Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

About a year ago, my vet gave me some pages for homemade diets for dogs. I never followed them and just got them out again. Her list includes about 1/3rd cooked meat, 2 cups long grain rice or macaroni, 2 T sardines in tomato sauce, canola oil, salt substitute, bonemeal tablets (4) and a multivitamin. Some have cottage cheese and potatoes instead of meat.
I don't think I'll be following her recommendations.

I have 2, 35 lb., bags of kibble to use up, so for the time being, I want to reduce the amount of kibble they get, adding cooked meat and whatever else would be good for them. Two of my kids need to lose some weight, one has a lipoma or fatty tumor that I hope will get absorbed as her diet improves. We will work towards raw, but I don't think I'm supposed to combine raw with kibble. The kibble was too much of an investment to let it go to waste. So for now, I expect to cut way back on kibble and add cooked meat, yams or sweet potato, little bit of greens or spirulina, and cocounut oil. Looking for advice on supplements, maybe bonemeal and a multi? Lots more to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
kayanne, I see that that is a cooked recipe.......
The website has both cooked and raw recipes. Here are the instructions for the ingredients I listed above, and it does leave the meat raw (eggs and rice are cooked).

http://homemadedogfood.com/feeding-raw-dog-food/

Raw Dog Food Recipe Directions:
1. In a very large bowl, bucket or in your plugged kitchen sink, crush the cooled hard boiled eggs (and shells) into small pieces.
2. Add the cooled cooked white rice
3. Add 8oz. of LickOchops omega fatty acid Supplement (1tube). Click here for this supplement.
4. Add raw ground beef.
5. Mix well and completely with your hands or with a large,strong spoon until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.

Storing your Easy Raw Dog Food:
Place 2-3 days worth of raw dog food in zip lock bags or plastic freezer containers. Store the containers of raw dog food in your freezer. You can also make individual patties or meatballs in single daily servings, freeze the raw dog food patties on cookie sheets and remove and store in larger bags/containers once frozen. Thaw the raw dog food as needed.
I personally prefer the freezer containers because they are easy to fill, thaw and serve the raw dog food. There is never any mess. I take one out and let it thaw on my counter. Feed my dogs and store the unused raw dog food in my refrigerator. When it’s empty I wash it and it is ready for the next batch of raw dog food. It works well.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The website has both cooked and raw recipes. Here are the instructions for the ingredients I listed above, and it does leave the meat raw (eggs and rice are cooked).

Easy Raw Dog Food - Homemade Dog Food

Raw Dog Food Recipe Directions:
1. In a very large bowl, bucket or in your plugged kitchen sink, crush the cooled hard boiled eggs (and shells) into small pieces.
2. Add the cooled cooked white rice
3. Add 8oz. of LickOchops omega fatty acid Supplement (1tube). Click here for this supplement.
4. Add raw ground beef.
5. Mix well and completely with your hands or with a large,strong spoon until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.

Storing your Easy Raw Dog Food:
Place 2-3 days worth of raw dog food in zip lock bags or plastic freezer containers. Store the containers of raw dog food in your freezer. You can also make individual patties or meatballs in single daily servings, freeze the raw dog food patties on cookie sheets and remove and store in larger bags/containers once frozen. Thaw the raw dog food as needed.
I personally prefer the freezer containers because they are easy to fill, thaw and serve the raw dog food. There is never any mess. I take one out and let it thaw on my counter. Feed my dogs and store the unused raw dog food in my refrigerator. When it’s empty I wash it and it is ready for the next batch of raw dog food. It works well.
I'm warming up to these recipes, after reviewing the site. I'll have to wait on the Nutrivite, that stuff is expensive, but it sounds excellent. Thanks.

***Important Note: Do not mix kibble and the raw dog food together! Doing so will GREATLY increase the chances of digestive upset for your dog!

Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
Do any of your dogs eat the egg shells? My oldest doesn't but the youngest will nibble on them.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I think the rice is probably enriched, so there's some vitamins for you I guess, if you are insistent about some grains being included. I add some oatmeal to mine from time to time.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'm down with the supplements. I guess my question is "why?" Yes, I suppose you could leave out some vital nutrient if you fed your dog the same thing day after day with a raw diet, but you won't. Or shouldn't. Mix it up! Add leafy greens - all kinds of vegetables and fruits - yogurt. Your dog doesn't need a lot of probiotics, yogurt is fine for keeping the gut straight. Just use plain yogurt, it doesn't need to be the frilly stuff. Much like humans, if dogs are eating a balanced diet they don't have to have 12 kinds of supplements. As they get older they may need some glucosamine or chondroitin, but really - don't get too hung up on the "what do I need to add now" part of it. The only part I'd really emphasize is to run the veggies through the food processor to make them more digestible, but the majority of the diet needs to be meat anyway. I whirl my raw eggs, shells and all, through the food processor too. Look in the discount meat bin at the grocery store - it's a great way to find something different for your pet. The grocery stores practically give away organ meats if they get close to their last sale date.

The recipe above without the added vitamins - if I'm not mistaken, that's what we fed to some severely underweight rescues. Rolled the stuff into ping pong sized balls and called them silky balls or something like that - I'm old and can't remember, but it made them gain weight in a hurry. They were appetizing and for scared dogs it surely was enough to get them to the food bowl...but they are definitely calorie laden and a little goes a long way.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM

I'm in the process of making the cooked recipe, but only about 1/5th of that. I have 2 lb.s of beef, 4 eggs went into the blender shell and all and they are pretty much liguified. I cooked brown rice, but cooked it with more water and for longer than usual. I don't have the supplements, but have Vitamin E, and may throw some spirulina in. I've read that kelp is really good for them.
They'll get a little of this with a little bit of kibble, until I get rid of the kibble.
Organ meats, now & then, about 10% of the meal is recommended.

They won't get much, maybe a cup - 2 of my dogs need to slim down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs