Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I love my pets as much as the next person but I just can't see spending the kind of money these people are spending to clone their dead dogs. Would you? Do you think it is ethical? I can think of so much more I could do with that money- like save the lives of homeless dogs already here.....not to mention help humanity.
What do you think?

South Korea's Dog Cloning Industry Raises Ethical Red Flags - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 05:10 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I admit I never thought about cloning hard enough to think about the dog that would have to carry the embryos. And I certainly didn't think about multiple embryos resulting in multiple puppies, some deformed. That's a sickening thing to think about.
As far as wanting a replica of a dog you've had, I understand the temptation. We've loved all our pets very much, and still miss the ones that are gone years later. We have one dog who stood out among them, who I used to joke that I wanted to clone. But like you said, with animals in need of homes dying every day, that seems like a selfish choice. And there's the fact that you don't really always get an exact replica, even in looks (don't quite understand the science of that, but it's true).
And the article has shown me even more reasons not to clone a pet if I ever happen to have an extra $100,000 lying around.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:49 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i wouldnt, because despite the dog being a carbon copy of your dead dog, it still wontly be the same dog. al living thigns are made up of a genetic pre-programming but its the enviromental influence that realy shapes a dogs personality...just like a person
woudl you be the same person if you didnt meet such and such in highschool or take phsycology in college ect...

i just think cloning as a vanity thing...you want something that LOOKS like your dog...
most people seem to think itll be their dead dog ect...but in reality theres too many factors to ever truly reproduce your lost favorite pet...

would i use their DNA to clone an organ ect, absolutly...but to recrate a whole dog?! nope.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
No, for the same reasons the other posters have stated. Cloning is not resurrection. And there have been problems with premature aging with cloned animals, and so, even if the cloned dog had qualities that you would like to continue, I'm not so sure it's fair to the animal, which is a completely different animal in any case. And continuing certain qualities in dogs are what purebreds are about.

Since it is a completely different dog, I don't know what advantage there would be - the main thing about my dogs who have passed away is that I loved them for who they were. When they pass, I grieve and I always miss them but I will have other dogs who I will love for their unique qualities.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
I'll pass on the cloning. I love my dogs but I'd rather cherish their memory than attempt to recreate it with a look alike.

When the time comes that my current dogs pass I'll bury them, mourn their loss, and get another dog that will win my heart and begin a new and unique collection of memories.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
I love each and every dog but I would never have them cloned. Its their personalities that makes them so special. Thats not something that can be cloned. It would be like a strange dog walking around in my dogs body. To me that would not only be weird but creepy too.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 01-07-2012 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
I agree that loving and cherishing a dog is a great experience----and losing a great friend like that is a very painful ordeal.

That being said, I would rather keep the wonderful memories and moments stored in my mind---life is a series of events built into ones consciousness, and to attempt to bypass that natural order with cloning doesnt make sense to me.

Enjoy and cherish the great years you have with your pets----and than etch these moments into your mind and think about the great life experience.

There are just far too many unknown variables about cloning that I would rather we not experience.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:44 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,818 times
I have cats not dogs and I didn't read the article but I would have a beloved pet cloned.

If we lived in a fantasy world where money was no object and only a perfect genetic replica was produced by a surrogate cat who was treated well.

Then I think I would really enjoy the novelty and I would be able to compare the two animals to each other.

I'm not a person who is opposed to scientific breakthroughs in general though.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
NO.

Getting an exact physical replica would not result in getting a dog with the same spirit, heart, character of my heart dog extraordinaire. To have one that looked just like Solly but with a much different dogality* would not be what I was after.

*People have personalities, dogs have dogalities. Cats just have attitude.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Nope! To many dogs NEEDING homes for me to clone a dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs