 07:24 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
OK, I am a small male and quite sedentary. If I was to eat 1500-calories a day, I would be cranky, really hungry, cold, weak and obsessed with food.

Oatmeal is mostly just carbs, a lot of your diet seems to be carbs. This may be a problem for you....it is in fact a problem for million of Americans and billions of humans on planet earth.

How are you going to transition out of this losing-phase you are in??? If you eat a healthy, calorie appropriate diet, you should gradually reach an appropriate weight for your height and build.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:30 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I could talk about cutting carbs, but I'm assuming others have mentioned that. OP, to speed up your weight loss, get some cheap hand weights and leg weights at the sporting goods store, and put together a workout for yourself. Building lean muscle mass speeds weight loss, and helps you trim up. Without building lean muscle mass, you likely will lose weight, but you'll look like a bowl of jello. By working out, you'll look lean when you reach your goal.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:02 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
You are doing a great job on it. At 6'3", weighing 235 with a 38" waist is not that bad and may be pretty close to where you need to be, depending on your frame. You are going to have a larger waist at 6'3" unless you want to look sickly thin. I am a few inches taller and I can weigh between about 250 to 275 and people can't really tell the difference. People think I weigh about 200. My ideal weight is about 245-250. If I go to 240, or below, it is too thin and I don't feel well. My weight can fluctuate 10-12 pounds during the year, depending on winter/summer. Water weight can be fairly significant.

If you have a lot of muscle mass, you are going to weigh more. I would do something cardiovascular like bike riding for 45 min. Not just touring, but getting your heart rate up and down.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:18 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Alternate day fasting.

That weight will drop off you FAST!

Old 02-24-2021, 05:31 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
Walking, you’ll be amazed. Four to five miles a day, work up to it. You must burn calories at the age of 44. Walk two hours a day until you achieve your weight goal.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
By the way, I think you are making fairly good progress!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
For example, a bedridden male weighing 150 pounds needs 2,145 calories a day to maintain his weight. That is calculated as: 150 x 11 x 1.3 = 2,145."
So, for me, this would be 235 x 11 x 1.3 = 3,359 calories

I find that really hard to believe - that's ~3.5k . Or is there any reason why bedridden person actually consumes more calories than a non-bedridden ?

Old 02-24-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
OK, I am a small male and quite sedentary. If I was to eat 1500-calories a day, I would be cranky, really hungry, cold, weak and obsessed with food.
Cranky : Check
really hungry : I think you meant REALLY HUNGRY
cold : Check
weak: Check
Obsessed with food: Nothing beats waking up at 4am (like yesterday) feeling REALLY HUNGRY, while dreaming of eating 6-course meal

Quote:
Oatmeal is mostly just carbs, a lot of your diet seems to be carbs. This may be a problem for you....it is in fact a problem for million of Americans and billions of humans on planet earth.
Funny thing is, I removed about 95% of carbs from my diet by not eating bread every day.
I'm aware of carbs in rice/potatoes/pasta, but I just noticed this morning the amount of carbs in my cans of corn/peas/beans/etc.
Hmmmmm

Quote:
If you eat a healthy, calorie appropriate diet, you should gradually reach an appropriate weight for your height and build.
But how would that work actually ? It's taking me ~6 months to loose 40 pounds with a diet that everybody here seems to imply is a starvation diet (which, I now agree, now that I put it all into numbers).
Meaning, if I ate 500+ calories more per day, I would drastically slow the weight loss even further.

Or am I missing something ?

Quote:
How are you going to transition out of this losing-phase you are in???
Oh, I am not worried about that one

The only reason I am undergoing this right now is, that despite having technically lost 140 pounds in last 3 years, I gained 50 pounds because on both occasions, immediately after doing the juice diet, I got back together with my ex, and since her "diet" consists of all-you-can-eat chinese buffet, I gained 25 pounds during first week, both times.

So, while I am having some resentment at myself for doing that, it serves a great purpose of making sure I will transition very slowly from the ~1,500 calories into more.

Meaning - I will first insert 300 calories for 10 days, then another 200 for another 10-14 days and then another 200 calories.

I am targeting 2,200 calories once I drop down to about ~200 (unsure if that happens) - all homemade food, but still daily oatmeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss