Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:26 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times

Advertisements

How bad is it to snack late at night. I worked late last night, came home at 8.30 pm and went to the gym at 9. Came home after an hour and 15 minutes and was starving. I had to eat something before I went to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:13 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
How bad is it to snack late at night. I worked late last night, came home at 8.30 pm and went to the gym at 9. Came home after an hour and 15 minutes and was starving. I had to eat something before I went to bed.
I dont think its a bad thing because your body is needed to have something to refuel. I always eat somthing after the gym or drink a protien shake.
Just be careful of your food choices. Plus this is one of the reasons those who do body building eat 4-6 meals a day.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:30 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
No its not truncated...at least it did not used to be. I wondered why they lost so fast and its because they workout for hours a day. Plus the mass they move(big body) burns a lot of calories. The bigger you are the more cals you burn during your workouts. You should not shoot to lose like that. Those people are under a doctor's care. You can actually cause your organs to shut down if you try to lose weight too fast. Also fast loss can create stretch marks. Those still are not in fashion.
I don't think anyone should try to emulate that show either. Those people are working with a doctor and a personal trainer to help them and watch whats going on inside the body.
I haven't watched the show in years because I think it is really terrible now, completely unwatchable with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. But when i did watch it in the few couple of years, a season was 10-12 episodes. There is absolutely no way these people were losing 10 to 15 pounds a week, which is what they were losing if you do the math and believe the show isn't truncated. I am too lazy to google, but I'd bet the farm that they were in the Biggest Loser house for more than 12 weeks.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
It's perfectly fine assuming you have something low carb like a protein shake or some lean lunch meat.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,108 times
Quote:
The whole "eating at night will make you gain weight" is semi-bunk. It may make you gain weight temporarily, but not much. Your metabolism doesn't just stop at night. It slows down, but it doesn't stop, and your BMR takes this into account when estimating your expenditures. You're body will burn it as energy, store leftovers as some fat, but if you still have a caloric deficit at the end of the week, and no other medical conditions are present, you'll still lose weight for the entire week. Simple math: shorter time deltas (hours) may show a weight gain, but longer time deltas (weekly) will show weight loss as long as calories consumed-calories expended < 0.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:00 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I've seen guys that weigh 170lbs lose 15lbs in a week before a fight. They weigh in the night before, then gain back virtually all of it over the next day by the time of a fight. Most of that weight is water, they probably lost a small amount of fat and muscle as well. It is difficult and not healthy, I don't recommend anyone do it, but yes, you can do it.
I do not need to do it, but play wrestling sure sounds like fun with the right person! LOL

Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindblownHair View Post
They lose weight really fast on Biggest Loser.(5-10 lbs a week starting out) Does anyone know details of their diet/exercise routines?
I don't know their exact routines but to lose 10 pounds in a week you would have to burn 35,000 calories more than you ate.

Moderate effort on a stationary bike would burn about 1,000 calories / hour so you'd need to exercise around 35 hours / week or 5 hours / day to burn 35,000 calories. Or you could walk about 9 hours / day, run 4 hours a day or jump rope 3 hours / day.

That's a lot of exercise, most people don't have the time to do that kind of working out, or the conditioning to handle it if they did have the time.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Quote:
I experimented with that through my loss. The only thing that actually made a difference in my body was if I overate on to grand total or got very close to it. (I would usually lose a little less that week.)
What made a positive difference for steady weight loss was breaking up the calories equally, spread evenly over the hours of the day.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I experimented with that through my loss. The only thing that actually made a difference in my body was if I overate on to grand total or got very close to it. (I would usually lose a little less that week.)
What made a positive difference for steady weight loss was breaking up the calories equally, spread evenly over the hours of the day.

That's what I found out myself. Going work I bring some high protein snacks and eat a little every 3 hours or so. Then at lunch and dinner I don't eat so much. I usually work out late at night, or around 8 pm so I have to eat later in the evening or I will be too hungry.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizagill View Post
Hey I have tried all the possible things to lose weight but not satisfied..Before this here I have asked to solve my query regarding diets, diet pills but didn't get the desired answers.. Again I'm asking about the diet pills..actually I'm going to order cheap diet pills online..After comparing with others I got them..but not sure whether they gonna help me to lose weight..Can anyone help me to solve my query?

Eat less and excerise more. It's that simple unless you have a medical condition.

Put yourself on a 1200-1400 calories a day diet and start a daily excerise plan.....you will lose weight...it won't come off quickly, but it will come off. Pills, unless those prescribed by the dr, do not work. And those pills stop working once you stop taking them. You have to learn to eat less and eat better and move your body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss