Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,907 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is the first time I have had to handle taking care of a puppy so young. We didn't really pick her, she kind of fell in our lap, but I'm going to try and do what I can to make sure she grows up healthy.

That being said, again, I know little about this stuff, so here I am.

Before I got my puppy she had already had 2 worming treatments. Again, she kind of fell in my lap (my boyfriend's mom "surprised" us with her) so I had no contact at all with the previous owner about how those went (and I can't call and ask because she doesn't remember the contact information). Anyway, she just went in for another yesterday, and this morning I found in her kennel 2 poop piles with long spaghetti-like strings in it.

From browsing around I already understand these are roundworms. I know she'll go back for more deworming medication in a couple weeks, but should I go ahead and go in now? Or just take a stool sample to them (I didn't know I was supposed to the first time I went so I have a small container they gave me for it to take in at some point)?

I'll be honest, I'm kind of freaking. I've never had to deal with this before. Any advice would be helpful at this point, thanks!

If it helps any, she's an Akita/Husky mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I'd consult with your vet. The worms may have been killed by the meds. Also I think the meds only kill the worms in the adult stage any worms that are eggs at the time of treatment survive and that is why there are multiple rounds of treatment.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 15,543 times
Yes, take the stool sample to them immediately. The stool should be no more than 3 hours. Take the dpg with you. Hope she's fine.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,899 times
puppies will sometimes pass worms for the first few doses--I wouldn't freak--but I would take her in

Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,986 times
I agree take sample and pup back to vets and talk to vet about your questions on what to expect in dog ownership. Proper diet, grooming etc.

She sounds like a wonderful mix I love Akitas and Huskys. Akitas can be very protective so socialization is key with any dog. Check into puppy classes once she meets most class standards (shots and health and age appropiate).

head to local Library or if you prefer bookstore and look into books on home medical first aid for dogs, training.

Even though dog ownership can be stressful from time to time the benefits out weigh the troubles.

Oh one last thing.... you might want to start a saving account for pup. That way if a situation happens that needs extra money you will have some saved up. Check into medical insurance for the pup as well. But having a supply of money even for the annual shots, heartworm meds and other fun stuff will be handy. I have had dogs that lived a great healthy life never needing more then just yearly visits and others that cost thousands. When people say pets are like children... that is what is it about. You may never need that extra cash but if you do... it is handy.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Take her to the Vet. You need to get your own vet to give her a good exam. Establishing a good relationship with a vet you like is such an important part of animal ownership. A dog of her breed can be a handfull for even a very experienced dog owner. It's very critical for both you and the dog to have her very well trained. I suggest that you start puppy obiedience classes as soon as she hits the minimum age for it. A well trained dog of her type is a joy to own but an untrained one is a nightmare.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhessika View Post
Okay, this is the first time I have had to handle taking care of a puppy so young. We didn't really pick her, she kind of fell in our lap, but I'm going to try and do what I can to make sure she grows up healthy.

That being said, again, I know little about this stuff, so here I am.

Before I got my puppy she had already had 2 worming treatments. Again, she kind of fell in my lap (my boyfriend's mom "surprised" us with her) so I had no contact at all with the previous owner about how those went (and I can't call and ask because she doesn't remember the contact information). Anyway, she just went in for another yesterday, and this morning I found in her kennel 2 poop piles with long spaghetti-like strings in it.

From browsing around I already understand these are roundworms. I know she'll go back for more deworming medication in a couple weeks, but should I go ahead and go in now? Or just take a stool sample to them (I didn't know I was supposed to the first time I went so I have a small container they gave me for it to take in at some point)?

I'll be honest, I'm kind of freaking. I've never had to deal with this before. Any advice would be helpful at this point, thanks!

If it helps any, she's an Akita/Husky mix.
So, I guess she is already under the care of a veterinarian? Then call them and tell them that their are worms in her stool and proceed accordingly. If she is not under the care of a vet, she needs to be. Do not try to diagnose and treat a puppy yourself, especially a sick one.

I agree that the meds may just be killing the intestines, which then exit her system via her fecal matter. That's actually what it sounds like to me. With active roundworm infections, the puppy usually coughs them up (oh, yeah, that's a lovely sight.) So, if they are in her stool, they are either dead or not roundworms.

Moreover, you didn't say how old your puppy is. If she is 8 weeks or more, she really shouldn't have these symptoms if she has been regularly wormed since she was born. That tells me that either the previous owner is lying or that she wasn't worming the puppy properly. This is why it is so important to know what kind of worms your puppy has, so that she can be effectively treated by a veterinarian.

If your puppy hasn't seen a vet yet, then she needs to. And if she has, then you need to ask the vet what kind of worms she has. If he/she is vague or doesn't know, then find another vet. Whatever you do, do not try to diagnose and treat her by yourself.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Be certain to clean up the potty area outside immediately so the pup doesn't re-infect herself with worm eggs should she step or eat her poop.

It is not unusual for it to take 3 wormings expecially if wherever she was bred didn't pooper scoop fastidiously.

Oh, congratulations on your new pupper, welcome to the forum and we do expect to see puppy pictures!

Old 01-06-2015, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,418 times
Our 13 week old cockerpoo ***** is constantly hanging onto trousers and anything that is within reach. On the plus side she is crate trained and house trained so long as I see her standing by the back door, if she would bark, I wouldn't have to be on hand. We cannot go out into the big wide world until the end of the month, when her vaccinations are complete, so she is bored easily. Start obedience classes beginning of February, but we wouldn't be without her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs