Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM

149 posts, read 324,250 times

Advertisements

Glen of Imaal terriers? They seem to always pop up in my searches for a potential dog (Small-Medium size, low-shedding, good companion). However, it seems to be a kind of rare breed and some descriptions seem to vary. One place says its a couch potato, another says its high energy, another says its both (if thats possible). Has anyone on here owned or worked with a Glen? Anyone know anything about them that I couldn't find online or in a book?

On kind of a different note, one thing that always seems to come up with these dogs is the fact that they are apparently dog aggressive and have a high prey drive. Does this mean that everytime one of these dogs sees another dog or a squirrel it will run after it and fight/kill it? Would I not be able to bring a dog-aggressive to a dog park ever for fear of overt aggression? Does this vary from dog to dog? The main reason I am currently looking for a dog is for companionship and to be able to bring it with us when we travel. The last thing I want to do is to alter our schedule for walking/bringing the dog out so that we can avoid all non-hominid mammals.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
never even heard of them....

why don't you try inputting your criteria into petfinder and see what pops up??

Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I've heard of them but never seen one in real life. Being rare, I'd imagine you'd have a long wait to get a puppy, and pay big bucks.

I'm with LTTP, if you look on petfinder, you may find just what you're looking for, if your main objective is a low-shedding medium dog who is dog-friendly, rather than a certain breed. Especially with a dog that's been fostered, you will know more about the personality than going by what's typical for a certain breed.
If you're set on a Glen of Imaal, regarding dog parks, if the dog you get turns out to be dog-aggressive, please don't take him. It will be bad for everyone concerned. But a breed having a tendency for dog aggression doesn't mean each individual will be. It's up to you to find out the dog's limitations, and socialize him to dogs and people as much as you can (but not by letting it run loose in a dog park unless it's still a puppy too young to hurt another dog)

Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
glens are a rare breed and havent been much removed from thier existing USED roots...they are 100% terrier, this means BIG attitude.
they can be couch pottoes but ONLY if your illing to give the dog enough excersize and mental stimulation...a tired dog is a happy dog,and with a glen expect a minimum of 3 long walks and at least 1 good run every day...preferably also give it a job (a backpack or going to earthdog training would be great!)

ive met a few in the uk before moving to the usa, there a high wired little terier ith alot of personality...
ive not met a truly dog agressive glen, but they are a dominant breed and can be overpowering.
id say early socilization with other dogs is key, and they tend to do better playign with larger breeds than dogs thier own size...
in terms fo small animals...never ever ever trust any terier, but especially terriers like these that arnt as popular in the pet market, offleash around small mammals...rats, mice, squirrels chipmonks even birds are at risk. now outdoors ina fenced area (assuming a fence of a minimum of 4ft tall) you shoudlnt haveto orry too muhc...but offleash in an open feild, youd be lucky to get your dog back. they tend to follow prey anywhere...including underground and many terriers have been kiled following kunks into hollow logs/burrows and suffocating to death...

all in all they are a high energy loyal little dog with a BIG personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs