Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,234,700 times

Advertisements

Two months ago we had to put our wonderful Dobie-mix, Buddy, to sleep. She was almost 15 YO and, while losing her tore us up, her last few months were wonderful and the "event" was peaceful and calm. I sat on the floor and she was euthanized while in my arms. I only wish I could go that way when the time comes.

For the first time in 30 years, we are now renters. I really want to get another dobie mix. Buddy was the most intelligent, nicest dog. The only two times that she showed any aggression was when another dog was going for one of the kids and another time when some guy was peering into our glass door one night. Even when we would find a stray, Buddie would allow him/her to eat from her food bowl. We could take a bone from her and she would look up and wag her tail.

I don't remember ever having been asked what breed she was for insurance purposes. Now that we are getting renters insurance, I am wondering, can't we just say "mutt" for the breed? Or do they ask for pictures? And how difficult IS it to rent with a Dobie-mix? We have a 2 year lease, but who knows where we will be living for the next 15 or so years?

Am I being short-sighted and just channeling Buddy in wanting another like her? I've had four dogs as an adult and all were great. But Buddy was, by far, the most intelligent and intuitive. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,566,316 times
My daughter just rented an apartment and there were breed specific restrictions, some of which made no sense.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 AM

110 posts, read 348,987 times
Insurance will probably ask for the breed. I have never been asked for photos.
If you have a legitimate basis to say she is a mutt, then classify her as a mutt.
Keep in mind that you may run into difficulties if there is an "incident" and you file a claim- the insurance co. may deny the claim if they determine that you KNEW she was a dangerous breed but did not inform them. ( For example, if the shelter records/paperwork say she is a dobie mix)
Also, there are a lot of intelligent and intuitive dogs of other breeds. Perhaps you can find a non-dobie that is special in her own way.

Last edited by NewinScal; 10-01-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 AM

You're probably right, NewInScal.... Not what I wanted to hear, but...

Once we move in and get settled, we'll start looking. I've never been to a shelter and not had a special dog tug at my heart. In the meantime, we'll invite our friends' dogs over to visit.

We tend to be stray magnets...maybe our dog will end up finding us first.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
You're probably right, NewInScal.... Not what I wanted to hear, but...

Once we move in and get settled, we'll start looking. I've never been to a shelter and not had a special dog tug at my heart. In the meantime, we'll invite our friends' dogs over to visit.

We tend to be stray magnets...maybe our dog will end up finding us first.
Of course, you could get your renters' insurance first and the dog could come later, long enough in the past to have slipped your mind about the insurance.

I absolutely HATE that insurance companies try to dictate what breed of dogs are "acceptable". For years I never disclosed I had dogs. IMO, it is none of their business.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 PM

That's an idea.... I won't have a dog when I get the insurance. If they mention that I will have to notify them, I can then ask them what dogs are insurable....

Insurance is...don't get me started! A landlord recently told me that her tenant had a trampoline and she (landlord) could only be insured by Lloyds of London. That seems a bit much.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,511,482 times
Quote:
Getting a new dog- and renting
I think you should buy the dog. Renting usually is more expensive in the long run.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:35 PM

511 posts, read 2,201,529 times
If you do have to notify your insurance when you get a dog, just call your dog a lab mix. As far as what NewinScal was saying about weather or not your dog is down on paper as a "doby mix"... When we adopted our dog at the shelter they had her down as a cattle dog mix. However, when we brought her to our vet for the first time, we had them put her down as a lab mix (she looked more lab to us). And so, that is what it says on all of her medical records. If we ever needed to provide proof of her breed, we would present her annual licence documents, or rabies documents, or other medical records, all of which say lab mix. The bloodlines of mutts can be a VERY grey area... basically the dog can be whatever you say it is (within reason).

Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I think you should buy the dog. Renting usually is more expensive in the long run.
Very good! I'm still laughing. Yes, you're right. And I will be buying a used one, so will get an even better deal!

I want Bella. Humane Society of Broward County - View Adoptable Dogs

SheridanPDC, you gave me an idea. Although the Broward Humane Society says Dobie-mix, I think that you all can weigh in, as you have thousands of years of collective experience identifying dogs. What kind of dog is Bella? (Sorry, can't figure out how to copy and post her pix.)

Old 10-01-2010, 06:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,485,231 times
Quote:
Two months ago we had to put our wonderful Dobie-mix, Buddy, to sleep. She was almost 15 YO and, while losing her tore us up, her last few months were wonderful and the "event" was peaceful and calm. I sat on the floor and she was euthanized while in my arms. I only wish I could go that way when the time comes.

For the first time in 30 years, we are now renters. I really want to get another dobie mix. Buddy was the most intelligent, nicest dog. The only two times that she showed any aggression was when another dog was going for one of the kids and another time when some guy was peering into our glass door one night. Even when we would find a stray, Buddie would allow him/her to eat from her food bowl. We could take a bone from her and she would look up and wag her tail.

I don't remember ever having been asked what breed she was for insurance purposes. Now that we are getting renters insurance, I am wondering, can't we just say "mutt" for the breed? Or do they ask for pictures? And how difficult IS it to rent with a Dobie-mix? We have a 2 year lease, but who knows where we will be living for the next 15 or so years?

Am I being short-sighted and just channeling Buddy in wanting another like her? I've had four dogs as an adult and all were great. But Buddy was, by far, the most intelligent and intuitive. Advice?
I am truly sorry for your loss. It is especially difficult to say goodbye to a close and dear friend after 15 years. I do not think you are being short-sighted for wanting another dog. However, there was only one Buddy and there will never be another like him. Every dog has their own unique personality, even if they are the same breed.

Unfortunately, as a renter you will find it very difficult to find places to rent that allows medium to large dogs. You are automatically going to be disqualified for about 90% of the rentals available. However, you should still be able to find some place that will accept dogs. It might cost you more up-front in the form of a pet security deposit, but for us dog lovers the inconvenience is a small price to pay.

Personally, I think you should get another dog. He will not be another Buddy, but I'm certain you will find aspects that will endear you to your new dog over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs