Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times

Advertisements

rant alert

my roommate and I were out walking her 6 month old pit bull puppy. we took her to this dog park where the only other person there was a guy with his 3 small kids, all under 3 years old, and two larger dogs. the guy literally sat on his butt and drank beer and read a paper as his 2 older kids (the littlest one was in a stroller) were being knocked down by the dogs who kept running into them. after 10 minutes, we just decided to just leave b/c we didn't want to be held liable if Bella hurt the kid. she's completely harmless other than the occasional jumping up on you for kisses, but she is a pit and we knew how people can overreact w/ them.

we were so annoyed by this. a dog park is for DOGS to be free and run around. it isn't fair that we can't let our dog run around off leash uninhibited b/c toddlers are running around unsupervised. it just isn't a place for small children. and if parents insist on bringing kids, why can't they just keep them on the sidelines and close by their sides so he dogs can run around? ugh, between untrained little hellions to questionable parenting, we've had little luck with dog parks. I've never been a fan of them, but Bella LOVE playing with other dogs and has benefited from the socialization. now we don't even want to bother with them anymore.

okay, end rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Our local dog park also has a separate, fenced playground for kids. The offleash dog section of the park also has a minimum age requirement of 12 for dog handlers. Problem solved. Who is in charge of maintaining, etc. your dog park?

Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Dummy daddy was drinking beer in the park? Hell, easy answer to your problem (this visit). You should have reported it to the the police. Especially if he drove to the park with his kids.

But I feel your pain. Some people are just clueless.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:17 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
The better question might be why do people bring dogs to small kid parks?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Every time I read something like this, I am really glad we live on a 2.5 acre clearing in the middle of another 9 acres of dense forest. We have 4 dogs, 3 GSD's ranging from 11 yrs to 4 mo. AND, exactly ONE Genuine Rescue Muttpuppy. In the backyard we have a half acre fenced in, it has lots of room for frisbee flippin' or ball tossin', also, an 80 gallon cattle trough up against the fence in constant shade.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Yeah, I've seen that as well, including parents who get upset when dogs jump on and knock over their kids (being friendly). Small children and dog parks don't always mix.
I avoid them for other reasons now, and will probably only take them in the winter due to the rampant flea problems at dog parks.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
Because a large percentage of people are just plain dumb. Undoubtedly, their dogs are not spayed/neutered and do not wear id tags or have a microchip. Dumb dumb dumb...

Old 10-03-2011, 10:27 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Report him to who ever maintains the park. Most dog parks have minimmum age requirements. If yours does, then report the beer drinking idiot.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
If the park is park of the city/town system, odds are they ahve many rules from age restrictions to behavior rules. I bet most poeple, includeing the dog owners, have no idea whatt he rules are. because they don;t know what they are, they break the rules and others se that and they break the rules. in time there is a whole lot of rules that get broken.

Soon the place becomes out of control and people leav e all frustrated because its not what the place should be. I say, stop leaving and take the time to read and understand the rules. If the park went dwonhill because of rule violations, complain to the proper people. There is no rreason for you to abandon a park set up for you because some people are to stupid to follow the rules set out.

Now don;t expect much because odds are half the rules that are broken are being broken by people who belive in the rules so long as it applies to everyone else but them. They will applaude soem official coming in to tell underage kids they have to leave except if the underage kids are their, Now its not about underage kids but about those underage kids and how exceptuions needs to be made for their kids. Look at people with bully dogs that have to harrase smaller dogs when they come in. Nobody wants theior dog harrassed but when their dog does the harrasing, well its just a dog being a dog.

Stand up for what you belive is right and compalin to make the place better, just don;t expect others to side with you.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
WHY would parents Want their kids playing in an area where Dogs Pee & Pooo EEEWWWWWWW No Wonder Kids & Worms are on the Rise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs