Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 12:45 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times

Advertisements

This makes no sense, why the heck couldnt they adopt poor Buddy out - ? - he certainly sounded adoptable

Lunchtime Links: Poodle gets the needle anyway after owner's daring lawn mower rescue from the pound | syracuse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 12:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
That's very sad. I'm not sure what they did wasn't intentional murder just to spite the owner.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:06 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
I know, you'd think they'd have taken into account his age. Plus a poodle is usually very adoptable.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Part of it may have been that Buddy was a habitual loose dog that the police received numerious complaints about. This wasn't the dogs and owners first run in with the police and the shelter. The owner refused to pay the shelter fee to get its loose dog return and took maters in his own hand. The owner was told he could sort this out with the courts and let them give him his dog back (although with all the prior issues bet the judge wouldn't have let it go at just that) so the shelter followed their rules. No individual or rescue organization wanted to take in that dog, so when its time was up, its time was up. I wonder if local folks and rescue was just scared of taking in the dog for fear of the owner. For $100 fine for a loose dog, I think most would pay and fight it in court not threaten to shoot law enforcement if they mess with the dog and certainly not try to bust it out of the pound.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
So you think killing him was justified because his OWNER let him run loose?
The dog could have been adopted!
Very Very sad,

Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Nothing anywhere said the shelter did not try to adopt the dog. It only states that the dog was in the shelter and it was euthanized at a later date. I bet there were other dogs in the shelter that was euthanized but didn;t make the paper because of the hairbrain antics of the owner. lets not just talk about that dog, lets talk about all the dogs euthanized because they were not adopted.

Once in the shelter system, a Poodle or a German Shepard or a Mutt may be euthanized when its time is up. Why didn;t the owner just pay the $100 or go to court as another option? I'm sure if it was adoptable, it would have been adopted. I think part of it may have been that in a small town, people knew the owner and wouldn't touch the dog with a ten foot pole for fear of the owner.

I;m not saying it was good to euthanize the dog, but I do say, lets not forget the actions of the owner that put all this into play.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I bet those neighbors aren't shedding any tears. As a former neighbor of two nuisance GSDs, I wasn't the least bit unhappy when the owners finally took them to the County kill shelter.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,077 times
The dog was a nuisance. From the looks of him he was old. No one is going to adopt an old dog. The old man also seems to be showing signs of dementia. It may have hurt his feelings but killing the dog solved the problem for everyone. If I was the chief, given that choice, that's what I would have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs