Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,396 times

Advertisements

I haven't been around here for awhile, so Happy New Year everyone.

I had sod laid in my back yard in October. Beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful. I knew it would be a challenge. My dog (she's about 2) is driving me crazy and ruining the grass with that "kicking her hind legs" action after she pees or poops.

Has anyone trained their dog NOT to do that? I don't mind her going in the yard, but I need her to stop kicking because she's pulling out the sacred grass blades.

The other thing that started about 2 weeks ago, is she is starting to wrap her front legs around me and do the "beginnings" of humping. She hasn't done a full fledged "hump" yet, but SOMETHING has changed. Do I just shake her off and ignore it or correct her somehow? Why would she be doing this? Could it be from boredom because she's inside more now that it's winter? I want to break her of this quickly.

Humping and kicking up the grass.....need advice please! (Let me add, I am too lazy to take her outside on a leash to have her go while under my control. I would go out for awhile if we were working on a training technique, but on an ongoing basis, I'm not going to accompany her on her potty trips. That's why I have a fenced in back yard.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I haven't been around here for awhile, so Happy New Year everyone.

I had sod laid in my back yard in October. Beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful. I knew it would be a challenge. My dog (she's about 2) is driving me crazy and ruining the grass with that "kicking her hind legs" action after she pees or poops.

Has anyone trained their dog NOT to do that? I don't mind her going in the yard, but I need her to stop kicking because she's pulling out the sacred grass blades.

The other thing that started about 2 weeks ago, is she is starting to wrap her front legs around me and do the "beginnings" of humping. She hasn't done a full fledged "hump" yet, but SOMETHING has changed. Do I just shake her off and ignore it or correct her somehow? Why would she be doing this? Could it be from boredom because she's inside more now that it's winter? I want to break her of this quickly.

Humping and kicking up the grass.....need advice please! (Let me add, I am too lazy to take her outside on a leash to have her go while under my control. I would go out for awhile if we were working on a training technique, but on an ongoing basis, I'm not going to accompany her on her potty trips. That's why I have a fenced in back yard.)
Happy New Year to you as well! You have dominance issues going on. Yes - we have all of our dogs trained not to "mark with their feet". Easiest training for the yard is on leash and with treats. Every time you take your pup out in the yard, do it on leash. Have a few tasty treats (small ones, all you need is a nibble) with you. After they potty IMMEDIATELY walk them away from the area. No leg kick backs? Then its time for " good dog" and a treat. It will only take about a week or 2 of correction (by walking them away) and reward (the treat) to get your dog trained. For the humping, immediately get the dog off of you and into a "sit". Once they are calmly sitting its again time for "good dog" & a treat. You will be amazed at how fast positive training techniques work!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Va-cat's advice is right on target!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 PM

Thank you for the advice! I will start the leashing her in the back yard when she has to go, as soon as the ice on my deck melts. I hope it works. I'm having trouble imagining her connecting the treat reward to not having kicked...but I will give it a try!

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Maybe when she does kick you could tell her "no kick" in your stern voice and then when she doesn't, "Good girl, no kick!" in your happy voice with a treat.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the advice! I will start the leashing her in the back yard when she has to go, as soon as the ice on my deck melts. I hope it works. I'm having trouble imagining her connecting the treat reward to not having kicked...but I will give it a try!

Thanks!
The treat is given to reward and reinforce the positive behaviour (walking away from the area) not for not doing the negitive. Thats why its called positive reinforcement training. It teaches the dog that "if I do this, I will get a treat" not "if I DON"T do this I will get a treat" see the difference? Believe me if you are consistant for a week or two weeks it WILL work and the leg kick will be replaced with just walking away!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 PM

Va-cat, yes I get it now. Thanks for explaining!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Va-cat, yes I get it now. Thanks for explaining!
My pleasure. Get back to us and let us know how its going!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs