Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 PM

110 posts, read 348,555 times

Advertisements

OMG! I cant believe how many great dogs there are at that shelter. I want to adopt a few. Bella is too cute. I can see how you are finding her difficult to resist.

Good point about being able to "create " other records that identify the breed differently. My point was that you did not want her records to identy her as a dangerous breed and not have told the insurance co. But if your vet records say lab mix, then that is what she is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,224,264 times
She sure looks like a lab mix to me!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Two months ago we had to put our wonderful Dobie-mix, Buddy, to sleep. She was almost 15 YO and, while losing her tore us up, her last few months were wonderful and the "event" was peaceful and calm. I sat on the floor and she was euthanized while in my arms. I only wish I could go that way when the time comes.

For the first time in 30 years, we are now renters. I really want to get another dobie mix. Buddy was the most intelligent, nicest dog. The only two times that she showed any aggression was when another dog was going for one of the kids and another time when some guy was peering into our glass door one night. Even when we would find a stray, Buddie would allow him/her to eat from her food bowl. We could take a bone from her and she would look up and wag her tail.

I don't remember ever having been asked what breed she was for insurance purposes. Now that we are getting renters insurance, I am wondering, can't we just say "mutt" for the breed? Or do they ask for pictures? And how difficult IS it to rent with a Dobie-mix? We have a 2 year lease, but who knows where we will be living for the next 15 or so years?

Am I being short-sighted and just channeling Buddy in wanting another like her? I've had four dogs as an adult and all were great. But Buddy was, by far, the most intelligent and intuitive. Advice?
I don't think that you are being short-sighted. As far as renter's insurance goes, I don't even remember if my insurer asked me if I had a dog and/or what breed it was (i.e. renter's insurance is not a big deal; they will always give it to you, although you may have to pay a little more). But it really isn't that expensive.

I am fairly certain that you will always be able to find SOMEPLACE that will rent to you if you have a dog. It may be more difficult or you may have to pay more but there are always possibilities. I would not let the uncertainty of the future deter you from living in the present and getting another dog.

As far as Dobies are concerned, I have yet to hear of anyone having difficulty renting with them in FL. The breeds that are usually the hardest to rent with are Pitbulls, Rottweillers and German Shepherds, although you will have to deal with weight limits, which are usually under 50 or 25 lbs. Places that take larger dogs usually just say 50+. They are not plentiful but they do exist. You may have to make compromises re: what area you live in or how close you are to work, etc. but you will be able to find a place. Also, most apartment complexes charge a monthly pet fee of which you should also be aware (but, again, it usually isn't that much).

If you get absolutely stuck not being able to find a place in Broward, DM me.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I don't think that you are being short-sighted. As far as renter's insurance goes, I don't even remember if my insurer asked me if I had a dog and/or what breed it was (i.e. renter's insurance is not a big deal; they will always give it to you, although you may have to pay a little more). But it really isn't that expensive.

I am fairly certain that you will always be able to find SOMEPLACE that will rent to you if you have a dog. It may be more difficult or you may have to pay more but there are always possibilities. I would not let the uncertainty of the future deter you from living in the present and getting another dog.

As far as Dobies are concerned, I have yet to hear of anyone having difficulty renting with them in FL. The breeds that are usually the hardest to rent with are Pitbulls, Rottweillers and German Shepherds, although you will have to deal with weight limits, which are usually under 50 or 25 lbs. Places that take larger dogs usually just say 50+. They are not plentiful but they do exist. You may have to make compromises re: what area you live in or how close you are to work, etc. but you will be able to find a place. Also, most apartment complexes charge a monthly pet fee of which you should also be aware (but, again, it usually isn't that much).

If you get absolutely stuck not being able to find a place in Broward, DM me.
Aww, thanks, Starla! Actually, I have just rented a house in PB county and discovered that I can have a dog. I kinda put it on the back burner BC we have been living with friends for four months...(our time of humility!) I was so focused on finding a house in a particular neighborhood that getting another pet was not something that I even thought about. I'm going to move our belongings down and get settled and make a decision then, I guess. In the meantime we will have our friend's dog over to visit. She just lives a few blocks away.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,248,004 times
Quote:
... We have a 2 year lease, but who knows where we will be living for the next 15 or so years?
That right there is the problem, as you're well aware. As a landlord, formerly of several apartment buildings, I think many people make a big mistake by having a dog when they're renting. Heck, as a homeowner I think they make a mistake. Dogs and cats can do a lot of damage to a home -- from carpet to woodwork to lawns, and that doesn't count the furniture. We had a lovely schnauzer that cost us $20,000 or so -- carpet, custom sectional and several chairs. I owned a shoe store for a few years, and you'd be surprised at how many shoes I sold because "the damned puppy chewed up my new shoes." I used to joke that I should give a puppy to all my customers -- built-in revenue.

For the past 5 years we've needed new carpet in our home, but my wife took a strong stance against replacing our carpet as long as we had a dog and cat. (Our 17-year-old Yorkie finally died last year.) So what did we get this past summer? (Hint: It wasn't new carpet.) Yeah, another dog.

So I don't blame you for wanting a dog. But unless you need a large dog, you might consider something smaller for an apartment. Most big dogs should have lots of room to run, and I know Dobbies love to run. Smaller dogs can be just as smart and intuitive as the bigger ones. Our latest is a Silky. She's very smart and fun. But consider the apartment living, then pick the dog based partly on that. You'll be happier; your dog will be happier; your landlord will be happier.

EDIT: I wrote the above before reading that you rented a HOUSE. That's a different story then -- at least for the dog.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:31 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
Quote:
Aww, thanks, Starla! Actually, I have just rented a house in PB county and discovered that I can have a dog. I kinda put it on the back burner BC we have been living with friends for four months...(our time of humility!) I was so focused on finding a house in a particular neighborhood that getting another pet was not something that I even thought about. I'm going to move our belongings down and get settled and make a decision then, I guess. In the meantime we will have our friend's dog over to visit. She just lives a few blocks away.
I would love to see you adopt another dog, especially if your lease allows it. There are so many animals in need in PBCounty, which is also very dog-friendly; the dog beach is 40 min away in Juno (and it will make you want to live in Juno It's awesome!!) and there are tons of volunteer opportunities as well. Here are some more options is you are interested in taking a look; these places specialize in large dogs and there is a Dobie mix available for adoption:

Dog Rescue, Big Dog Rescue, Weimaraner Rescue, Dog Adoption Big Dog Ranch Rescue in West Palm Beach, FL (http://www.bigdogranchrescue.org/Dog-59.html - broken link)

Old 10-03-2010, 05:47 AM

831 posts, read 1,966,055 times
Quote:
That's an idea.... I won't have a dog when I get the insurance. If they mention that I will have to notify them, I can then ask them what dogs are insurable....

Insurance is...don't get me started! A landlord recently told me that her tenant had a trampoline and she (landlord) could only be insured by Lloyds of London. That seems a bit much.
Wait....Lloyds of London...isn't that who insures other ridiculousness like Madonna's voice and Jennifer Lopez's butt and a Rockette's legs and other absurdities?

With the way insurers are headed, I'm looking forward to the day when they put themselves collectively out of business with all of their rules, regs, denials and refusals. When no one is left to insure because of 'dis, dat, and de odduh ting,' I will then put on my red heels and do a *** on their little [well insured] graves.

I agree with previous posters....get a LAB-MIX (which is everything per my vet). That's my mutts...tis only for the heavens to know who made my monsters, not for the insurance company to determine.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:40 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,057,622 times
Make sure what breeds you can own first from your landlord. You don't want to adopt then have to give them up because you're not allowed. I don't know how the "mix" in the name will go. I own my own home now, just had to get other homeowners insurance, mine does not cover my dog, he's a Doberman. Some companies will cover you but not your dog, some companies will not cover you because of your dog. I know State Farm will cover your dog, but don't know if they're writing policies. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Very good! I'm still laughing. Yes, you're right. And I will be buying a used one, so will get an even better deal!

I want Bella. Humane Society of Broward County - View Adoptable Dogs

SheridanPDC, you gave me an idea. Although the Broward Humane Society says Dobie-mix, I think that you all can weigh in, as you have thousands of years of collective experience identifying dogs. What kind of dog is Bella? (Sorry, can't figure out how to copy and post her pix.)

i see hound... maybe coon hound??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Make sure what breeds you can own first from your landlord. You don't want to adopt then have to give them up because you're not allowed. I don't know how the "mix" in the name will go. I own my own home now, just had to get other homeowners insurance, mine does not cover my dog, he's a Doberman. Some companies will cover you but not your dog, some companies will not cover you because of your dog. I know State Farm will cover your dog, but don't know if they're writing policies. Good luck!
i was going to suggest state farm too .... they know i have dogs, but could not care less what breed they are..... but then i also know that a lot of the carriers are not writing in florida these days..... dumbazzes......

Old 10-03-2010, 08:04 AM

I already have State Farm for my home in Jax and car. Have had them for about ten years, so maybe that will help....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs