Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times

Advertisements

My parents are staying with me for the winter and spring. They brought their dog, Zoey, who is my dog's sister. (Same litter.) But behavior-wise, Zoey and Bandit are night and day. Bandit is calm, cooperative, quiet. He's a dominant dog by nature, but in our little pack of two, he totally accepts me as the boss, and we have a very harmonious, respectful, cooperative, EASY relationship.

Zoey is SUPER-dominant, but in a stubborn, insistent, headstrong, incorrigible way. (My family jokes that her real name is Zoey-No, because she is ALWAYS doing something naughty.) She was sold to a family when she was 3 months old, but they gave her back to my brother (who owns the parent dogs) when she was about a year old, because they just couldn't deal with her. We think that she seemed a bit damaged when we got her back-- we think the other family was maybe a little physically abusive with her because they couldn't deal with her behavior and dominance. The other part of her personality is that she's very sweet and loving and sensitive and gets her feelings hurt, so my parents feel like they have to coddle her and be gentle with her always and give in to her demands. (Plus -- I'll be honest -- they're too lazy and impatient to try to WORK with her.) So in their little pack of 3, Zoey is the "top-dog."

Anyway, for the last couple days -- seriously, it's only been about 2 or 3 days -- I've been working with Zoey on two tasks: sitting and waiting before we go out the door for walks, and staying out of the kitchen when I'm in there cooking. I started with the sit-and-wait before going out, and then today I added the whole "stay out of the kitchen" bit.

I'm soooooo impressed with her! She's being so good. She's whining less and giving me less backtalk and being more responsive to my commands to "sit" and "wait." (I tell her as she's sassing me that I don't care about the back-talk as long as ultimately she does what I tell her to do. And eventually she does.)

She is very different she is with me than she is with my dad. She's still totally ignoring him -- but as they say, dog-training is as much about training the people as it is about training the dog. Zoey's trying to learn because I'm insisting and she's trying to please me. My dad....not so much!

Here's a question: Now that we're doing well with the sitting and waiting for the release command before going out the door, what are the best methods for teaching her that she doesn't need to BOLT out the door, which she does about half the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
My parents are staying with me for the winter and spring. They brought their dog, Zoey, who is my dog's sister. (Same litter.) But behavior-wise, Zoey and Bandit are night and day. Bandit is calm, cooperative, quiet. He's a dominant dog by nature, but in our little pack of two, he totally accepts me as the boss, and we have a very harmonious, respectful, cooperative, EASY relationship.

Zoey is SUPER-dominant, but in a stubborn, insistent, headstrong, incorrigible way. (My family jokes that her real name is Zoey-No, because she is ALWAYS doing something naughty.) She was sold to a family when she was 3 months old, but they gave her back to my brother (who owns the parent dogs) when she was about a year old, because they just couldn't deal with her. We think that she seemed a bit damaged when we got her back-- we think the other family was maybe a little physically abusive with her because they couldn't deal with her behavior and dominance. The other part of her personality is that she's very sweet and loving and sensitive and gets her feelings hurt, so my parents feel like they have to coddle her and be gentle with her always and give in to her demands. (Plus -- I'll be honest -- they're too lazy and impatient to try to WORK with her.) So in their little pack of 3, Zoey is the "top-dog."

Anyway, for the last couple days -- seriously, it's only been about 2 or 3 days -- I've been working with Zoey on two tasks: sitting and waiting before we go out the door for walks, and staying out of the kitchen when I'm in there cooking. I started with the sit-and-wait before going out, and then today I added the whole "stay out of the kitchen" bit.

I'm soooooo impressed with her! She's being so good. She's whining less and giving me less backtalk and being more responsive to my commands to "sit" and "wait." (I tell her as she's sassing me that I don't care about the back-talk as long as ultimately she does what I tell her to do. And eventually she does.)

She is very different she is with me than she is with my dad. She's still totally ignoring him -- but as they say, dog-training is as much about training the people as it is about training the dog. Zoey's trying to learn because I'm insisting and she's trying to please me. My dad....not so much!

Here's a question: Now that we're doing well with the sitting and waiting for the release command before going out the door, what are the best methods for teaching her that she doesn't need to BOLT out the door, which she does about half the time.
Thank you thank you THANK YOU for understanding Zoey and helping her to be the dog she can be. As she ages, she will probably end up a bit more responsive to your Dad but will always look first to you for guidance and cues. As for the door exercise....easiest way is to train is to stop again at the threshold and again just outside the door. It teaches that the "wait" command isn't location specific and calm response will get her what she wants much faster. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 AM

457 posts, read 889,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Thank you thank you THANK YOU for understanding Zoey and helping her to be the dog she can be. As she ages, she will probably end up a bit more responsive to your Dad but will always look first to you for guidance and cues. As for the door exercise....easiest way is to train is to stop again at the threshold and again just outside the door. It teaches that the "wait" command isn't location specific and calm response will get her what she wants much faster. Good luck!

And to add to this...having her sit and wait on the other side of the door is a great idea. Another thing that you can do to help stop the "bolt" is to toss some treats on the other side of the door as she's going through. She will most likely stop to get them, then at that time, you can give her the "YES!" and praise, which will help her re-focus back on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs