Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,108 times

Advertisements

I noticed my 8 year old jack/dachshund mix was licking a little too much and having trouble making a bowel movement so I took her in to have her glands expressed. I know a licking the site is common after the vet does this, but I took her in on Saturday and her poor little butt is still red. The vet didn't see anything out of the ordinary on Saturday, but I'm wondering how long I should wait to take her back in. She's still licking herself a lot. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 AM

82 posts, read 439,912 times
They can get irritated after being expressed. I wash the area good and use Cortaid and theat usually fixes it unless the expression wasn't totally successful. Try the Cortaid and see if he settles down.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Cortisone will kill the nerve response, but if the situation returns, I would take her back to the vet. You didn't say whether she was examined before the treatment. I would think the vet would, but never assume anything these days.

It's also possible that she's suffering from allergies, yeast, or a fungal infection.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:01 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana C View Post
They can get irritated after being expressed. I wash the area good and use Cortaid and theat usually fixes it unless the expression wasn't totally successful. Try the Cortaid and see if he settles down.
That's a great idea...thanks.

Our big boy has to have his anal glands done every month.
My dear friend comes over & does them. Our big boy's anal glands are very far back & turned. Not exactly where they are suppose to be.
He doesn't lick...thank goodness.

Some months it's his right one that is full...then the next month it will be his left one.
No rhyme or reason.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM

476 posts, read 1,296,173 times
Did the vet check for infection? My beagle went through a rough few months where her anal glands kept getting infected. We eventually checked for the type of bacteria and treated it with the correct antiobiotic.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomkris View Post
Did the vet check for infection? My beagle went through a rough few months where her anal glands kept getting infected. We eventually checked for the type of bacteria and treated it with the correct antiobiotic.
It's still red and she's having trouble having a BM. I'll take her in and ask the vet to check for infection. Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 151,086 times
I am really glad your sight is hear.. I have a germanshepard dog male, who is having problems with his anal glands... I was told that they are impacted.... my dog has been having problems going to the bathroom, he is straining when he trys to go... I had brought him to the vets and they told me that he had impacted anal glands and then put him on predizone steroid, and had then been put on zd hills diet food....on day three of the food the dog was having problems having a stool at all... very painful..... took him off that food and am giving him ukanuba germanshepard food, still has problems when we try to ween him off of the steroid as directed, small size stool, plus he is licking himself alot, and also passing a lot of foul smelling gas, which I think is the anal fluid, then more licking, and also when I let him out to go to the bathroom and he has a stool , he eats it ..I had him to the vet on friday, and the vet thought that his anas was inflamed, but this was due to his straining when he pooped, also because of his dose change on the steroids, down to 1/2 pill every other day... that is when he starts to have problems... the vet had told me of the infusion of the anal glands procedure.... I am going to go with this, I hope that this works for my dog, as I can not afford much, and I love my dog.... me is a 2 year old germanshepard male, which my female germanshepard had... so I have had shelby since birth.. he is very special to me...
I have been reading alot of the other responses to the anal glands problems with other dogs on the forum and many of the simptons of the other dogs are the same simptons that my dog is having right now.. I feel that this forum is very informative, and I am glad you all are hear, It is good to hear that I am not alone with this problem with my dog.... and I am hopping that this problem will be resolved soon.... Did anyone else try the dried prunes with their dogs, also did it work for them at all, just curious..... ? Will be talking to the vet tomarrow to see about scedualing the anal infusion treatment for shelby.... will keep you all informed of our progress... thanks again.....

Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
I noticed my 8 year old jack/dachshund mix was licking a little too much and having trouble making a bowel movement so I took her in to have her glands expressed. I know a licking the site is common after the vet does this, but I took her in on Saturday and her poor little butt is still red. The vet didn't see anything out of the ordinary on Saturday, but I'm wondering how long I should wait to take her back in. She's still licking herself a lot. Any thoughts?
Sounds like it is still irritated...this might be a little long please stay with me for this...

Let's talk about trouble making a bowel movement (causes of constipation).

It happens with middle-aged and older dogs and it is usually because they do not drink enough water, so make sure you provide plenty of clean fresh water (which you probably do.) Even with mild dehydration, water is withdrawn from the colon and that dehydrates the feces and it makes it difficult to make a bowel movement.

Keep an eye on what your dog eats, ingesting foreign materials such as bone chips, hair, grass, cellulose, cloth, paper, raw hides, and other substances can be a cause of acute and chronic constipation. Indigestible materials mixes with feces mixed with mild dehydration can form rock-like masses (poo) in the colon making it very difficult to pass.

If the constipation of recent is due to the anal glands expression, and your dog has been eating, drinking and exercising (as normal) and not going poo, you need to discuss this with your vet immediately, because it is normal for a dog to poo once or twice a day.

Treating Constipation:
Eliminate or control predisposing causes. Again, make sure your dog has plenty of access to clean water. Plenty of regular exercise, walking, playing, etc. Older dogs with reduced bowel activity can be helped along by soaking their kibble (if feeding only dry) with equal parts of water and letting the mixture soak for 20 minutes.

Provide frequent opportunities for your dog to do it's business. If it's still not giving it up, talk with your vet about the possibility of a blockage and perhaps a mild laxative? There are over the counter drugs you can talk with your vet about using such as Metamucil, Milk of Magnesia, Mylanta, Maalox, or Mineral oil (I prefer Olive Oil - personally). They can tell you the dosage and frequency of administration. I would prefer you get the "where" and "why-fore" from your vet.

Anal Sac Disease
The anal sacs (as) are located at five and seven o'clock in reference to the circumference of the anus. They can be seen by drawing down on the skin of the lower part of the anus and looking in those locations.

The (as) are emptied by the pressure of stool passing through the anus. They can also be emptied by forcful contraction of the of the anal sphincter such as when the dog barks, running, is frightened or upset. Anal sac disease is a cycle that begins with impaction and progresses through infection to abscess and rupture. Dogs with anal problems may develop tonsillitis from licking at the rear area.

Anal Sac Impaction
Impaction is the accumulation of pasty secretions in the anal sacs. The sacs become distended and mildly tender. (Which is why your dog is still licking the area, or has become so use to licking it has OCD). The expressed secretions are thick and dark brown or grayish brown. They become impacted when they don't empty completely. They may be due to insufficient pressure on the sacs during defecation because of small, soft stools; inadequate sphincter pressure; or blockage of the opening by thick dry secretions. Impaction tend to occur most often in small-breed dogs and in overweight dogs.
Treatment: Impaction is treated by manually expressing the secretions. Dogs with recurrent (as) impaction should have their sacs emptied at regular intervals. (Discuss the intervals with your vet and if you need a second opinion, get one!) Place the dog on a high-fiber diet or a bulk laxative to increase the size of the stools. Discuss these options with your vet, too!!!

How to Empty the Anal Sacs
Here are step by step instructions. You can also have your vet or groomer show you, if you feel more comfortable before you step in and do it yourself (unless you feel more comfortable having them do it and can afford to have them do it.)

Manually emptying the (as) is called expressing them, it is not necessary to express the (an) unless the dog has an anal sac disease, or when frequent malodor poses a problem. Begin by putting on a disposable latex or plastic surgical glove. Raise the dog's tail and locate the openings (again, the sac are located at five and seven o'clock.) Raise the dogs tail and if they are full, the anal sacs can be felt as small, firm lumps in the perianal area.

Grasp the skin surrounding the sacs between your thumb and forefinger and squeeze. When an anal sac is impacted (blocked), it usually is best to empty the sacs with a finger in the anal canal and a thumb on the outside. (For the comfort of the dog, use a small amount of vaseline (or KY) on the finger before inserting in the anal canal.)
As the sac empties, you may smell a strong odor. (You can avoid this by using Vic's Vapor Rub inside of each of your nostrils.) Wipe the secretions with a damp cloth or gently hose the dog's rectal area. Normal secretions are liquid and brown. If the discharge is yellow, bloody, or pus-like, the sac is infected and you should seek veterinary attention.

Please understand I am not a vet. I just want you to have additional information at your fingertips.

I hope this helps!

Reference: Dog Owner's Home Vet Handbook and personal experience

Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbys mom View Post
I am really glad your sight is hear.. I have a germanshepard dog male, who is having problems with his anal glands... I was told that they are impacted.... my dog has been having problems going to the bathroom, he is straining when he trys to go... I had brought him to the vets and they told me that he had impacted anal glands and then put him on predizone steroid, and had then been put on zd hills diet food....on day three of the food the dog was having problems having a stool at all... very painful..... took him off that food and am giving him ukanuba germanshepard food, still has problems when we try to ween him off of the steroid as directed, small size stool, plus he is licking himself alot, and also passing a lot of foul smelling gas, which I think is the anal fluid, then more licking, and also when I let him out to go to the bathroom and he has a stool , he eats it ..I had him to the vet on friday, and the vet thought that his anas was inflamed, but this was due to his straining when he pooped, also because of his dose change on the steroids, down to 1/2 pill every other day... that is when he starts to have problems... the vet had told me of the infusion of the anal glands procedure.... I am going to go with this, I hope that this works for my dog, as I can not afford much, and I love my dog.... me is a 2 year old germanshepard male, which my female germanshepard had... so I have had shelby since birth.. he is very special to me...
I have been reading alot of the other responses to the anal glands problems with other dogs on the forum and many of the simptons of the other dogs are the same simptons that my dog is having right now.. I feel that this forum is very informative, and I am glad you all are hear, It is good to hear that I am not alone with this problem with my dog.... and I am hopping that this problem will be resolved soon.... Did anyone else try the dried prunes with their dogs, also did it work for them at all, just curious..... ? Will be talking to the vet tomarrow to see about scedualing the anal infusion treatment for shelby.... will keep you all informed of our progress... thanks again.....
You'll be more likely to get a response if you post your question in a new thread. Most people will start reading this thread from the very first post, not realizing that the thread is a year old. They'll respond to the original thread starter's question before they even read your post. If you start your own thread and post your question, I guarantee you that you'll get responses to your particular questions. I'd answer but I've never had experience with anal glands.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 105,411 times
My 4 year old beagle mix has begun to lick his anus A LOT. He always did this when he needed his glands expressed, now it is even when the glands are empty. He has been checked by the vet, no worms or parasites, no infection...some inflammation. Since this has always been my clue that his glands need expressing, I needed some advice. THe vet suggested a little prep-H !! Not toxic...better than steroids---been doing it and the licking has lessened. Will keep it up for a while.
(He is also a grain-free diet and extra fiber in his food (sweet potato, raw carrots... but he has been on this for quite a while, so it isn't "the answer")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs