Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

We have a hound (Rip) that is about 18 months old.

I have never seen a dog act like him.

He has extremely high energy. He gets lots of exercise.

He is an outside dog, has a nice kennel and in the morning comes by the house to a cable and nice dog house.

He jumps up on me, will not listen for more than two seconds. Nips at me when I walk away.

To night I was holding him and he was so hyper he tossed his head back in my face giving me a bloody noise. This was after he ran behind the quad for 10 miles.

He has a trainer for hunting. That he is good at but, the trainer said to just leave him in the kennel.

He is a loving dog but, just can't seem to be still.

Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Kizzy is mostly pointer and lab (?), but definitely has hound in him too. Though he's not as high energy as you describe, he definitely has some of those traits you've described.

Some dogs are just like this, I guess. Sorry, can't be of more help.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:40 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We have a hound (Rip) that is about 18 months old.

I have never seen a dog act like him.

He has extremely high energy. He gets lots of exercise.

He is an outside dog, has a nice kennel and in the morning comes by the house to a cable and nice dog house.

He jumps up on me, will not listen for more than two seconds. Nips at me when I walk away.

To night I was holding him and he was so hyper he tossed his head back in my face giving me a bloody noise. This was after he ran behind the quad for 10 miles.

He has a trainer for hunting. That he is good at but, the trainer said to just leave him in the kennel.

He is a loving dog but, just can't seem to be still.

Any thoughts???
Welcome to the wild and weird world of hounds We adopted a hound last summer after years and years and years of having Retrievers. As you are finding out - oh yes - hounds are different! They are energy packed and have two speeds full speed ahead and full stop. Our Sammie is just about the same age as yours and we are finding all sorts of differences. Like....
  • Attention span - at this point it can be measured in nano-seconds. Training is accomplished by repetition and then only after about two hours of energy is burned off
  • Affection - they are affectionate but on their own terms. Sammie loves attention when she wants it. If I initiate it, many times she will walk away
  • The nose is everything! Never is she happier than when she is on a long leash and following what her nose has found. Best exercise we can give her is to drag her toy then hide it in the yard and let her find it.
  • She will "fetch" when a toy is thrown but don't hold your breath for a "retrieve". She just doesn't see the purpose of giving it back when its so much more fun to watch Mom chase around trying to get the toy back
  • Selective hearing I think is bred into them. Maybe she will come when called or maybe not. For obvious reasons she is never allowed out of a fenced area off leash.
Would I ever trade her in? Not on a bet! As we have gotten to know her, we have found that her sense of fun, adventure and impishness has us laughing at least once a day. Hounds are not for everyone but if you accept them for the dogs they are, quirks and all, you will never regret it!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
  • Attention span - at this point it can be measured in nano-seconds. Training is accomplished by repetition and then only after about two hours of energy is burned off
  • Affection - they are affectionate but on their own terms. Sammie loves attention when she wants it. If I initiate it, many times she will walk away
  • The nose is everything! Never is she happier than when she is on a long leash and following what her nose has found. Best exercise we can give her is to drag her toy then hide it in the yard and let her find it.
  • She will "fetch" when a toy is thrown but don't hold your breath for a "retrieve". She just doesn't see the purpose of giving it back when its so much more fun to watch Mom chase around trying to get the toy back
  • Selective hearing I think is bred into them. Maybe she will come when called or maybe not. For obvious reasons she is never allowed out of a fenced area off leash.
WOW, that's totally Kizzy. I had written a lot of it off as "puppy", but guess not. Oh well, he's my little buddy regardless.

The affection thing just cracks me up. He's a snuggler, but on his own terms. And, God forbid you should ask for a kiss, he just turns his nose 9 times out of 10.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 PM

Default Oh and I forgot to add...

DH calls Sammie our "Dr Suess dog". You know the dog in "The Grinch that stole Christmas"? Well..... Sammie is the spitting image of that dog and has all the funniness that is in that cartoon. Its not often that a dog channels a cartoon character! Ya gotta love 'em!

Last edited by Va-Cat; 01-10-2011 at 11:40 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Thanks for the replies!!!

Maybe I am trying to make him into a lab. The trainer tells me that.

Seems like anything I do with this dog is wrong according to the trainer.

This AM I told the trainer about how hyper Rip was after I used the drag for exercise.

Now, the trainer said I should not use the drag that much. He said the dog will get so he will only follow a "hot" sent.

Maybe Rip will grow up some day.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Gotta love hounds!
I had a ten-year-old beagle/basset (RIP, Snoops!) who bit me when I pulled his head out of the refrig, defeated child locks on the cabinets, and learned to knock food dishes out of my hands, climbed on the coffee table if he wanted to plop down next to me. He was low energy. Slept and angled for food. A hound friend of mine has two hounds who are about seven and they are still very high energy, especially around food, and they get a 3-mile walk every day.
I am feeling nostalgic for a hound adoption... never thought I would.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Maybe I am trying to make him into a lab. The trainer tells me that. Maybe Rip will grow up some day.
LOL We have a Lab, a Chessie and a Hound. Sammie is picking up on a few Labbie tendencies but mostly she acts like the hound she is. Best advice I can give you is to let his personality guide you on how to live and work with him. For all their energy and short attention spans, most hounds are very smart and will give you clues on how best to handle them. Oh and yes...... there is a light at the end of the tunnel of energy......in about 8 or 9 years. Rip may slow down a little bit by then but I wouldn't bet the farm on it

Old 01-11-2011, 10:26 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
We adopted a little beagle girl from Tennessee last year......she was a special needs girl.....and her picture so beautiful.....that we couldnt resist. Both of us are older.....I have had a series of dogs over the years...all mixed breeds....mostly collie, shepherd, setter mixes.....never a hound. My partner had had a series of 4 Westies.

This past year has been an experience.......Beagles are unlike any dog I ever knew before......Our little Allie has some of the traits described above.......at times she seems aloof and not to need us or anyone.....she will remove herself from social settings and go off and snooze on her fav. chair....she keeps an eye on your but really ignores us.......then at other times she will come and throw herself down at our feet and roll and wiggle and squeel (an uncanny vocalization.....more like singing than barking or howling)......at those time she cant get enough petting and lovin' up.....

Her special need status was due to an amputation of her front leg......but she is determined not to let it slow her down......she spends most of the day out in the fenced in back yard.....at this time of year tracking the shrews and mice who tunnel under the snow.....she will track for 3 or 4 hours straight. She caught one....but with her one front leg she has a hard time getting under the crusty snow......but it keeps her entertained.

She is one of the smaller sized beagles and is red and white (not tri colored)....she is so cute she gets lots of attention when she meets new people......she can melt anyone's heart.

Walking her can be a challenge.....she is very stubborn and when she decides she doesnt want to go any further......she just plops down....if you give the leash a tug....she either slips it....or rolls over on her back and breaks eye contact with you.....for all intents and purposes...you disappear.

She has won over our hearts.....I can't imagine life without her......She is different....precious.....fun.....and unpredictable. When left to her own devices and unsupervised.....she gets into trouble.....her favorite activity in those circumstances is to find a button shirt in the hamper of carelessly left with in reach...and to crack all the buttons. I know she won't learn not to do this so its our fault if she gets another shirt.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I adopted a hound a few years ago! VERY DIFFERENT! But I'm enjoying every minute of it. They're snugglers! They do calm down eventually with age.

I recommend a second dog to keep your hound busy. Hounds are pack dogs. They love being part of a pack. He'll have someone to tire him out too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs