Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 01:23 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You will. Make some adjustments if you think they will help and weigh yourself every day.
If you have chosen a sustainable program, by the time your weight is right where it belongs your "diet" will have become a deeply ingrained habit that you won't be able to break!
Weigh yourself and repeat: Trust The Process
I do weigh myself every day. I will try the mantra, lol.

As I said, I know what to do, and the weight is coming off, but three years ago, it was coming off twice as fast. I did not gain everything back that I lost then, but life was interrupted by the illness, caregiving and ultimate death of my fiance, and there was not much room in my life for taking care of myself. Now as I move forward into the dark abyss of not knowing what comes next in my life, my focus has been on my own health.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-27-2023 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 01:38 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
You know this, but getting enjoyable movement every day and eating nutritious food is good for you no matter what it says on the scale. The point is good health above all.

Old 08-27-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You know this, but getting enjoyable movement every day and eating nutritious food is good for you no matter what it says on the scale. The point is good health above all.
Yes, it is true, and trust me, I value the mental health benefits of the exercise as much as any physical improvements they may bring about.

I am just tired of being fat. I am the opposite of anorexic, where they look at themselves and see a fat person. I think I look all right until I see photos of myself, lol. My daughter turned 32 the other day, and I weigh one pound less than the day before I gave birth to her. Kind of hard to keep blaming my fat body on having a baby, lmao.

Old 08-27-2023, 03:16 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I'm doing all that, but it's still very slow. I think it's just my age.
I don't know your base weight, but avg 2-3lbs a month is not terrible, especially if it's consistent and all fat. Better than rapid weight loss programs that are not sustainable, and cause you to lose muscle until you eventually fall off the wagon and gain the fat (but not the muscle) back.

Losing weight after 50 is very hard because our BMR will slow down, and we simply cannot push ourselves to burn crazy amounts of calories working out. Our joints won't take it, our energy won't be there.

But you can always progressively overload, week by week. If week 1 you walk on a threadmill for 45 minutes at 3.5mph, the next week you can bump it up to 3.6mph.

As you lose weight, even fat, your BMR slows, so you need to cut a little more. For example if you allowed yourself a cheat day, maybe after you lose 10-15lbs, you allow yourself only 2 cheat meals vs 1 day (I assume 3 cheat meals in 1 day + perhaps snacking).

Eventually, the weight will completely come off. 2-3lbs/month is between 24-36lbs a year. Over 2 years, that's 48-72lbs. You probably didn't gain all that weight in a few months, so don't expect it to come off faster than you put it on.

As Listener said, trust the process. Set realistic expectations, enjoy the journey. Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. If you leave the gates sprinting you will inevitably exhaust yourself and quit far from the finish line.

at the end of the day, the most important thing is health. By adjusting your diet and progressively increasing your workout volume, you will be healthier, live longer, and have a better quality of life than if you just give up now.

Old 08-27-2023, 08:47 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Old 08-27-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I don't know your base weight, but avg 2-3lbs a month is not terrible, especially if it's consistent and all fat. Better than rapid weight loss programs that are not sustainable, and cause you to lose muscle until you eventually fall off the wagon and gain the fat (but not the muscle) back.

Losing weight after 50 is very hard because our BMR will slow down, and we simply cannot push ourselves to burn crazy amounts of calories working out. Our joints won't take it, our energy won't be there.

But you can always progressively overload, week by week. If week 1 you walk on a threadmill for 45 minutes at 3.5mph, the next week you can bump it up to 3.6mph.

As you lose weight, even fat, your BMR slows, so you need to cut a little more. For example if you allowed yourself a cheat day, maybe after you lose 10-15lbs, you allow yourself only 2 cheat meals vs 1 day (I assume 3 cheat meals in 1 day + perhaps snacking).

Eventually, the weight will completely come off. 2-3lbs/month is between 24-36lbs a year. Over 2 years, that's 48-72lbs. You probably didn't gain all that weight in a few months, so don't expect it to come off faster than you put it on.

As Listener said, trust the process. Set realistic expectations, enjoy the journey. Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. If you leave the gates sprinting you will inevitably exhaust yourself and quit far from the finish line.

at the end of the day, the most important thing is health. By adjusting your diet and progressively increasing your workout volume, you will be healthier, live longer, and have a better quality of life than if you just give up now.
Well, I am not giving up. I was pretty clear about that. Just lamenting the slownness compared to three years ago.

And no, no sprinting for me. Lol. Figuratively or literally.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:53 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Quote:
Well, I am not giving up. I was pretty clear about that. Just lamenting the slownness compared to three years ago.

And no, no sprinting for me. Lol. Figuratively or literally.

Just think if you gave up now and in the future wanted to try again it would be that much harder due to older age and health changes that may occur. Keep going.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Just think if you gave up now and in the future wanted to try again it would be that much harder due to older age and health changes that may occur. Keep going.
Yeah, I'm aware, that's why I was pretty clear about how I'm NOT giving up, just whining about the slowdown since three years ago. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'm experiencing now, because I believe it's the age difference somehow.

Not that I "gave up" before, I just got whacked upside the head by being turned overnight into a caregiver and not being able to focus on myself or what I was eating because I was full-time caring for someone. There was no room in my days for careful meal-planning/prep for myself. And well-meaning people tend to bring comfort food to the house in these situations--meatloaf and mashed potatoes with cream gravy, baked pastas, ice cream, cookies.

Anyway, thanks for all the encouragement. I will prevail, albeit slowly.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:59 AM

Yay, finally the scale showed another pound down. It will go back up, as it always does. I know by now that this is how it works. It will go up and down, up and down, those same few numbers, then one day I see a lower number that I didn't see before. Today was a day that I saw the next number down. Tomorrow it will be back up a pound or two, no doubt about it, but at least now psychologically I know I hit that lower number and eventually, that will become my default base for a few weeks.

Then I aim for the next lower number!

It looks like I am pretty consistent at 3 pounds a month. I was hoping for 5, which is what was happening in 2021, but oh well. Our bodies turn on us when we get old!

Old 09-01-2023, 08:29 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Yay, finally the scale showed another pound down. It will go back up, as it always does. I know by now that this is how it works. It will go up and down, up and down, those same few numbers, then one day I see a lower number that I didn't see before. Today was a day that I saw the next number down. Tomorrow it will be back up a pound or two, no doubt about it, but at least now psychologically I know I hit that lower number and eventually, that will become my default base for a few weeks.

Then I aim for the next lower number!

It looks like I am pretty consistent at 3 pounds a month. I was hoping for 5, which is what was happening in 2021, but oh well. Our bodies turn on us when we get old!
We call that "seeing new numbers". As in "I saw a new number today!"
I'll probably lose about 10 pounds this year based on what I am seeing so far.

Lost 20 pounds in '21; another 20 in '22, and in '23 another 10. Then I'm done. I will have learned how to live as a 175 pound man, and that's what it is about to me - learning to live as a different person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss