Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:21 PM

18 posts, read 24,196 times

Advertisements

I am kinda worried about my neighbors puppies. They have sold all but two. I believe they are giving them food and water but Im more worried about the chains.
The puppies are normally free to run around in the chainlink fenced front yard. However, when we got home from church is morning, the pups had collars on with huge clips and big fat chains about 2 feet long hanging from them. They usually run to the fence and my boys talk to them, but they couldnt because of the heavy-ness of the chains. One tried to come down the steps and ended up tumbling down because the chain fell down them first and pulled it down. It didnt even try to come over to see us. As we were walking inside the house the pup tried to get back up the steps and was having a heck of a time trying to do so.
My husband says it looks like they are trying to strengthen their necks...maybe for fighting(they look to be half pitbull). But I will say this is not a regular leash/chain that you would normally see on puppies. They are huge and they have trouble holding up their heads.
Im pretty sure I should report it and I know the neighbors may assume it was us that called. ~April

p.s. I know just being pit wouldnt make them agressive, but being trained to would. I dont want my kids being hurt...so they wont be allowed near the fence anymore just incase...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
You can make a complaint to animal control/humane society.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:46 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,834 times
If you can't speak to your neighbors about it, then I would make a complaint to animal control. If you really do believe they are being trained for fighting you can save their life.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:02 PM

Thats what I was thinking. I hate to see any animal suffer.
We've spoken a few times and I dont think talking to them would do any good. They tend to let their kids (about 5 or 6yrs and an older one) run wild around the neighborhood and at all hours...so maybe thats another call I may have to eventually make too :-(
I looked up the phone number. I will probably call the animal control tomorrow to atleast know that I tried to help them. Just dont want to let it go on and them be used for fighting in the future, because my husband said thats how it starts.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 AM

45 posts, read 61,093 times
I would call!! get the record started. animal control may not be able to do much at this point but, atleast they will be on their radar. Usually, these people don't like cops showing up at the house and they change their behavior. Good luck

Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
Animal control, don't get involved directly.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 AM

268 posts, read 704,246 times
Animal control probably wont do anything because chaining is legal in Alabama. Contacting the local humane society would be better. They may be able to make a visit and counsel the owners. Unfortunately this whole heavy chain to strengthen the neck thing is widespread, cruel and ignorant as it is.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee 42 View Post
Animal control probably wont do anything because chaining is legal in Alabama. Contacting the local humane society would be better. They may be able to make a visit and counsel the owners. Unfortunately this whole heavy chain to strengthen the neck thing is widespread, cruel and ignorant as it is.
Thanks dee 42. Because it is kind of confusing which to call.

I mean I know a chain is legal but these are huge and heavy and not even attatched to anything but the puppy. Poor things can't even hold their heads up. So even if they aren't preparing them to fight, chains like that should not be acceptable.
Thanks everyone. I plan on making a call, probably when the kids are napping later.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,605,124 times
I would definitely call, I only know what I've seen on animal cops on animal planet, but it's my understanding that when they confiscate dogs that were used for fighting they take the giant chains too and use them as evidence. Chaining is one thing, but the big chains, especially on little puppies is clearly being used for something else. Poor little guys.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Just be certain to photograph and document your evidence. Ask to remain anonymous so that your neighbor does not absolutely know it was you who turned them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs