Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM

265 posts, read 952,524 times

Advertisements

We have a 2yo German Shepherd and we recently switched to Taste of the Wild (The Duck and Chicken one) from Blue Buffalo (Caused her to have to much energy) and Fromm Gold. She has never had any stomach issues and can eat practically anything. Not like our previous shepherd. Well we have noticed that she can clear out a room. When I mentioned it to the man at the store he had said that its most likely as a result of giving too much food. We have been giving her about 3.5 cups a day and have reduced it to about 3cups. She's about 65 lbs.

Any other thoughts on this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just recently switched Artie back to Taste of the Wild -- the change in formula of the Orijen didn't agree with his poop.

Artie is 35 pounds. He gets 3/4 of a cup twice per day -- so 1.5 cups total. He doesn't even finish that.

A friend of mine has two Labs who both eat Taste of the Wild. They're both between 70 and 80 pounds. They get one cup per day twice per day -- so 2 cups total.

It's high in protein and nutrients -- at least the Bison/Venison flavor that these three eat -- and that serving amount is plenty for them. They do get treats through the day, although not a lot.

Maybe you could try to cut it down a bit and see if the farting gets better?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Thanks so much for the info. I am so terrified of bloat since we lost our other shepherd that way 3 years ago. The serving size is 3c for her size and she is quite thin. We don't give her many treats. Maybe 1 a day but that's it. She devours her meal everytime so we have to use a rock and a bit of water to slow her down.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
May I also state that my dogs cant eat either totw or orijen . They get diareha and gas unbelievable . I had to give them a good dose of sweet potatoes to clear up the gas and diareha and put them on a boiled chicken and rice diet . They cannot eat any kind of dog food .

Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
I feed my 90 lb weim 3 cups a day of TOTW. If your pup is having gas try mixing some plain yogurt into the food for a week. I had one dog that had really bad gas while the others had no problem. I would give a big Tbls (blob) of yogurt and it clears it right up. Not so sure it is the amt though maybe just because you changed food. You feed less the higher the protein in the food.

I give my 65 lb dog 2 1/4 cups a day.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
The "suggested servings" that are listed on the bag are notoriously high. Of course they are -- the company is betting that the dog will eat whatever amount is in his/her bowl... and then they make more sales because you have to buy more food sooner.

Is she terribly thin? If so, have you spoken to your vet about that?

Artie gets a lot of treats during the day -- 3-4 liver treats and 4 pieces of chicken jerky tenders -- but he gets a ton of exercise. The Labs that I mentioned do get more than the food in their bowls -- they get some treats, a bone, and, while on walks, they get another piece of kibble every few house lengths.

Maybe you could try to lower her down to 2.5 cups per day instead of going from 3 down to 2? I'd hate to see her feeling hungry always.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM

Keeper, She has been eating TOTW for about a month or so, so it's been a while. Thanks for the suggestion on the yogurt. I'll see if reducing the amount helps first and then maybe go that route.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM

The vet said she looks really great as well as everyone who sees her. You can see her contour. She is quite the energetic pup.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 AM

553 posts, read 1,632,566 times
Did you do a gradual switch to the new food? Switching cold turkey can give them really bad gas.

Like the others suggested, I would try reducing the amount you feed. My dogs have gas no matter what food we give them, but the worst was Natural Balance vegetarian. They have done well on TOTW, and they were eating about 3 cups per day each. (62-lb greyhound with amazing metabolism and 85-lb ridgeback)

I have found plain yogurt (not light yogurt) helps, as does Pepcid. But don't give Pepcid without getting the ok from your vet.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
totw is a great food but is very rich, and can cause an upset tummy in some dogs...
i suggest giving a good food at LEAST 2 months to see the differences as it takes about 8 weeks for a body to throughly detox...
however given she was on a fairly good food already (totw is better than blue but there both good foods) id suggest parsley..
i know i know i hear it all the time "PARSLEY!?"
yes...
parsely is wonderfull for gas in dogs and people!
chop up a good sprig (2 tablespoons) of fresh or about a tablespoon of dry for a dog her size, mix it with a little water to make it stick to the kibble (just a little your not trying to make gravy) and pour it on, if you feed wet food you can just mix it right in to the wet.
you can even make parsley dog cookies (parsely is also good for the breath!) just use any dog cookie recipie and add a couple tablespoons of parsley to the mix. ive seen no real differences between using fresh or dry, but it shoudl be "organic" just to ensure it was grown pesticide free...
or just grow your own in a big pot on a deck or sunny windowsill, its good in people food too and great with fish dishes!!!

a little plain organic unsweetend yogurt will also help so you could definatly also mix the parsley in with the yogurt too!

mint also works, but ive found parsley to be the best gas reliver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs