Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:30 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,903 times

Advertisements

Can this be fixed? Is she in pain?

Thank you

(901)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:19 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Can this be fixed? Is she in pain?

Thank you

(901)
Call her Snaggletooth?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
Probably not an issue as long as it is not broken down to the gum.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:55 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
if she's eating ok, i wouldnt worry about it but if she's not, would take her to the vet as the nerves may be exposed etc

Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
It may or may not need to be fixed; she may or may not be in pain.

My dog had a loose tooth after lunging for something on the ground; long story made short, she was given antibiotics as we were about to go on a trip. She didn't act like she was in pain in the slightest. Zero. Eating and drinking like normal. The vet believed that as long as she was on the antibiotic (as it was one that also worked on preventing bone infection, too), she would be fine until we got home, and indeed, she appeared fine on the trip. Like enthusiastically fine. Like normal.

Came home, went to the vet to get the tooth removed. Result? 7 teeth removed - it is either cancer or a really bad infection, waiting for results on that. And it wasn't hard to remove them (including the lower canine, which is normally a bigger deal to remove), because the top of her jaw bone was mush, thus they weren't really being held in place any more. And not a whimper, or eating less or anything showing that from my girl.

If I'd had even the slightest concern while at the vet's initially that this could have been the outcome, I'd have postponed the trip and had the surgery that day.

So I'd like to say that well, a chipped tooth shouldn't be a big deal, and really, I still think that is true. But you know, after this experience, my advice would be to let your vet see what he/she thinks about it. Yeah, I know that is what I did, and still my result sucks. But given what we found when we went to remove the tooth, I can say with certainty that some dogs hide pain 100% - I still can't believe she showed no signs of pain, given the shape her teeth were in. I am still reeling, in fact.

I can't tell you how horrible I feel about this. The only thing that could make this feel worse would be if I hadn't even had it checked out with a vet. It doesn't always turn out this way - I've had dogs with a chipped tooth before that had absolutely no issues. But at least go and try to make sure that you are dealing with a "no issues" situation. This is my first experience with such a thing, and I've had dogs for 3 decades.

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be a no big deal thing for you guys.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 08-14-2011 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
As the others have posted, it's sometimes hard to tell. One of my dogs had a slab fracture and the only way I found out was an unusual bad odor coming from her mouth. Off to the vet we went and the tooth had to be removed a day or two later. Also, if your dog is licking his/her lips excessively, or salivating, that's another telltale sign of something going on.

As always, when in doubt, see your vet.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 24,021 times
Hopefully it's not a problem, but you need to ask your vet.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Please take her to the vet for a professional opinion. The last thing that you would want is for her to be in pain and we all know how painful dental problems can be.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
If it is one of her canines I would take her to a canine dentist.
Most regular vets are poorly equipped to deal with dog dental issues.

A broken canine can let in an infection to the root of the tooth and it can be much worse than initial. The canines have very long roots.....upper canine issues can get involved with the nasal cavity and lower canine roots are part of the support structure for the lower jaw.

If it is an incisor - I would just watch and see.

If it is a molar I guess it depends on the amount - I have seen them crack but not chip though.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 10,672 times
This article was pulled off the internet. I believe it's very important to read and understand the points that are being made.

Several different types of tooth fractures may occur in pets, with crown fractures being the most common. There are basically 2 types of crown fractures; Complicated crown fractures (charted as CCF) and Uncomplicated crown fractures (charted as UCF). [mod]copyright violation, 1-2 sentences and link[/mod]

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-05-2014 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs