Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,764,568 times

Advertisements

I have a 6 year old Papillion. I just recently moved across country, but moving is not new to my dog. Since i've had him, i've moved approximately 8 times. He adjusts well to new places.

Since he was a puppy, he's always curled up next to my stomach at night as we go to bed. He'd stay there until I fell asleep and then he'd go sleep in his kennel. Now, on our drive to florida, everything was normal and he was laying with me in the hotel room while we found a house.

Now, we moved in to the new house and he wont lay with me at all at night. He will stay long enough while i pet him, and then he leaves. He wont even stay for a couple minutes any more. I dont know what has changed. I mean, i did move away from my family, but he didnt see them enough that it would affect him this soon, it was normal that he might not see my mom or stepdad for weeks since we normally left him at home when we went to their house.

I am also pregnant, but i'm 20 weeks along, he was still sleeping with me when I was initially pregnant up to about 12 weeks and i didnt really start getting a belly until the last few weeks. We've been in our new house for about 8 weeks now.

He acts completely normal in every other aspect, if anything, he is a bit more affectionate, but he wont lay with me at night. I know this probably seems like nothing, but it is very odd. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,434,642 times
Possibly he's still adjusting, not sure how long you've lived there but each move is different and maybe hasnt been that long that you/he have lived where you are now, he may be 'exploring' when you're sleeping or just a bit restless for whatever reason - I have a hunch though it wont be long before he's snuggling w/ you again. Maybe it's a good thing he doesn't have any separation anxiety <G>. Anyway, just a guess.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I have a 6 year old Papillion. I just recently moved across country, but moving is not new to my dog. Since i've had him, i've moved approximately 8 times. He adjusts well to new places.

Since he was a puppy, he's always curled up next to my stomach at night as we go to bed. He'd stay there until I fell asleep and then he'd go sleep in his kennel. Now, on our drive to florida, everything was normal and he was laying with me in the hotel room while we found a house.

Now, we moved in to the new house and he wont lay with me at all at night. He will stay long enough while i pet him, and then he leaves. He wont even stay for a couple minutes any more. I dont know what has changed. I mean, i did move away from my family, but he didnt see them enough that it would affect him this soon, it was normal that he might not see my mom or stepdad for weeks since we normally left him at home when we went to their house.

I am also pregnant, but i'm 20 weeks along, he was still sleeping with me when I was initially pregnant up to about 12 weeks and i didnt really start getting a belly until the last few weeks. We've been in our new house for about 8 weeks now.

He acts completely normal in every other aspect, if anything, he is a bit more affectionate, but he wont lay with me at night. I know this probably seems like nothing, but it is very odd. Thoughts?
I'm trying not to laugh while reading your post; it's not b/c I think the situation is funny but b/c the thought occurred to me that maybe he isn't
staying with you longer b/c, after you drift off into never, never land, your baby begins to kick, perhaps even the dog? Kicking usually begins between 16-24 weeks

If not, I do think that it has something to do with the pregnancy and the fact that you are farther along. Our pets are very sensitive and if there is anything that he is getting used to, it's the baby, not the move or the new house, which he sounds already very used to.

I don't really like mentioning this but given that I brought up the sensitivity issue, you might make an appointment to make sure that everything is progressing as planned with your pregnancy. Not to worry you but sometimes our animals can sense things that we can't; his avoidance might mean something is wrong. Or (I hope) it is just a big adjustment for him and he will need time to get used to the idea of another 'baby' in the house

Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Honey: We've been here since the end of june, so just over 2 months now. He slept with us in the hotel we had before we moved into the house, so that's why I thought it was odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I'm trying not to laugh while reading your post; it's not b/c I think the situation is funny but b/c the thought occurred to me that maybe he isn't
staying with you longer b/c, after you drift off into never, never land, your baby begins to kick, perhaps even the dog? Kicking usually begins between 16-24 weeks

If not, I do think that it has something to do with the pregnancy and the fact that you are farther along. Our pets are very sensitive and if there is anything that he is getting used to, it's the baby, not the move or the new house, which he sounds already very used to.

I don't really like mentioning this but given that I brought up the sensitivity issue, you might make an appointment to make sure that everything is progressing as planned with your pregnancy. Not to worry you but sometimes our animals can sense things that we can't; his avoidance might mean something is wrong. Or (I hope) it is just a big adjustment for him and he will need time to get used to the idea of another 'baby' in the house
Well, the move into the new house started when I was 12 weeks along, I just started having movement about a week ago, so I dont think the baby was kicking the dog in the sleep.

As for the pregnancy, I dont believe anything is wrong - i've had an ultrasound (at 13 weeks) and 2 checkups since we've been here and everything has been perfect. We check the heartbeat via doppler every few days, heartrate is going strong and baby has been kicking away. But, we do have another ultrasound in a week, so if anything was wrong that the other ultrasound didnt pick up, we'll know then. But, so far, there's no reason to suggest that there is anything wrong since heartbeat is going good and baby is moving. I understand where you are coming from though!

I just miss sleeping with my doggy. I should probably feel better about it since he wouldnt be able to sleep with me when baby comes home anyway. Maybe he just feels better on the floor because he can "protect" us better that way? I dont know.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,869,225 times
Dogs have better hearing and sensitivity than we do(baby)...He either is not so happy, or as you said taking over the protector role as he is older and you have someone else sleeping with you now..Enjoy your freedom

Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,029,172 times
He's seeing someone else! Have you checked for lipstick on the collar?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,943,430 times
When I was pregnant, my husband always said I was like sleeping with a human oven. Maybe you are just too toasty for him right now...

I know how annoying it can get when we try to use our people logic to figure out our dogs, but sometimes what they do just isn't all that explainable in our worlds.

Plus, look at it from his perspective - in a few short months he is going to be wondering why all of a sudden, when everything was going along just fine, you went out and got a screaming, smelly little person to share the house with!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Dogs have better hearing and sensitivity than we do(baby)...He either is not so happy, or as you said taking over the protector role as he is older and you have someone else sleeping with you now..Enjoy your freedom
I think its the latter rather than former, he still seems like a very happy dog, if anything, happier than in the past. He sleeps a bit more during the day, but i may just be noticing that more since I'm unemployed and staying at home now. He is awake and playful when my husband is home but during the day when its me and the dog, he sleeps. *chuckles*

Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,996,897 times
My dog is almost 5 years old, and just recently cut back on the hours in my bed... he's usually there when I wake up, but I've noticed he doesn't stay all night like he used to. Maybe this is the age dogs become "adults," and start acting more independent? Just a thought!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,340,986 times
Did you move to Florida? Perhaps he is just warm and wnats to sleep in a cooler spot.

My sister's dog would sleep with her in the winter, but not in the summer when she slept under the bed. It was all based on the temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs