Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 PM

157 posts, read 578,167 times

Advertisements

I just moved to an area north of downtown Houston. The neighborhood is still kind of slummy (jobless people living in shacks with dogs tied up or not enclosed at all). I moved here because the price tag was right & the neighborhood will gentrify after the rail is built.

I love the house & my dog like having the yard option, however, I can't walk my dog with out having at least 1 unleashed encounter EVERY BLOCK.

I report at least 3 a day to animal control & made a special call to HSPCA today because I could see the spine of one poor pitbull running after us. I honestly don't know how he had the energy as it looked like he hadn't been fed in weeks.

Most are strays, many malnourished, and I didn't see a single one with a collar/tags. All are very territorial & act very mean toward my lil rescue terrier (who isn't a bit aggressive). And I imagine this is where many new litters come from since I highly doubt they are fixed (the males don't appear to be anyway).

For now I think we will drive to a park in my old neighborhood. But until then, what is the best way to get animal control on this? Advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Sounds like where I live! Mount Morris, Michigan, just north of Flint.

AC in this county is broke, and they kill anything that looks remotely like a pit bull or pit bull mix regardless of age, apparent temperament, etc. So it depends largely on the financial health and disposition of your local AC. It could be that even if they wanted to be useful, they can't: no resources.

They may have a volunteer program; call and ask. Also search around for local rescues that may be able to help. Most are absolutely financially strapped and at capacity, but knowing people in the community will help. If you can afford to kick a legit rescue a few bucks, even better. Most of us in rescue network, chip in for vet bills, (or pay them outright), pay for food and maintenance vet bills out of pocket, and absolutely adore anyone who can help out...and will go the extra mile if we can for them.

Mainly it depends on the policies and resources your local AC has so that's the first call you need to make.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Wink Poor Dazzle

Life is rough for my poor Drama Queen.Poor Dazzle, When I wake up in the morning I get up let Chaos out of her crate, take her out then go back to bed. This use to be Dazzles cuddle time with me as if I have not said it before Silken Windhounds are huge cuddlers...well now that brat of a little sister Chaos jumps into bed and squeezes between Dazzle and me and wants cuddle time of her own as she pushes Dazzle out! If that is not bad enough she has been biting him when they play to the point where he yelps and she does not let go until I tell her too then when she thinks I am not paying attention she runs back and nips him again " take this you snitch" to the point where he crys out again. Granted she does not do this to her dog park pals only Dazzle and he just happens to be a big time Drama queen. He just turned 3 on the 6th of August and I was hoping some of his drama queen attributes would diminish but so far he remains the drama queen. Chaos is now 6 months and I think she is going to win the queen title that Dazzle and Phoenix have been trying to capture since Quuen Jazz's death.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:43 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,284 times
Default Strays, strays and yes...more strays

You can try local rescues and vets to see if they are willing to help. I don't know if you have the time or money but these dogs need your help. Most AC are strapped and will put down anything that remotely looks or fits the profile of a pitbull, especially if it seems territorial aggressive and of course if they are intact, that is their territory.

We need to keep in mind we have put these animals in this situation. This is a completely human made problem. It is not the dog, it is us. We do owe them. This is not a guilt trip, it is only facts.

You are doing the responsible thing with your dog and we need more responsible dog owners like yourself. Please consider contacting shelters, rescues and vets to see if maybe they too will step in to help.

Thank you for caring enough to post this and bring their plight to our attention...

...1800 miles always with a newly adopted four legged child.

Luv-A-Bull.Denver
"From wet noses to wiggly butts, our dogs are not just dogs, they are family!"

Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,613 times
Houston is notorious for this. Ever watch animal planet? One of their cops shows is entirely based on the Houston SPCA who has their own criminal investigation team, barns, hospital, etc. There aren't a whole heck of a lot of cities that have this ...which is a biiiiig clue that something's amiss. And that's putting it politely.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,464 times
I would keep calling in the strays. The only other thing I would do would be to try and educate the owners. Maybe find people to donate items so they can build a shelter for their dog. Same goes for dog food. I know our local animal shelter has a food bank.
Good luck and be safe!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 AM

157 posts, read 578,167 times
Thanks for the replies. I'm still reporting to BARC & SPCA. Last week I found an entire litter of puppies(7), and got in touch with rescue group since those would be considered adoptable. For now though, we talk our long walks in my old neighborhood a few miles away & stay within a two block radius where my dog has already met all the local strays... that minimizes "surprises" that are just way to stressful for both of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs