Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:02 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Since we're always hearing the bad Pit stories, I figure it's time for a good one... this was on local news this evening, and immediately I thought of the Pit owners & lovers on this board. I might not have one, but I've always defended their right to not be unfairly judged. Anyway, this is about a Pit (not sure of the precise breed) who saved her owner from an attempted RAPE in San Jose, and even helped to catch the attacker... enjoy!

SJ Prosecutors Credit Dog For Cracking Sexual Assault Case - News Story - KNTV | San Francisco

Here's a picture of the little hero, named Maya...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 06:13 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,275,975 times
Well, YEA for the bullies! Maya is a new hero!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:47 PM

216 posts, read 829,994 times
Go Maya! And isn't she just gorgeous!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:52 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,609 times
Cool. She is pretty too!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:02 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Great smile on her.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:14 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
That's so great! And she's a gorgeous pitty too! lol! Thank you soo much for posting the story for us! These dogs deserve to get some positive media attention! There are so many wonderful "pit bull" stories, but the media would rather take an attack story and twist it around to where it's a "pit bull" attack, instead of just reporting some of the many wonderful, true "pit bull" stories!

Here are some more of the great things these breeds have done..

Pet PitBull - Positive Press

It's so sad that when a dog attacks someone it's automatically a "pit bull", even though most of the time it's not, and the story is plastered all over the place! But when "pit bulls" do something good, they either say it's a Boxer mix or you just don't hear about it at all! I'm so glad that this story made the news and I'm so glad that they admitted that the dog is a pit instead of twisting the story around! Thanks again for posting this! I can get off the computer on a good note now!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:33 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,060 times
Just curious. I know my GSD would never allow any stranger into our home without our permission. According to news, the stranger was inside the home already. Do most of pitbulls accept strangers in their home? Maya is a beautiful dog.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:51 AM

216 posts, read 829,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Just curious. I know my GSD would never allow any stranger into our home without our permission. According to news, the stranger was inside the home already. Do most of pitbulls accept strangers in their home? Maya is a beautiful dog.
Unlike the GSD, "pit bulls" are generally pretty pathetic guard dogs. They're so people friendly that is it entirely likely a stranger could enter your home...so much for the "vicious pit bull" myth

Old 10-27-2007, 10:35 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
It's also possible she came home with the owner, or had been locked up (the story says she had just arrived from a party). But yeah, I've heard they aren't the best guard dogs... unlike my mutt, who'd NEVER let a stranger in uninvited!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
I think that for the most part, the "pit bull" breeds don't make good guard dogs at all! lol! I know for a fact that American Pit Bull Terriers are not good guard dogs, but I don't know as much about American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Seeing as how all three of the "pit bull" breeds are related, they were bred for pretty much the same things and bred against pretty much the same things, I would assume that AmStaffs and Staffies are just as bad at being guard dogs as APBTs are! lol!

My husband and I have been around "pit bulls", mostly APBTs, pretty much all of our lives. Most of our close friends and family currently own APBTs, AmStaffs and/ or Staffies, and my husband and I currently own three APBTs. I have never met a "pit bull" that was a guard dog at all, much less a good guard dog! lol! Like I said, I know more about APBTs than any other breed, so I'll tell you about APBTs. APBTs were originally bred for dog fighting, so they do tend to be animal aggressive. But, if they are properly socialized starting at a young age, they really shouldn't be animal aggressive. APBTs were never bred to be human aggressive though! In fact, they were specifically bred against it! Human "aggressive" dogs were undesirable as these dogs required extensive handling prior to and during their fights AND most of these dogs were also family pets so no human aggression was ever tolerated. Dogs that exhibited human aggression were typically culled, meaning that only human friendly lines were perpetuated and desired. It has been said that an APBT never met a stranger. They love and adore humans. They want so much to be apart of your family and spend time with you watching tv, walking, driving, etc. I have seen severely abused and neglected "pit bulls" who see you coming and they can't wait to be petted and loved. Even after the abuse, they want nothing more than to be with a family of their own!

Here, this is part of what this website has to say about the American Pit Bull Terriers temperament.. American Pit Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taken From Text:

Quote:
When treated well, APBTs typically have sunny personalities. They are very sweet, curious, intelligent, and clownish. They are noted for their outgoing, affectionate, eager-to-please disposition and their fondness for people. They adore attention, often relishing the company of humans and are notorious for their loyalty to their masters, even giving their lives for them... APBTs were never bred for human aggression or guarding behavior; generally they only will attack if they perceive an immediate threat to their masters or families rather than seeing every person as an intruder upon their territory. They were originally bred against human aggression because in the pit fighting days the handlers had to be able to handle their dogs as well as treat their wounds, and if necessary, quickly pull the dog out of a fight for various reasons. Any dog that did show the slightest sign of human aggression in that day was 'culled', and therefore, not allowed to carry on its bloodline. For that reason stable examples of the breed are generally not suitable as guard dogs. It is important that APBTs who display any sign of human aggression are not bred, in order to preserve the stable and friendly nature of the breed, and equally important that man aggressive dogs are never kept.
Our three APBTs are sweet hearts! They have never met someone that they didn't like! lol! They have even let a complete stranger walk into our home when we weren't there! Of course, it was someone we knew and they had permission from my husband to go to our house and get something, but none of our dogs had ever met him. When he walked up to the door all three of our dogs started barking like they always do when someones at the door, but like always, as soon as the door opened they stopped barking and started licking! lol! Now, our dogs are horrible guard dogs, but they have and would protect us if someone was truly a threat to their family (I say their family because they wouldn't just protect my husband and I. They would also protect my mother-in-law, my 9 year old brother-in-law and my 7 year old sister-in-law, because they grew up around them). APBTs are know for being horrible guard dogs because of their extreme love of humans, but they are also known to give their lives to protect their owners in a serious situation. APBTs are known to have an uncanny ability to know if someone or something is truly a threat or not.

So, to answer your question, yes, most "pit bulls" would allow a stranger to come into their home. It would be unusual if they didn't. But, as soon as that stranger becomes a serious threat to their owner, they will give their life to protect them if that's what they have to do. "Pit bulls" really are wonderful dogs! It's so sad that so many people think of them as these horrible, man-eating monsters, when in reality, that couldn't be farther from the truth! In my opinion, the breeds that are most commonly considered "dangerous", American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, German Shepherd Dogs, Doberman Pinschers, Chow Chows, Huskies, etc, are some of the most wonderful breed out there! It's sad that just because of a few irresponsible owners, all of us good owners have to be punished and have to worry about having our dogs taken away one day simply because of their breed! Anyway, I'm not going to get into that! That's a whole different thing!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 10-27-2007 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs