Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM

621 posts, read 3,205,594 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 4 dogs while I'm at work. I work as an RN, which is a 13 hour shift, plus an hour commute both ways, so I will be away for a total of 15 hours.

I work nights and my husband works days, so this was never a problem for us, but now he will be deploying in 2 months and I'm really worrying about what to do with the pups. I'm trying to switch to days, so I could at least get a dog walker to come let them out in the middle of the day for an hour or so. I do have a doggie door and a fully fenced in backyard, but I do not want to let them have free access to the yard for that long unsupervised. They are still young and I would be terribly worried something would happen. They are also not able to be left alone in the house yet, but I also hate the idea of them being crated for a long time.

I have also thought of putting them in the garage, that way they can rough house and play and be able to move about, but not sure if that is a good idea either? I'm worried once again that something would happen.

I am looking at dog walkers and have found a co. that will walk for an hour. Although, I would just want them to come and let them out and run around in the backyard for that hour in the middle of the day. Does this sound feasible? Luckily I only work 2-3 days a week, so this wouldn't be 5 days a week. I am also scared the dog walker would come, let them out to potty and put them back in their crates and not give them that full hour to run around. I have high energy breeds, that need much more than an hour, but I haven't found a co that does that yet.

Or worst case scenario, if I can't switch to days, I have no idea what I would do? Have any of you found a dog walker/pet sitter that would come around 10pm to let them out? If that was the case they would be ok until the morning. I'm just really stressing over this, as my pups are used to being crated every time we are not home, but aren't used to be crated for long periods of time, except for the rare occasion.

If you work shift work, or have any advice I would love it!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 PM

378 posts, read 704,637 times
I basically do the same thing I did when I worked a regular day shift. I work second shift. I don't crate my dogs, so basically when I get up (Usually between 10 - 11) is when my dogs get up. I let them outside for their morning pee. Get some coffee, leash them up and we go walking. Then they are free in the house and the back yard for the rest of the day. About 30 minutes before I leave I leash them up and go walking again. Turn off all lights except for a living room lamp, turn on a tv, close all doors (because my new dog is a chewer) and they get to hang out in the living room for most of the night. When I get home around 1:30 - 2:00 a.m. I let them out in the back while I get ready for bed, then we all retire.

Do you have a neighbor you trust enough that can let them out back for an hour or two then return them to their crates? Do you have a big enough room (like kitchen) where you can keep them outside their crates, but shielded off with a baby gate? I did that when I first got my pup and didn't want to leave her in her crate for 8 hours at a time.

Editing because I glossed right by your shift hours. Oh yes that's a long shift. You do have 2 months to maybe ween them off of their crates (but keep them open so if they want to they can go in). You may want to try that, and again, use the blocked off room suggestion I mentioned above if you have one big enough.

If the company you found walks for an hour then they should actually leash up the dogs and physically walk them don't you think?

Sorry, I'm being random here, but I hope some of it helps.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
JMHO -- I would not leave 4 young high energy dogs uncrated for the kinds of hours you have. Even if they are a great pack, the chances for trouble -- or God Forbid a dogfight -- could mean disastrous results. I have had this happen with the best 4 dogs ever....one got hurt and the others attacked her. Came home to a house that looked like a crime scene. What I might do was rotate the dogs so one is loose at all times. Other idea....contact a couple of local dog rescue groups and see if they have any volunteers that will come to your house 2-3 times a week and stay 1.5 hours and let the dogs out in the yard or walk 2 at a time while the other 2 play outside.... You could offer to donate money to the rescue for the service or just pay them. I belong to a rescue group and there is a doggie daycare/boarding kennel that gives our rescue boarding hours 1:1 for our volunteers working at their facility. Several of our volunteers regularly help out. Right now I happen to be home with a broken ankle and I have one of the volunteers of a rescue coming in 3x a week to walk my dogs and then also pick up droppings in my yard. I pay her $30/day. Well worth it! People who volunteer at rescue groups love dogs and often have a bit of time in their lives they can schedule around......

Old 02-17-2012, 07:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Have any of you found a dog walker/pet sitter that would come around 10pm to let them out? If that was the case they would be ok until the morning.
I don't think that you'll have much of a problem finding someone who will do that. I'm assuming that they'd only do it if they lived fairly close to you, though.

Try calling around today so that you'll know, when the time comes, who to call back when you need them to start.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,711 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 4 dogs while I'm at work. I work as an RN, which is a 13 hour shift, plus an hour commute both ways, so I will be away for a total of 15 hours.

I work nights and my husband works days, so this was never a problem for us, but now he will be deploying in 2 months and I'm really worrying about what to do with the pups. I'm trying to switch to days, so I could at least get a dog walker to come let them out in the middle of the day for an hour or so. I do have a doggie door and a fully fenced in backyard, but I do not want to let them have free access to the yard for that long unsupervised. They are still young and I would be terribly worried something would happen. They are also not able to be left alone in the house yet, but I also hate the idea of them being crated for a long time.

I have also thought of putting them in the garage, that way they can rough house and play and be able to move about, but not sure if that is a good idea either? I'm worried once again that something would happen.

I am looking at dog walkers and have found a co. that will walk for an hour. Although, I would just want them to come and let them out and run around in the backyard for that hour in the middle of the day. Does this sound feasible? Luckily I only work 2-3 days a week, so this wouldn't be 5 days a week. I am also scared the dog walker would come, let them out to potty and put them back in their crates and not give them that full hour to run around. I have high energy breeds, that need much more than an hour, but I haven't found a co that does that yet.

Or worst case scenario, if I can't switch to days, I have no idea what I would do? Have any of you found a dog walker/pet sitter that would come around 10pm to let them out? If that was the case they would be ok until the morning. I'm just really stressing over this, as my pups are used to being crated every time we are not home, but aren't used to be crated for long periods of time, except for the rare occasion.

Thank you!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a chronic workaholic, and so is the SO, so we aren't home for (easily) 12-15 hours a day. I found a volunteer who walked the dogs at the SPCA (they told her 'hey people will pay you for doing this')
I have had my dog nanny for over 14 years, she is about 72 or so years old, and she loves my dog (unfortunately, I am on my 2nd dog since I got her). I couldn't leave my dog home for such a long time each day without going outside to do her business. She comes 5 days a week, all day, and is basically a mom to my little girl. (I think the dog may like her more than me )
The dog is happy, she is happy, I am happy. Works fine.
Though, not cheap. Over this timeframe, if you compounded the interest, Harvard would have been cheaper.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,832 times
I think you should have analyzed this situation before getting 4 high energy puppies. I'm sure its not just a surprise, your husband is deploying in a few months situation. But who knows, maybe you rescued them, if so good for you.

Is there anyone you trust, or maybe a neighbor that can let them out in the backyard. Maybe leave them in the garage (clean it up and make it safe) and just have the neighbor have access to the garage and let them out for a bit. Offer compensation obviously, but it shouldnt be that bad. Maybe a good neighborhood kid who wants to make a few bucks a day.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 AM

653 posts, read 945,467 times
Quote:

Thank you!
I haven't read all the comments, just your original post, so this may have already been covered but...

Are the pups small enough that puppy pads might be an option? They'll need play time too, but at least that will give you a little more flexibility with when someone would need to be there to tend to them.

Have you considered having a trusted neighbor check in on them? Our neighbor had our other neighbor's son tend to her dog quite often. It seemed to be great for everyone. When I was out walking my pups, I'd see him walking her pup, and it gave him extra spending money. Of course, no matter who you pick, you'd only want someone you'd trust your pups with.

You could even rotate walkers to reduce the burden on one person.

Also, if you're a little more tech savvy, you can set up a puppy cam to watch them remotely via your iPhone when you're gone. I don't have this setup yet since right now the pups visit with family when I'm at work, but I plan to set it up when I relocate and the kids are home alone when I'm at work - I can already see that being a huge distraction to my day at first lol. Just an idea. It won't help with your walking situation, but it will be a way for you to make sure they're safe when they're alone and that the walker is walking them (of course, tell them the cam is there so they're not startled - the walkers, not the puppies lol).

Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,594 times
Thanks for all the great advice and tips. To answer a few questions, unfortunately no they are not small enough for pee pads. Also, I won't know any of the neighbors as I am moving after he leaves. I also agree, that I can not let them roam free, that was never an option for me. I will look into the SPCA other rescues like a PP said, I never thought of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I think you should have analyzed this situation before getting 4 high energy puppies. I'm sure its not just a surprise, your husband is deploying in a few months situation. But who knows, maybe you rescued them, if so good for you.
I never said they were puppies, which none of them are, they are all adults, which happen to be a high energy breed. And I am "analyzing" the situation now, 2 months before he leaves, to figure out the best solution. And yes I rescued them, but what does that have to do with it? Thanks though.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:23 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
I would turn the Garage into a Huge doggie playroom LOL Provide an area they can potty in [near the door for easy hosing down] & beds [away from the door & drafts]! Leave a light on but not a bright bulb Make sure they have water! When you get home feed them & put them out to play while you wind down! When you get up put them out again & again while you get ready for work! Get a puppy cam where you can watch & check on the thru your cell BUT I betting they will Love the new arrangement LOL

Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie1 View Post
i would turn the garage into a huge doggie playroom lol provide an area they can potty in & beds! Leave a light on but not a bright bulb make sure they have water! Wnen you get home feed them & put them out to play while you wind down! When you get up put them out again & again while you get ready for work! Get a puppy cam where you can watch & check on the thru your cell but i betting they will love the new arrangement lol
I like this idea. I'm not very trusting of people coming in and taking of my dogs although many have done it with great success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs