Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your dog expose its belly to you?
Nope, not ever. 4 4.76%
Yes, sometimes. 14 16.67%
ALL THE TIME! Belly rubs are its favorite thing!! 66 78.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Female dogs = no red rocket.
Ha! We used to have a black Lab who would launch the rocket every time he sat down. He couldn't help it. And of course it was so VISIBLE, that red thing against his black fur. My mom would say, "Sal, tuck your peter," and Sal would shift positions and put the rocket back in the silo. It was the funniest thing.

The boy dog I have now has NEVER launched the rocket. Not ever. I'm not sure if his extreme furriness has anything to do with that. We've had 4 male Sibes in the family, and I can't think of any of them who had a problem with the rocket. (I've also noticed that, with the male Sibes, their scrotal area is nice and obscured...when it's still occupied, I mean. We neuter all our pets eventually, usually within the first 6 months, but my brother kept his second male intact for a couple years.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 02:29 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I'm just curious about this. Does your dog regularly expose its belly to you? I'm not really talking about that super-submissive/fearful exposure, like when a shy dog is meeting a new dog for the first time. I just mean with you -- its trusted human companion. Does your dog expose its belly to invite belly rubs?

(My dog doesn't. Not ever.)
And how!!! Especially my boy; Harley. I tell him "Let me see the belly", and he's on his back waiting for the rubs!! Love it!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Yep. Even the cat loves his belly rubbed.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I voted "no" although our puppy always tries to get belly pets. It's not something we do. We've never allowed it from our other dogs, and this little boy is gonna have to learn it as well. I just don't like it when a dog rolls over and flashes everything at you. It kinda grosses me out.
Awww, Debz, you've got to change this plan. There's nothing like watching your pup wiggle around, loving the belly rub love. Trust me.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
If I'm trying to mind my own business and watch a show on TV I invariably get a 65 lb. dog crawling on my lap and inverting himself to invite a belly rub. Actually, it's more of a "force" than an invitation. He knows he's not supposed to do that, but he also knows that I don't really enforce that rule.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Awww, Debz, you've got to change this plan. There's nothing like watching your pup wiggle around, loving the belly rub love. Trust me.
I know he would love it, but we've had dogs for 25 years and have just never allowed it. He gets plenty of love. We lay on the floor and hug, kiss him, wrestle and snuggle. We pet and scratch behind the ears and under his chin. Just no belly pets. I have to say our newest family member is pretty slick about rolling over and trying to get those belly pets. We'll be in the middle of snuggling and playing, when all of the sudden we realize, he's managed to get onto his back and we're petting his belly before we realize what's happening.

We've had male and female dogs, it's just been one of our rules, just like never getting on the furniture. It's just not something we do.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The beagle all the time. The labradore sometimes.
My little beagle girl does too.....she rolls on the floor and wiggles with anticipation.....we tease her by giving her a dialogue such as "Do you want to see my tummy? Am I cute enough for you? Did you notice I have a pretty white tummy?" etc etc etc.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:24 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
Talking To belly rub or not to belly rub... That is the question...

All of my dogs current, past (and cats) have bellied up...as I put in an earier post.

For a dog (or cat) to show you his/her belly is an honor. It says I completely trust you. There is only one other position that says this and that is when they give you their back. If they sit with their back to you, it is another of complete and utter trust.

To ask for a belly rub, is to give you complete control. They are showing you their most vulnerable parts of their body, the soft belly, that is unprotected.

Personally, I find it an honor and have never had it gross me out. If I have been in a hurry, I have used my foot to rub their chest, scratch their head, tell them I love them and I am out the door.

I suppose it is our bond and relationship and everyone's bond and relationship is different. No better, no worse...just different.

"From wet noses to wiggly butts, our dogs are not just dogs, they are family." ~ Luv-A-Bull.Denver

Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,896 times
Both of my Shelties love belly rub/scratch, whenever they want my attention, they just lay down and show their belly up, then I sit down and play with them, I though it's happiest time for them.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
6am

276 posts, read 271,429 times
this is my playful mini schnauzer boy who love belly rub, scratch, tickle.. .he would play hi-5 hi10 in that position . his brother however prefer to be in "control" of himself .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs