Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 09:11 AM

75 posts, read 65,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I'm not sure what to do. I exercise daily walking a couple of miles and light weight lifting. I am a 60 year old male and have lost about 10 lbs but hit a wall. I am at 258 lbs and 6'4 is my height. I want to get to 250 and go from there.

I have lowered sugar and carb intake but my biggest problem is, I'm always hungry.

I am open to suggestions
What does light weight lifting entail for you?
And how frequently are you doing it?

The reason I ask is because some people start an exercise routine, get some results and then plateau. And one reason for this is because they stop progressing their workouts.

They keep doing the same routine and don’t challenge themselves more (aka doing more weight, more reps, more sets). Same applies for cardio. The body adapts to the workout routine you do and that’s why it’s important to always be progressing (assuming your form is quality).

From the exercise side, I’d take a look at how many miles are you walking per day. And start increasing the distance (or increasing the speed). And for weight-lifting, increase the weight, reps or sets. Even if you are starting light, most everybody can progress.

From the nutrition side, what are your current staple meals?
Because certain foods can make cravings worse and make it harder to curb your appetite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 02:14 PM

761 posts, read 447,379 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what to do. I exercise daily walking a couple of miles and light weight lifting. I am a 60 year old male and have lost about 10 lbs but hit a wall. I am at 258 lbs and 6'4 is my height. I want to get to 250 and go from there.

I have lowered sugar and carb intake but my biggest problem is, I'm always hungry.

I am open to suggestions
Instead of just lowering your sugar consumption I would eliminate sugar completely.

Lowering carbs? Carbs should be whole unprocessed grains, like steel-cut oats, or bread made from sprouts.

To satisfy your protein intake you can calculate it online.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:34 AM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
I'd suggest a large garden salad with a vinaigrette dressing a couple times a week, if not every night. I find a tall mug of hot bullion helps before and after meals. A glass of metamucil will help with a high fiber diet. (it's not a laxative.)

It works for me. The veggies keep me full, the bullion fools my system into feeling full(er) after the salad and the metamucil keeps things moving along smoothly.That and walking 6 to 10 miles over a week - not at once! Got me from 265 down to 220 over the last two years.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:38 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Do Keto for at least 2 weeks to reset your system. This will knock out the cravings. Then keep doing Keto or switch to a hybrid diet, minus all junk carbs and sugar. Sugar is evil.

I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks on Keto. A month later, lost another 10 pounds and my chronic heartburn disappeared too. No cravings anymore! 15 more pounds to go for me and I'll be back at my high school weight.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:03 AM

310 posts, read 323,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Do Keto for at least 2 weeks to reset your system. This will knock out the cravings. Then keep doing Keto or switch to a hybrid diet, minus all junk carbs and sugar. Sugar is evil.

I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks on Keto. A month later, lost another 10 pounds and my chronic heartburn disappeared too. No cravings anymore! 15 more pounds to go for me and I'll be back at my high school weight.
10 pounds in two weeks is about 6 pounds of water, maybe a little less. Sugar is not evil if eaten in moderation. Keto is fine if you can commit to the strictness of it, which most people cannot. Any diet that eliminates food groups is setting you up for failure.

There is no mystery when it comes to losing weight. Eat less, move more. It really is jus that simple - except for:
Taking medications that have a side effect of weight gain.
Menopause and post menopause for women - not impossible to lose weight but gets harder.
Having a legitimate metabolism problem (very rare).

Eat foods that are nutrient dense and as unadulterated as possible. Keep a food journal and be honest in your recordings. Exercise thats gets your heart rate up and sustains it for increasingly longer periods of time. Drink lots of water.
There are absolutely ZERO ways that makes weight loss easy. It is a commitment where excuses don't cut it.

That said if you stick to it does become easier as your confidence grows.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:07 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
As others have suggested, write down what you eat and the calorie count. I keep a notebook and every day I record everything I eat. My blood sugar levels (I'm type 2 diabetic) and how far I walk. I find it helps quite a bit.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:51 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:

I am open to suggestions
Find out your estimate of your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR).

These are your daily maintenance cals needed to stay in he same, not gain or lose.

It'll be an estimate.

Count calories for 2 weeks.

Keep records of you Macro percentage.

If you're always hungry you may be in a deep caloric deficit and you can stall because of it.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:24 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
The problem is my dang appetite. How do I curb it?
Eat more protein. A LOT more.
Steak and eggs for breakfast, but skip the toast and all that; they're just fillers, anyway.
A mountain of pulled pork or barbeque for lunch, but without the bun.
Protein. Lots of it.
Try it for a few days and see if things don't work better for you.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:42 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Eat more protein. A LOT more.
Steak and eggs for breakfast, but skip the toast and all that; they're just fillers, anyway.
A mountain of pulled pork or barbeque for lunch, but without the bun.
Protein. Lots of it.
Try it for a few days and see if things don't work better for you.
And then, go to your local gastroenterologist when your organs start failing as a result of overburdening them.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:04 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
And then, go to your local gastroenterologist when your organs start failing as a result of overburdening them.
Right, haha. The cortisol diet

BEANS, eat more BEANS and lentils and rice. Adding lots of beans to my meals has probably been the #1 best health change I’ve made in a while. People who think carbs are addictive or poison or whatever are lost in the woods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss