Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times

Advertisements

My dog has been on Earthborn, which came highly recommended as a (relatively) low-cost but high-quality grain-free food. The farting has been positively unholy. He seems utterly unperturbed by it all - no problems as far as he's concerned, while I'm gasping for air and wondering what I did wrong in another life. His stools are also firm.

But the gas has been constant and very very foul. He was on Taste of the Wild before, and it was fine as far as I recall. I switched because the girl at the store said the nutrition levels were better for Earthborn and for a better price. My roommate uses Orijen, and I'm thinking about switching to that so we can share bags of food. If that doesn't work, I'll switch back to Taste of the Wild.

Any ideas what could be causing the farting? He's on the bison food, and I think that's what he was eating from Taste of the Wild too. So I'm kind of at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 AM

13,929 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Don't sound like it agrees with him or you....

Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My dog has been on Earthborn, which came highly recommended as a (relatively) low-cost but high-quality grain-free food. The farting has been positively unholy. He seems utterly unperturbed by it all - no problems as far as he's concerned, while I'm gasping for air and wondering what I did wrong in another life. His stools are also firm.

But the gas has been constant and very very foul. He was on Taste of the Wild before, and it was fine as far as I recall. I switched because the girl at the store said the nutrition levels were better for Earthborn and for a better price. My roommate uses Orijen, and I'm thinking about switching to that so we can share bags of food. If that doesn't work, I'll switch back to Taste of the Wild.

Any ideas what could be causing the farting? He's on the bison food, and I think that's what he was eating from Taste of the Wild too. So I'm kind of at a loss.

You made me laugh out loud simply because our Walter has been the same way but it was because he ate who knows what outside that he found........OMGoodness that boy cleared the house not just the room. It was awful. I would say some ingredient is definitely not agreeing with his system and you need to go back to what you had him on before.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 AM

970 posts, read 2,214,101 times
Like the other posters said there is probably an ingredient in the food that doesn't agree with his system. Farting is normal for dogs but going from normal farting to very foul smelling, frequent farting usually means their digestive tracts are unhappy.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
Long time TOTW here, I use the lamb formula...no bad gas EVER

Old 06-04-2013, 06:14 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to go back to TOTW if the Orijen doesn't work out. Since my roommate uses it for her dogs, we'll get a bigger discount and it's another high-quality, grain-free food. This bag is almost finished - Thank God! If his stools had been icky, I'd have switched immediately, but he seems happy as a clam on it. The gaseous by-product is the only problem, I can tell. But OMG!

I was just mainly wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with Earthborn (or another food) and if they knew what ingredient had caused it.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Did you make a gradual transition so his body had time to get used to the new food? Are you using a probiotic, to help, also?

Food changes should always been done gradually, with a probiotic given daily during and for some time after the switch.

If you jump from this new food to another new food, without a slow transition, you may be faced with even more problems. Your dog's digestive system, already overwhelmed with one new food, may not be able to cope with yet another change, so fast.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
I agree, put him back on the old food. I had that problem with my cat and I started limiting her wet food, giving her more dry food and now I don't notice it anymore.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Until the change in diet takes effect, you might want to invest in a can of Ozium.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I agree, put him back on the old food. I had that problem with my cat and I started limiting her wet food, giving her more dry food and now I don't notice it anymore.
Well you are going in the wrong direction with your cat. Dry food is very bad for cats. Get her on a good canned diet for optimal health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs