Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM

111 posts, read 235,232 times

Advertisements

I would like to get a dog and wonder which breeds would suit my living conditions. I live in an apartment and work all day, so I would have someone walk the dog once or twice a day. I would walk the dog in the morning before work, when I get home and all weekend. Will show it plenty of love when I'm home but am concerned about the amount of time the dog will be alone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
A pair of rescue Greyhounds- famous for being couch potatoes!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra23 View Post
I would like to get a dog and wonder which breeds would suit my living conditions. I live in an apartment and work all day, so I would have someone walk the dog once or twice a day. I would walk the dog in the morning before work, when I get home and all weekend. Will show it plenty of love when I'm home but am concerned about the amount of time the dog will be alone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I suggest you go to your local shelter. I'm sure that the dog that is perfect for you is there waiting for you to come through the door

Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A pair of rescue Greyhounds- famous for being couch potatoes!
I'd love to get 2 so they could have companionship, but my complex only allows 1 dog per apartment.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 AM

380 posts, read 653,111 times
Get a low-energy dog -- greyhound, basset hound, French bulldog.

What about adopting an older dog with less energy? Lots of older dogs at rescues need homes.

I too live in an apartment. I adopted a lab/Australian Shepherd mix. I give him an hour walk before work, a dog walker walks him once during the day for probably 35-40 minutes, then I walk him another hour when I get home. It's a huge time commitment. I love my dog more than anything but would definitely research breeds if I could do it again! You're doing the right thing.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
i guess i'll be the one to say it, getting a puppy who's going to be alone in a crate 9-10 hours a day is a terrible idea for you, your neighbors, and especially the dog. If you don't plan to crate him, kiss your security deposit goodbye(and anything you dont lock away)
if the people walking the dog are also going to be hanging around with it and watching it, thats another story.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 PM

I was definitely thinking of adopting an adult dog.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra23 View Post
I was definitely thinking of adopting an adult dog.
Whatever breed you choose, if you are adopting a dog you get kudos already!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Adopting an adult dog would be a good choice especially if you are working with a good agency that will be able to guide you so you don't end up with a neurotic dog that will bark, whine and/or howl while you are away! Learn about crate-training also an absolute necessity at least in the beginning so the dog doesn't eat your apartment.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:50 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Adopting an adult dog would be a good choice especially if you are working with a good agency that will be able to guide you so you don't end up with a neurotic dog that will bark, whine and/or howl while you are away! Learn about crate-training also an absolute necessity at least in the beginning so the dog doesn't eat your apartment.
^^^^ This. Also, you might look at shelters where the dogs are fostered because the foster parents will be able to tell you if the dog is already crate-trained or has separation anxiety or any other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs