Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,578 times

Advertisements

When I have my dog out and about people always ask, "what kind of leash is that"???

I first learned about the Gentle Leader while in obedience training with my APBT.
The training instructor would only train with this method.
Gentle Leader - About Us (broken link)

First, let me make it clear it is NOT a muzzle

The dog is still able to drink, eat, breathe, yawn...
Please be sure to read all of the information on the web page so you can learn more about it.

Gentle Leader Product Overview (broken link)

I have convinced many friends and family to switch over to the Gentle Leader. I personally do not believe in choke collars for dogs. I had a harness for my APBT but I quickly learned that the resistance that she would feel on my end would make her pull that much harder. A harness did not work for 'us'.
She wears a harness more for decoration...

Within minutes of having the Gentle Leader on her, it was literally like night and day! And no, I do not work for this company...it was purely an answer to my prayers.

She rolled around a bit when I first put it on her. Just getting use to the feel of it. And that's normal. Most dogs react that way.
I turn it into a game when I am about to put it on her...I say in excited doggie tone...lol..."put your pretty face on"...she wags her tail and knows it's time to go for an adventure!

Once I started walking with it on her the pulling TOTALLY stopped.
And she is a strong dog, no doubt about that. But when she is wearing the Gentle Leader, she does not feel the need to pull because she does not feel that resistance.

*You*, as the dog owner, are totally in control of any kind of pulling, lunging, barking...anything...as long as you have the lead attached to the Gentle Leader there should be no reason for any behavior issues.

This product is good for all dogs. In my training classes there was everything between my dog (APBT) a German Shepard, Poodle, Schnauzer, Pug and everything in between. They all mostly had the same issues of pulling, lunging, jumping the whole nine yards...and the instant they were fitted with the Gentle Leader it was amazing to see the difference first hand!

I use to always keep it on her when company would come over so she would correctly learn to not jump on guests upon greeting them. She learned quickly.

It was a life-saver for me and made walks with her such a pleasant experience.
I notice people out and about with their canine buddy and their dog is taking them for a walk...with the tugging and pulling and usually the owner ending up embarrassed screaming at the dog....

If you've tried everything...I strongly suggest a Gentle Leader.
If anyone has questions...please ask!!

Here is a picture of my dog with it on...it comes in different colors too.
Oh and don't worry, she wasn't my chauffeur that day...lol

http://carolann63.smugmug.com/photos/176861659-L.jpg (broken link)

She has the harness on in this pic...I'm not using it though...this was taken shortly after she was introduced to the Gentle Leader.
http://carolann63.smugmug.com/photos/148594169-L.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 01:01 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Default Gentle Leader

CBTB -

Thanks for the pix and links! The Gentle Leader has made all the difference with my dogs as well....great looking girl, by the way! Nice, informative post - too bad I can't rep you, I must have liked you too much in the past!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:10 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
I am trying it......and take your word for it.
Even tough my dogs are big babies, they don't listen to well, and are getting away with murder (my dh and my fault )
I hate taking my GSD on walks, because he will run off with me on the leash. The only way I am able to hold him is with a training prong collar.......
When we walk both dogs, they are trying some sort of "contest" on who is ahead. ....drives me crazy...I keep on telling my husband to "tuck them by his leg", and it works for me when I make them do it. But, he never diciplines them.....
I am going to get the "gentle leader" hoping it will stop the tiresome pulling, tugging......
BTW...Harness didn't work for us either, because they broke it pulling hard!

Last edited by MB2; 07-25-2007 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-25-2007, 01:17 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
City
Your baby is b e a u t i f u l. :-))

Old 07-25-2007, 01:20 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
I was considering buying one of them. I might just take the plunge if he dosent like the harness I got him.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,446 times
When my GSD was a puppy, I used a similar harness so she wouldn't develop the "Walk the human" habit. It worked like a charm. And now 2 years latter I can walk her with a regular coller and leash without the fear of her leading me instead of the other way around. A proper walk is the key to a proper relationship with your dog. Recommend this product to all.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:27 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
OK you twisted my arm, I just bought one to see.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
OK you twisted my arm, I just bought one to see.

Yay!

BTW, it's not as confusing to fit them as it might look Gentle Leader How To Fit (broken link)...and I might add that most pet stores sell them too.
If anyone has any doubts about a proper fit you can always take your dog to the pet store and have an associate help you.

The key is not to have it fit too tightly around the neck...loose enough that you can fit your fingers under the throat area.
And not too tight around the snout.
It might take a trial and error period to get a proper fit.

** My dog wears a size M**

Old 07-25-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
I am trying it......and take your word for it.
Even tough my dogs are big babies, they don't listen to well, and are getting away with murder (my dh and my fault )
I hate taking my GSD on walks, because he will run off with me on the leash. The only way I am able to hold him is with a training prong collar.......
When we walk both dogs, they are trying some sort of "contest" on who is ahead. ....drives me crazy...I keep on telling my husband to "tuck them by his leg", and it works for me when I make them do it. But, he never diciplines them.....
I am going to get the "gentle leader" hoping it will stop the tiresome pulling, tugging......
BTW...Harness didn't work for us either, because they broke it pulling hard!

The GSD in the training class was a large boy!...I wish I had taken pics of the class...anyhow, get the proper fit and try it out in your yard first...just to be on the safe side ...my APBT broke a chest harness or two ...I trust the Gentle Leader...she's had the same one almost a year now, and that's with walking everyday at least 3-4x's a day.

**Along with the Gentle Leader you really need to remain in control and let
the dog know that vocally, gently though. **

Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,635 times
I JUST BOUGHT ONE AS WELL!!!THANKS CITYBYTHEBAY!!!Btw, your doggie is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs