Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

My older dog had a seizure today, she is okay now, but not much info. online and of course all the vets are closed today.

I kept her calm and comfortable. She is okay now but I worry about her falling/have to lock her out of the dog pen as we have a huge pen with a ramp.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 PM

822 posts, read 3,001,836 times
My puppy had a series of seizures a few weeks ago (there's a thread on here ... 4 month old puppy ...).

The vet told me that the dog is in no danger from the seizure - unless it lasts an extremely long time or they somehow fall or hit they head, etc. He mentioned that unlike in humans where you are supposed to hold the tongue, etc., you really don't need to do any of these things to the dog. He definitely told me to time the seizure with a second hand if possible and to write down any observations - this is helpful information.

The underlying cause is another matter, but I know that the seizure itself is not a risk, but is difficult to watch. I know that they will be very disoriented afterwards, and it might be a good idea to keep the dog hydrated. (Maybe even a high calorie paste just to help with blood sugar and nutrition if no appetite, I'm just thinking).

Hope everything works out, I am sorry, it's hard to go through this!

Old 03-25-2012, 02:36 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
My rescue poodle/bichon had his first seizure at midnite at age 4. He threw up first and stopped breathing and it freaked me after about 90 seconds he calmed down and as I'm getting dressed and checking if the emergency vet is open he finally comes bounding down the hall excited about a car ride. I took him to the vet and he was fine. They said as long as he didn't have one more than once a month not to worry but if more often he could take medication. They also suggested taking a video of him. He did have one about every 6 weeks but they became milder each time. He would always throwup first and it always seemed like he had a Kirkland biscuit before. He also was in Hawaii before the first seizure and got a tick there.

I stopped giving him the Kirkland biscuit and after about two years he stopped having them. I'm not sure if the tick or the buscuit had anything to do with the seizures.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
Prior to this incident, have you noticed any head tilt, imbalance, drooping of one side of the face or behavior changes over the last month or so? How old and what breed? If it's a mixed breed can you tell me what you believe your baby is mixed with?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
Prior to this incident, have you noticed any head tilt, imbalance, drooping of one side of the face or behavior changes over the last month or so? How old and what breed? If it's a mixed breed can you tell me what you believe your baby is mixed with?
She is mostly shar-pei but with Rottie mixed in. She had eaten her Pedigree food this a.m...I dont give her treats except soft dog food, I am careful with scraps.

here is her pic:

Kimora. Rotti-pei. She is 6 and my dog Sunny lived to be 13, so I'm sad she already has the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Older dog with seizures :( ...advice-dscf5604.jpg  

Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
She is mostly shar-pei but with Rottie mixed in. She had eaten her Pedigree food this a.m...I dont give her treats except soft dog food, I am careful with scraps.

here is her pic:

Kimora. Rotti-pei. She is 6 and my dog Sunny lived to be 13, so I'm sad she already has the problem.
Hmmm. As you know, a vet visit is in order but from what you've shared it doesn't appear to be an emergency at this point. Shar-Pei's do tend, in some instances, to suffer from inflammatory diseases which are systemic in nature, USUALLY.

She is a cutey.

Last edited by second right; 03-25-2012 at 06:21 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 PM

Thanks!. She seems to be okay now, and ate and drank water again. Is now playing with Buddha and Corky.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Thanks!. She seems to be okay now, and ate and drank water again. Is now playing with Buddha and Corky.
And, that is my good news of the day!!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
And, that is my good news of the day!!
Earthfare has a good homeopathic/herbal section.

I bought "Happy Traveler" which is a mixture of:
Valerian, 100mg., Chamomile, L-tryptophan and St John's Wort.
use on P.R.N. basis

It is made for dogs to help also with anxiety, if they are traveling , etc. It worked well for her.

www.arknaturals.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs