Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,701,411 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend want to loose weight. We're both chunky and need to get back in shape.

2 weeks ago we started taking salads to work and only eat out once a week. During the 7 day week we limit our calorie intake to 1200. I make sure we buy a lot of low carb, low fat, high protein items. We've taken out hamburger (it's cheap) out of the picture and replaced it with fish(near the same price). We've also replaced our breakfast with a bowl of fruit.

I started taking whey drinks, low carb, low calorie, shakes, for a snack.

What do you guys think? need to change anything or is this alright?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 02:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,345,786 times
Depends on the lowfat, lowcarb type foods you're eating. In some cases, it's best to eat the regular foods in smaller portions.
Another good replacement choice for hamburger would be ground turkey.
If you don't both already exercise, start. IMO, that is the best way to lose weight.
Walk everyday for at least an hour, most of it being brisk walking.
If you're not used to exercise though, start out really small. Walk for 20 minutes and build up to more after a couple of weeks.
Don't let your calories go too low. 1200 may be too low for most people depending on height and weight.
The key is to do some kind of activity daily whether it be walking, dvd aerobics, dancing.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:49 PM

We're not active enough for more than 1200 calories. She teaches all day and i sit on my butt all day.

I'll look around for ground turkey

I figured there is no option but to work out. I was thinking of power 90. My bro got ripped on that program and im thinking to try the same thing.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:46 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Also get the leanest ground beef-less fat grams than turkey or ground chicken.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:55 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,345,786 times
Don't sit around all day. Cutting calories isn't enough. You'll lose weight but you need to exercise in order to keep your muscle mass. Exercise helps to strenghten the muscles.
I forgot to mention this but don't forget to get protein. At least 100 grams for your girlfriend and 150 for you.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:06 AM

holy cow... are you kidding? 150 G of protein?

Between morning, afternoon, and evening. We accumulate 60 with the protein shake.

I'm scared to take 150G of protein because i don't drink much water and too much protein can do a number on your liver. I don't drink water because of the area im in.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:00 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
You stated that you are going Low Carb and Low Fat for a diet. Couple of concerns....first is too much Protein and little or no exercise could put some overload on your Kidneys as they have to filter out all the Nitrogen from the Protein.

Second is Protein is a poor source of energy as the body prefers Glucose and/or Fat for energy as you may start to bonk out soon on a High Protein and low Carb and low Fat diet.

Either add more Carbs i.e. low glycemic Fruit (Plums and Apples ) or Vege's (Kale/Spinach Salad) or add more healthy Fat like Olive Oil or Seeds and Nuts as these are high in the GOOD Fats.

That's my advice.

6/3

Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,024,062 times
I agree, 100 or 150 g of protein is too much. also, why dont you drink water?? that's your best and cheapest bet with everything you are doing. (Hi Lacey!)

Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
holy cow... are you kidding? 150 G of protein?

Between morning, afternoon, and evening. We accumulate 60 with the protein shake.

I'm scared to take 150G of protein because i don't drink much water and too much protein can do a number on your liver. I don't drink water because of the area im in.
Buy a Britta and chug-a-lug glug, glug

Old 09-28-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
I agree, 100 or 150 g of protein is too much. also, why dont you drink water?? that's your best and cheapest bet with everything you are doing. (Hi Lacey!)
If you lived in Phoenix,AZ you would understand why i don't drink the tap water. In California you can smell and taste the fluoride, while in Arizona you can taste and smell the chlorine.

I drink liquids, just not water.

Kidney's was the right answer, not liver.

I think i've confused you guys with my first post. When i mean reducing our intake i mean we aren't taking as much as we use too.

Our intake was out of control and would eat anything without realizing the damage after the weight we've gained.

My metabolic rate is 1937 calories per day and my total energy requirement is 2324 calories per day.

Her metabolic rate is 1657 calories per day and her total energy requirements are 1823 calories per day.

We've reduced our intake down to 1200-1400 and the reduced intake has reduced our appetite, and should loose weight naturally without exerting ourselves.

We don't have time to work out. I get up at 9PM, She get's up at 5AM, gets home home at 7PM, I make dinner and we eat at 8PM-830PM. Go to bed in 2 hours and repeat.

Our weekday meal goes as planned:

M - F :

Breakfast: bowl of fruit (apples,oranges,grapes,pineapple, and 1/2 a banana)

Lunch: salad (romaine lettuce, almonds, chicken, bell peppers, pickles, ect) no salad dressing for me, she uses it. I don't remember the rest

Snack: Protein shake or light hot pocket (normal ones are evil)

Dinner: Serving of vegatibles, light carb, and fish or chicken.

S - S

One cheat meal.

As you can see, we are not starving ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss