Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times

Advertisements

Cannot get our little 11 lb pooch to drink. Nothing. NADA. NO WAY.
OH - she WILL lick my hand if I pour water into it. And if I cup my hand and pour water into it she'll lap at the little bit of water in the palm, but only once, maybe twice. But she will not go near her water bowl. We changed bowls - tried using a human bowl. Still won;t go near. yesterday she actually put her mouth into the bowl - as soon as she got her nose wet, she backed away from the bowl.
She was hospitalized about 3 weeks ago on an IV for dehydration. That was caused by diarrhea. Since then, she has stopped drinking.

Her diet is Raw, which is very high in water content, so we weren't too concerned. And her behavior was normal, as were her skin & feces.
BUT - last night and this AM she won't EAT either. She only licked at peanut butter on my finger - usually she devours it. And she's lethargic. And seems extra nervous - when she went for her walk this AM in her usual place, her tail was between her legs the whole time. She normally jumps up on us when we come in the room, but today she's just lying on her blanket.

I hate to have to take her to Vet again, but thinking we might not have a choice. We live in two places & have 2 vets - the one where we are now disagrees with our Diet choice, and I'm sure he'll tell us so. The one in FL, where we got the dog, recommends our diet choice. Our pooch was raised on this diet before we got her, and all her brothers & sisters & parents are on Raw & thriving wonderfully. As was she. The Vet (even up here) thought she was doing wonderfully on it, even though he isn't in favor of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Take her to the vet!

It's crazy to avoid getting your dog medical care because you fear a discussion about diet.

And you do need to be open to a change in diet if that is what's truly making her sick.

This isn't a place for stubbornness.

Regardless of diet, your dog needs to be seen by a vet.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Appt in one hour.
She's avoiding peanut butter - something is wrong!

Wasn't avoiding for fear of a discussion - was just saying that he might bring it up & it's a controversial subject - as a few threads on here have shown.

THe funny part of this is when I went to butcher to get Chicken Backs, he asked if I was going fishing. I told him, NO - it's for dog. He said his Vet has been telling him to switch to that for years. next time I went back there he thanked me & told me he switched, and his dog is more frisky than ever.
BUT - all animals(people, too) have Some sensitivity to Something. If that's the issue, we need to find what it is.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:54 PM

157 posts, read 578,029 times
I'm curious to see what the vet says. I hope your little one is okay. Keep us posted?

Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
When you took her in before for diarrhea, did they figure out what was causing it?
Sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Stupid Dog! :-)
Went to Vet - he could find nothing wrong.
When we came in, the first thing she did was go to her water bowl & have a drink.
Then she devoured her dinner tonight.
Was frisky all afternoon - now napping while watching baseball.

Maybe she's just Moody.

Last time it was Hemorragic(sp?) Gastroenteritis.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Maybe hand feeding her water and food is causing her to be spoiled. I'd stop that and see how she does. Glad she's okay right now. Thanks for update.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I'm glad she's doing better. Dogs can really turn your hair gray, can't they?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:38 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
some dogs will voluntarily fast, and if shes on a raw diet shell be getting most of her liquid form her food.

mabe she had a tummy bug...or even gas...i mean we all know that bloting "i dun wanna" feeling and often excersize, stress a car ride candislodge a stubbon gas pocket and tada, problem fixed.

i would keep an eye on her, mabe introduce some additional probiotics if shes not on any lready, given she had gastroenteritis the gut flora and fauna might still be out of whak...
ive found in the past low sodium chicken broth is a great way of enticing most ogs to consume a little more liquid if dehydration is a fear too!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I'm glad she's doing better. Dogs can really turn your hair gray, can't they?
Mine's already White! Most of which happened before I retired!

THought about trying chicken broth to get her to drink, since she LOVES chicken. But, as long as she is eating her raw fod, she's getting significant water - it's when she gets into the "I don't want to eat" mode that the water problem arises.

She loves the DOg PArk, and she hasn't been since her bout of Gastroenteritis. Didn't want to expose her to anything there until she's well past that bout. (and also since she came down with it a couple of days after her last park visit) Maybe she's just missing the park, and just the brief encounter with a couple of dogs at the Vet got her Mood up so she would eat again? (We have only one dog nearby where we live, and that dog in anti-social).

YES - I am projecting HUman Psychology on a Dog. Dog Owners are nuts!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs