Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times

Advertisements

Update: She is doing better. She pee'd and pooped, finally. She is eating her meals, not much water but she's ok. Thanks to everyone for your support and kindness. She is on Pretnisone and nothing but crate rest.

ZSP - yes they took x-rays, she has 3 collapsed disks.

In reading blogs, forums etc....of other pet owners that have gone through this I've seen them say: burst disks, slipped disks, dislocated disks so I'm guessing it's all the same? My vet said "collapsed". Yesterday I called four places for answers to her not pee/poop and not drinking water; 2 were closed and the other 2 wouldn't answer me. So I guess I know now if I need help on a weekend, it's not easy. Thanks to everyone for help here, I can always count on my CD friends and especially in this case one in particular that really went out of her way and helped me more than she knows. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times
I am so glad to hear that your baby is doing better in the eating, drinking, and the rest. Whew..I know that must be a load off of your mind for the time being. I know in my heart she will heal,.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Update: She is doing better. She pee'd and pooped, finally. She is eating her meals, not much water but she's ok. Thanks to everyone for your support and kindness. She is on Pretnisone and nothing but crate rest.
GREAT news! YAY!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
SO happy she's doing better!!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

ZSP - yes they took x-rays, she has 3 collapsed disks.

In reading blogs, forums etc....of other pet owners that have gone through this I've seen them say: burst disks, slipped disks, dislocated disks so I'm guessing it's all the same? My vet said "collapsed". Yesterday I called four places for answers to her not pee/poop and not drinking water; 2 were closed and the other 2 wouldn't answer me. So I guess I know now if I need help on a weekend, it's not easy. Thanks to everyone for help here, I can always count on my CD friends and especially in this case one in particular that really went out of her way and helped me more than she knows. Thank you!
I'm so glad you let us know how Bella is doing. I was thinking about your girl this morning and hoping all was well. There are many different ways that the discs between the vertebrae can be injured and each term is used for the slight differences noted in the presentation as seen on the x-rays. The most important thing is that (in most cases) the treatment is the same. Steroids, anti-inflammitories and limiting movement (resting) so the discs can heal. I know its hard to keep a high energy dog quiet but its really important, especially right after the injury. When you go to see your vet again, take a list of questions with you. That way you will get the answers you need to help Bella recover fully to her former self! Keep us up on her progress and best wishes from here in Houston for her quick and full recovery

Old 01-23-2011, 12:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i also wanted to add prednisone can effect appitite/drinking. make sure she stays hydratyed and otherwise just give her lots of love and lots of rest, shes probably very confused right now as dogs dont seem to understand the crate rest is for their own good lol

Old 01-23-2011, 01:08 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
Glad to hear your baby is doing better this morning. I read your reply to the questions in my post and I have just one more...
You said she's on Prednisone and crate rest...no pain meds? Do you think she's still having any pain?

I'm only asking because Wolfgang is on a decreasing dose of Prednisone also, but along with a pain med too. Pred is a great anti-inflammatory but doesn't help with pain. Just curious.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I'm so glad you let us know how Bella is doing. I was thinking about your girl this morning and hoping all was well. There are many different ways that the discs between the vertebrae can be injured and each term is used for the slight differences noted in the presentation as seen on the x-rays. The most important thing is that (in most cases) the treatment is the same. Steroids, anti-inflammitories and limiting movement (resting) so the discs can heal. I know its hard to keep a high energy dog quiet but its really important, especially right after the injury. When you go to see your vet again, take a list of questions with you. That way you will get the answers you need to help Bella recover fully to her former self! Keep us up on her progress and best wishes from here in Houston for her quick and full recovery
I'm lucky so far...she is a very high energy pup but she's doing well keeping calm. I just wish I could tell her she didn't do anything wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
Glad to hear your baby is doing better this morning. I read your reply to the questions in my post and I have just one more...
You said she's on Prednisone and crate rest...no pain meds? Do you think she's still having any pain?

I'm only asking because Wolfgang is on a decreasing dose of Prednisone also, but along with a pain med too. Pred is a great anti-inflammatory but doesn't help with pain. Just curious.
They gave her a shot for pain but thats it. I know she is still in pain when she moves or I take her out but when she's laying there, she seems to be ok. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow about this because I was wondering too about pain meds. At the same time, I don't want to give her drugs unless totally necessary. I'm on pain meds for my own health problems and honestly, they don't really work. They just seem to make me tired and a little high but I still feel the pain.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
I don't like giving pain meds either, to myself or my dogs, but when you have an active dog to begin with, sometimes pain meds are what allows them to rest. My Frenchie has been on a decreasing dose of Tramadol, along with the Prednisone. One more day and he'll be off both.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Any updates on Bella? How is she doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs