Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

I read a thread recently about a beagle snubbing his owner. I thought, that's nuts, dogs don't hold grudges.

Yesterday, our beagle basset was being anti-social all day. He was going off into the complete opposite areas of the house to sleep.

His sudden absence was obvious enough that even my husband asked "What's up with Randy?" (Not his real name.)

We babysat our neighbor's year old puppy the night before. We didn't give the puppy more attention.

The puppy is wild. It doesn't bother our old labrador. I guess it senses that he can't handle it or won't tollerate it. The puppy adores the beagle basset and tries to play. Randy plays but can only take so much of her because he's socially awkward. At one point, Randy grabbed an empty soda bottle and started running with it, playing. Eventually he got tired and climbed up into my lap to avoid the puppy. He's 45lb dog. He stayed in my lap for hours. I didn't mind. He felt safe and knew he wouldn't get beat up by the puppy while sitting in my lap.

We left all of the dogs downstairs when we went to bed. In the middle of the night, there was a dog barking. I thought it was the old lab. When I opened the bedroom door, it was the puppy. She jumped up on our bed and slept there. Our dogs remained downstairs, didn't come up.

When the puppy owner came at 3:30am to pick up his dog, my son opened our bedroom door to get the puppy. After the puppy left, my son opened our bedroom door to let the beagle basset inside the bedroom. He crawled into his little bed that is under my nightstand.

My husband thinks he's mad that the puppy slept in our bed. I can't imagine that's the reason---they weren't in the bedroom at the same time. I don't think he knows.

I think he is worn out from being jumped on. I think he feels he lost the game playing with the empty soda bottle.

Whatever his problem, he did seem to be snubbing us all day. In the afternoon, I invited him to go bye bye in the car. He excitedly joined me and had a great time. When we got back home, he went back to being a hermit.

Last night when I was going to bed, I invited him to come upstairs to our bedroom. We usually leave the dogs downstairs. The lab is too old to walk up the stairs and he is restless at night, which keeps us up. The beagle basset has always been allowed upstairs but he has taken to sleeping on the sofa with the lab for the past 6 months.

He came up and slept in his little bed under the nightstand. I covered him with a little cover.

I'm hoping he's back to normal today.

Anyone have any ideas why he's acting the way he is?

Maybe I should stop babysitting the puppy or start returning the puppy to her own house when we go to bed (which is an option).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
He is moping, and mad at you. Dogs have feelings too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs