Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:17 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times

Advertisements

You guys must be on my favorites list - tried to give you reps, but system tells me I need to give it a rest.

You're a great bunch, that's for sure! I appreciate the thoughtfulness, the care and love and commitment I see in you all.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,558,182 times
AAAAH, gee thanks Southbound!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
The recent reports on these dogs make me happy....persistance paid off. While I know that some here disagreed with me about saving them...i hope that the current news reports have changed your minds...they still need life time homes! In the future I hope that they change peoples mind about how bad the breed is. Maybe they will become poster dogs for the bully breeds....

Old 02-02-2008, 05:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
If you ask me I think the Feds already disposed of the dogs. They aren't in the business of nurturing and raising puppies, and as for the adult fighters? Imprinting is already in them and they will always have it though I believe the feds deep 6'd the dogs already. And if they didn't yet they should. Putting imprinted fighting dogs out there would be too controversial and dangerous.
I'm getting so tired of all this hype. I sure hope they haven't been PTS yet, until they have been giving a chance. I keep hearing conflicting info about where the dogs are and how they are doing. There are other breeds besides Pit Bulls which are dog aggressive and it can be controlled through behavior modification. They would be best suited for single dog homes of course. There is no reason to kill them and they are certainly not dangerous. They shouldn't have to pay for Vicks crime, they are victims themselves. If they are not adoptable (say if they have a poor temperament) then its reasonable to put them down like any other dog. Simply because they are rescued fighting dogs, thats in no way an excuse to just kill them. People need to take some time and learn more about the breed before they damn them. Assuming they are dangerous isn't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The recent reports on these dogs make me happy....persistance paid off. While I know that some here disagreed with me about saving them...i hope that the current news reports have changed your minds...they still need life time homes! In the future I hope that they change peoples mind about how bad the breed is. Maybe they will become poster dogs for the bully breeds....
That is awesome to hear. I hope they get homes. If only I knew some places for them to go. A fighting dog is really not too much different then any other APBT, they all have varying degrees of DA in each individual whether they have been fought or not. While I'm against dog fighting and animal baiting/fighting of any kind this breed owes its trustworthy, people friendly, stable temperament to dog fighting. It would be an utter shame and simply ridiculous to have them PTS simply for doing what the breed was bred (exploited) for to begin. If they have good temperaments then there shouldn't be an issue. A knowledgeable APBT owner would have no problem with one. Thats all who should be able to adopt APBTs anyway, uneducated people have no business owning them no matter the dogs history due to their bad reputation and big responsibility.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:26 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I admit, as much as euthanasia of a healthy dog is distressing, if it's done for lack of a home or some problems in homing the dog, at least they aren't suffering/cold/hungry/frightened/abused. The people who have to make that decision and carry it out don't do so lightly, I'm sure. But at least they're not in terrible circumstances and have been treated with care in their last days.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I admit, as much as euthanasia of a healthy dog is distressing, if it's done for lack of a home or some problems in homing the dog, at least they aren't suffering/cold/hungry/frightened/abused. The people who have to make that decision and carry it out don't do so lightly, I'm sure. But at least they're not in terrible circumstances and have been treated with care in their last days.
Not sure what you are talking about ...the dogs ARE finding New homes!!

Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
As Katie said they are finding homes, some of them are already progressing. Some are still under watch, ones which show to be very fearful and the like. It is very hard to find foster homes for this many dogs.

If you look at my thread you will see I posted these videos there....

YouTube - Michael Vick's Dogs: From Fighters to Family Pets

YouTube - FOX 5 Vick Pit Bulls Brandon Bond Georgia SPCA Rescue

This is one thats become of a therapy dog
Welcome to Our Pack, Inc.! - Pit Bull Advocates for Compassion & Kindness - Leo

From these 3 dogs a Vick dog, a dog from a fight bust in MI (involed in a fight during the bust) and a stray dog that was running the streets
Eyespot - stellaparty1.AVI (http://eyespot.com/share?cmd=permalink&r=0XCzIG2UEmlM6biEJW0pIWkRy2 - broken link)

These dogs are in rescue right now.
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/img2/V-Group.jpg (broken link)

Dogs are very smart and complex creatures. Many fighting dogs can get along with certain others dogs outside of the pit. They know the difference like other dogs who go into "working drive" but can also shut that off. Fighting is cruel and illegal but the dogs don't know that. They are not the criminals. They are being evaluated, trained and finding loving homes. My experience with this breed has been great and all and all pretty positive, ex fighters included.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:07 PM

Someone gave me Rep points for this..today!!! So I decided since it been OVER 2 YEARS..
Do You who said IT was WRONG to Save these Dogs FEEL the same?? Since I have heard Nothing but GOOD... No I Not Changed My Mind!!!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Someone gave me Rep points for this..today!!! So I decided since it been OVER 2 YEARS..
Do You who said IT was WRONG to Save these Dogs FEEL the same?? Since I have heard Nothing but GOOD... No I Not Changed My Mind!!!
I gave you a rep point for pointing that out!!!!!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Dogs are not in danger - most have homes. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs