Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 02:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

so my wife noticed a solid growth in my dog's belly. it has a little firmness to it but not its relatively soft. the vet said its likely just a fat deposit and they can give me a quote for surgery and its up to us. there is a possibility that it could be something worse. as a general rule, i dont like the idea of voluntarily having surgery if its not necessary. surgery is dangerous for anyone's health. it doesnt bother her and isnt in the way of anything. it probably would been to grow a good amount before it was a nuisance. anyone deal with one of these and has an opinion on whether or not its worth putting her through a surgery over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 02:49 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
If your questions were not answered, go to a different clinic and get a second opinion.

Some of the small growths can be removed with a local aesthetic. Ask if that is an option.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:11 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
One of my dogs had one. I opted not to have it removed and after some years it just up and vanished. It did have some issues with bleeding when it would grow for the first year or so. It was in a spot that got irritated by a harness chest strap so I had to stop using a harness on her. Dog lived to be 15 and never had any heath issues.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so my wife noticed a solid growth in my dog's belly. it has a little firmness to it but not its relatively soft. the vet said its likely just a fat deposit and they can give me a quote for surgery and its up to us. there is a possibility that it could be something worse. as a general rule, i dont like the idea of voluntarily having surgery if its not necessary. surgery is dangerous for anyone's health. it doesnt bother her and isnt in the way of anything. it probably would been to grow a good amount before it was a nuisance. anyone deal with one of these and has an opinion on whether or not its worth putting her through a surgery over it?
When our dogs had lipomas, the vet would do a needle biopsy right on the spot (as I recall) to confirm that's all it was. I don't remember whether we got the result while waiting at the vet appointment (I think we did), but for sure the biopsy was done right there. We have left all our dogs' lipomas alone. Sometimes they decrease in size, sometimes they increase (a little bit). They did not impede anything and the dogs sure did not care about them, so we let them be (and the dogs were none the worse for it).

If your vet did not do a biopsy, or even offer one, I think I'd look for a different vet (assuming you live in an area with options).

Old 06-19-2020, 06:26 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
When dogs I have had what the vet thought was a lipoma the vet has doe an aspiration where he sticks a needle in it and draws off some fluid if the fluid is greasy he is pretty certain it is a lipoma but still gets a look at the cells under a microscope or sends it for pathology. There was only one time that one was not a lipoma. I had to see one of the other vets that day and she kept saying oh it looks like a lipoma but to me it didn't as it was different. But she kept assuring me it was nothing and said she would do an aspiration and draw off some fluid..well there as little fluid to draw off but she still assured me it was nothing. They did get enough cells to take a look and I was right it was not a lipoma it was a nerve sheath sarcoma which my regular vet removed the next day. So I would see if a vet can do a simple aspiration and find out what it is. My dogs were not even sedated for the procedure as it is nothing more then a needle poke.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:16 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
When dogs I have had what the vet thought was a lipoma the vet has doe an aspiration where he sticks a needle in it and draws off some fluid if the fluid is greasy he is pretty certain it is a lipoma but still gets a look at the cells under a microscope or sends it for pathology. There was only one time that one was not a lipoma. I had to see one of the other vets that day and she kept saying oh it looks like a lipoma but to me it didn't as it was different. But she kept assuring me it was nothing and said she would do an aspiration and draw off some fluid..well there as little fluid to draw off but she still assured me it was nothing. They did get enough cells to take a look and I was right it was not a lipoma it was a nerve sheath sarcoma which my regular vet removed the next day. So I would see if a vet can do a simple aspiration and find out what it is. My dogs were not even sedated for the procedure as it is nothing more then a needle poke.

This is what our vet did, too - I called it a needle biopsy but I suspect that's not the right term.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:08 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
This is what our vet did, too - I called it a needle biopsy but I suspect that's not the right term.
A distinction between terms might help a bit:

Aspiration is basically the action of withdrawing a sample from a lump. It could end up being either liquid or solids. The vet could get some idea just from looking at the characteristics of sample at the time (like fatty or oily).

There's a core needle biopsy and also fine needle aspiration cytology that is somewhat different.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...aspiration-fna

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-20-2020 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-26-2020, 08:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If your questions were not answered, go to a different clinic and get a second opinion.

Some of the small growths can be removed with a local aesthetic. Ask if that is an option.
my wife took my dog. i usually do it but i go to work like normal and she is home everyday. now they grab your dog from your car and return the dog later due to coronavirus. my wife is less likely to ask all the questions than i am and in this situation its even more difficult. anyway, this vet is a mile from my house so its super convenient and ive been satisfied with them except i feel they are more financially oriented that my old vet. so i do get concerned when they bring up surgery for something that may not need it. ill talk to my wife about it later and see if a syringe biopsy can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs