Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 AM

9 posts, read 8,577 times

Advertisements

Any lawyers or well-informed dog owners out there? I've got an important question.

I have a very social dog here in Manhattan and unfortunately I have to take her to the dog run. Not having canine interaction would make her wither and die. And 99% of the time, the dog run is a positive experience.

So now here's the question, what are your rights when a dog consistently attacks yours after you've brought it to the attention of the owner? I recently stopped playing nice and have started going after the dogs myself to protect mine. But I want to make sure that I'm not going to get hit with charges for animal cruelty. Am I within my legal rights to attack a dog that is attacking mine? I've learned the hard way not to expect the aggressive dog's owner to break it up and am fairly liberal with my punches and kicks these days. Luckily it's a very small subsection of the population I'm talking about, but it only takes one bad apple as they say.

I want to make it 100% clear: not going to the dog park is not an option, so please don't let this discussion evolve into a pros and cons of dog parks more generally. All I want to know is can I legally kick a dog that is dragging mine by the neck across the asphalt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 AM

112 posts, read 279,918 times
If the dogs attacking yours you should probably not be putting your dog in that situation. Thats kinda cruel. Just report it to the correct entity and give it a couple days. Attacking and beating on another dog isnt right either, you could get hurt yourself. After reporting and waiting a while at least take a video cam with you next time and record the day, if it happens to attack youll have evidence but dont sit there and record while your dogs getting attacked. You wont have a full fight but just something to help. Tell the owner after to stop bringing the dog around or you will have to report. Kind of a bad situation cause you either have to stop going there or find a way to have the other owner stop coming. Hopefully the other dog can get some training and be be put down though.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:55 AM

9 posts, read 8,577 times
Not asking for value judgments on whether or not beating a dog that is attacking mine is "right," but rather do I have the legal right to do so?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 AM

112 posts, read 279,918 times
I dont know, but you sound like you want to just be able to go there knowing a problem might arise and beat the dog.

Ive heard the best way to stop a dog fight is to grab the dogs back legs to take away his balance or leverage and hold them up so he stops. You may get bit at some point if this persists.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I wouldn't get involved in a dog fight. I don't know your legal rights as far as putting your hands on somebody else's dog, but I'm suspicious that if you were to get injured by a dog you just aggressed toward, you might compromise some legal recourse, yourself. But I'm not entirely sure, so I probably just wouldn't do it. I'd probably just find something else to do if I got to the dog run and the offending animals happened to be there. Since you say it's fine 99% of the time, I'm guessing this won't hinder your dog's socialization too much, if, occasionally, you don't stay. Another thing to consider is whether or not you're doing your dog any favors by putting him/her knowingly in a dangerous situation. You say your dog needs the socialization, but this is obviously not the type of interaction that's doing anything good for your dog.

I would also spend my time researching whether or not an owner with aggressive dogs has a legal right to use the space (here, they don't - dogs that are demonstrably not under solid voice command are banned from dog parks), and pursue that, rather than whether or not it's legal to beat an aggressive animal.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCamp View Post
Not asking for value judgments on whether or not beating a dog that is attacking mine is "right," but rather do I have the legal right to do so?
Is your dog being injured? That is, are bite marks and blood present? If your dog is actually incurring damage (just being dragged is NOT provable damage), you have the right to safeguard it TO THE EXTENT THAT THE DAMAGE CEASES. Please note that still doesn't give you the legal right to kick or injure the other dog. It gives you the right to get your dog and sue the other owner for damages. You do have rights, but animal cruelty is NOT one of them. Go after the owner - not the animal. BTW - animal cruelty is a criminal act and you could end up with a criminal record if you kick or beat the other dog.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 03-16-2012 at 06:25 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I would get an air horn (you can get them on amazon). As far as dealing with the owner, there have been other threads on this topic if you do a search. This dog is playing rough but not actually trying to hurt your dog. It's not behavior that should be tolerated at a dog park though.
If you were to kick the dog, it likely either wouldn't even react, or would bite your leg. Neither of these are going to help.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 AM

530 posts, read 1,340,911 times
A friend of mine uses a citronella-based spray to break up dog fights in the dog park here, and I've seen it work twice. No harm to the dogs at all. Might be worth a try....it's called something like SprayShield Animal Deterrent.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
This is why dog parks are a bad idea. Play dates with known dogs are ok, even though things can happen there too.

Never try to break up a dog fight unless you know what your doing. It could backfire onto you. I'd go with spray mentioned by another poster. Only physically try to break up a fight when absolutely necessary.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
I don't know but I'll note this - so, the last time I was at a dog park (which was the first time in a couple of years), my dog went after a deaf dog who I guess ignored her cues. My dog didn't bite the dog, but, snarled and pushed her against a tree. I was horrified, the other owner was horrified. I was trying to get my dog away but the other owner was actually between me and my dog, and was kind of kicking my dog. (I say kind of because I don't think she made contact).

So of course I removed my dog immediately once I was able to get to her - pulled her off - was lucky as it hadn't become a fight yet. Horrified. Apologized profusely.

Not happy that she was trying to kick my dog BUT my dog was the aggressor and she didn't actually hurt her - if the tables were turned, I'm not sure what I would have done.

Buy a break stick and learn to use it. Your approach may result in serious injury to both you AND your dog. Punch the owner (kidding. But really - the other owner is the real problem). Please don't hurt the other dog unless there is a knock down, drag out fight with bites. Does your park have a board? I know Ft. Tryon does and so does the one at Inwood Hill Park - responsible owners can get together and deal with this issue through shame...

I totally get the need to go to the dog park in Manhattan - it's the reason I can't move back to Manhattan. My dog needs to run off leash.

Edited: just saw your last line about dog dragging your dog by the neck - yeah I'd do what I had to do and seriously not kidding that I might do the same to the other owner who was ignoring this and then I'd be tossed in jail. I think break stick is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs