Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 08:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times

Advertisements

Does anyone track with their dog or get tracking titles? I am interested in getting my dog into this more... thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Does anyone track with their dog or get tracking titles? I am interested in getting my dog into this more... thanks.
Rip is my almost two year old Treeing Walker Coon hound.

We are just starting him.

He did real good in competition.

This weekend was his second "real" hunt.

Him and three other dogs tracked and treed a large bear.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I LOVE tracking!!!!!!!!!!!! It is one of the most fun things to do with your dog. I'm fortunate enough to live near and work with one of the best!!!! For years he was a tracking judge, then retired from his full time job and became an AKC rep for Tracking, now he goes around and puts on seminars, but for us locals, he has a little group that just show up and he just helps us for free!!!

What area of the country do you live in? Many times there are Obedience or Kennel clubs that will have a tracking sub group. Some parts of the country have Tracking clubs.

Tracking with your dog can be soooo rewarding and you can really develop a bond with your dog. Some of the breeders I know start their dogs tracking at 8 weeks!!!!! Never too young to start them off.

There are Tracking Yahoo groups and forum groups.

Are you interested in AKC or SAR tracking?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 PM

I am having a hard time finding people to give me instruction on how to start with your dog. Got the names of a few people who never returned my calls/emails. They do have tests here but I have no idea on how to to these... I think I might attend one just to see. (w/o dog).
I currently own a dachsie who has a great nose. We do field trials a couple times a year with her and she does really well. The fact that it is not your usual "hound" breed for tracking... I think it throws people off. But I have heard that most any dog can track. She LOVES it and I have heard that dachsies are getting more popular for tracking.
We compete in other AKC events so likely AKC.
Right now am looking for tips on how to start with her to get her ready for the test.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:56 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
My dog started out pretty well, but then he soon lost interest and I never pursued it after that. I was more concerned with obedience. What kind of dog do you have?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
I am having a hard time finding people to give me instruction on how to start with your dog. Got the names of a few people who never returned my calls/emails. They do have tests here but I have no idea on how to to these... I think I might attend one just to see. (w/o dog).
I currently own a dachsie who has a great nose. We do field trials a couple times a year with her and she does really well. The fact that it is not your usual "hound" breed for tracking... I think it throws people off. But I have heard that most any dog can track. She LOVES it and I have heard that dachsies are getting more popular for tracking.
Right now am looking for tips on how to start with her to get her ready for the test.
We wanted Rip to track and tree bear.

We would put a little sent on his food.

Then in time we would put sent on a "drag" with food at the end.

He has also been to five different trainers so, I am not taking credit for anything.

When we bought him he was sold as "well started" and I think that was true.

I also believe in bloodlines.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
What part of the country do you live in? This will help me help you find some folks. I can recommend "Enthusiastic Tracking, The Step-by-Step training Handbook" by William (Sil) Sanders. If your looking for help with getting started, it will depend on what part of the country your in so let me know and I'll tell you who to contact to find some help.

And your right Dachshunds make GREAT trackers! Many many people don't realize what great working dogs Dachshunds are, in Europe they use them for tracking wounded game (blood tracking) hunting all sorts of things. The Dachshund is one of the breeds I've long looked at, they are versitle, however, they have been a target of puppy millers so there's a ton of poorly bred ones out there. There's only a few breeder I would get one from in the USA.

I have a cyber friend who's a breeder of long hairs in Ohio. You can also check out North American Teckel Club they are returning the Dachshund/Teckle to their original uses and do all sorts of testing prior to breeding and follow the european methods of qualifing a dog for breeding - its a very interesting site.

Since you do have a Teckle (photo's please - we all love photo's here ), there are so many things you can do with your dog and they have been bred to track for centuries! After all Dachshund means Badger Dog and their job was to track then go down a dark hole after a Badger and hold them a bay until the hunter dug the Badger out and killed it. They still do this in many places in europe. My friend who's the breeder keeps track of her dogs with other owners and the dogs she's bred do just about everything under the sun, field trials, tracking (both AKC and blood tracking), obedience/ralley/ agility, earthwork and would you believe even DOCK DIVING!!!!!!!!! and lots of other things to boot. If your interested, DM me and I'll send you a link to her website, I can't post it here because it's against TOS, you can read all about her amazing Teckles!

Here's some great youtubes

This is one of my fav tracking stories about "Elvis" a tweeny Dachshund who is a AKC Tracking champion that participated in the AKC Tracking Invitational, in order to even get there the dog must be a tracking champion passing all 3 tests TD, TDX and VST. Elvis is the reason I started looking at Dachshunds, btw he was the ONLY dog to complete the track at this event!
American Kennel Club - AKC National Tracking Invitational

Blood tracking (finding wounded deer different than AKC tracking)
‪Dachshunds tracking deer‬‏ - YouTube
‪Joeri, a trained blood tracking dachshund helps find wounded deer for a NY hunter‬‏ - YouTube

Dock Diving
‪Olivers Debut Dock Dive‬‏ - YouTube

Fly ball
‪Dash Hounds - All Dachshund U-FLI Flyball Dream Team‬‏ - YouTube

Obedience
This is one of my fav clips and I'm a FAN of Olive's this is an open sit for a CD and it brings tears to my eye's that this little dog held her sit
‪Long Sit - Olive - Novice B - 12/2/2010‬‏ - YouTube
‪Olive Nov B - Heel Free & Recall - 12/2/2010‬‏ - YouTube

Agility
‪Olive Sun Excellent JWW So Cal PWD AKC Feb 2011‬‏ - YouTube

Earthdog
‪Ammo the Dachshund competes in Earthdog‬‏ - YouTube

OK so you can see I'm a working Dachshund fan.

Last edited by ReturningWest; 07-27-2011 at 06:49 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Rip is my almost two year old Treeing Walker Coon hound.
We are just starting him.
He did real good in competition.
This weekend was his second "real" hunt.
Him and three other dogs tracked and treed a large bear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We wanted Rip to track and tree bear.
We would put a little sent on his food.
Then in time we would put sent on a "drag" with food at the end.
He has also been to five different trainers so, I am not taking credit for anything.
When we bought him he was sold as "well started" and I think that was true.
I also believe in bloodlines.
Driller, the type of tracking the OP is talking about is different than what you are training for...you are training for a type of hunt tracking. The OP is looking at the AKC tracking tests/competitions that you can read about here:
American Kennel Club - AKC Tracking
The training for the two are very different.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the links, I may have met the breeder you know. The only problem with field trials is lack of facilities, not too many around the united states I would love to see more of them. I think this could be popular as dachshunds are naturals at it. I always advise people who are looking for dachshunds that they are little and cute but they are really small hunting dogs.
We do not hunt, only very occasionally and not for deer. We are now seeing the wirehaired dachsies used for tracking and hunting. Many are importing lines from Europe for this. They are outstanding dogs but we really like our longhaired for the temperments.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the links, I may have met the breeder you know. The only problem with field trials is lack of facilities, not too many around the united states I would love to see more of them. I think this could be popular as dachshunds are naturals at it. I always advise people who are looking for dachshunds that they are little and cute but they are really small hunting dogs.
We do not hunt, only very occasionally and not for deer. We are now seeing the wirehaired dachsies used for tracking and hunting. Many are importing lines from Europe for this. They are outstanding dogs but we really like our longhaired for the temperments.
Your welcome...photos photos photos...lets see your little Teckle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs