Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

I have two of each and love them all to pieces.
However, I prefer females and the majority of my dogs have been female.

I find them to be more independent than the males and they are more protective of the family and home.
There are some drawbacks - they are definitely more aggressive with other females and they sulk, just like, well, girls.
But overall, definitely if given the choice and all else being equal, I will always pick a female over a male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
In our experience, it seems to depend on breed. Our female GSD was very dog aggressive with males OR females in our neighborhood, but in the obedience ring was completely reliable even on a 5-minute out of sight down-stay. Much the same in the breed ring, she absolutely ignored all other dogs. The males got along fine unless somebody was coming into heat, then things could get dicey. Friends who have multiple of both sexes report that females would fight viciously amongst themselves to establish dominance, and some females really seem to dislike each other (they don't call them B*TCH*S for nothing!)

In poodles (standard), I find the boys to be absolute love bugs, willing to befriend people (strangers), other dogs, cats, anything that might possibly become a new best friend. And extremely bonded to me, to the pont of being velcro and NEEDING to be nearby at all times. Females tend to be a bit more independent at home and can be stand-offish with outsiders. Oh sure, they will stand politely be petted and fawned over, but don't necessarily return the adoration, whereas the males will fall all over themselves to get more attention.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I have only had female dogs (collies)...I prefer their size and I don't want to EVER look at red rocket. Period. Ever.

They have all been great dogs.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I have an adopted male who was most likely not neutered before marking behavior got good and established, so that has been annoying. When you adopt, there is a lot you don't have a ton of control over.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
Every animal I owned has always been males from my dogs, fish, snake, etc. I just prefer males to females.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 AM

765 posts, read 2,440,764 times
Quote:
I don't want to EVER look at red rocket. Period. Ever.
Ha-ha! We call it a tube of lipstick! Now that our boy is 2 - it hardly ever appears.

I'm going to vote for male. Our English Bull Terrier is the first male for both my husband and myself. We've had a female Giant Schnauzer (too protective), female Bouvier (didn't seem to bond), female Wire Fox Terrier (too independent and had a leaky bladder from about 5 till she died at 14- vet said it was lack of estrogen from being spayed). Our male is the most loving, devoted, least aggressive dog we've had.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have only had female dogs (collies)...I prefer their size and I don't want to EVER look at red rocket. Period. Ever.
Ok, had to think there. For a while, I thought that was a breed.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 AM

298 posts, read 704,413 times
We have both males and females-2 collies and a Newfie-Lab. The female collie is the protective little mother with the grandkids. She's sweet and loving but not overly demonstrative. The male collie and Newfie-Lab are total suck-ups and always are kissing and looking for pets and cuddles. Love'em all

Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM

35 posts, read 109,397 times
We had a male lab mix while my wife was pregnant with each of our kids and both times he stuck to her like glue and was very protective of her throughout the pregnancy. I have always wondered if a female dog would have behaved similarly but my hunch says no.

I do believe that each sex exhibits different gender roles and instincts, but having grown up with female dogs and then having a male dog for the last 11 years, I believe both make equally great pets.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:12 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
The three mutts that came to my house growing up just happened to be boys, so my mental picture of a dog is a medium-sized mutt, a boy, with border collie/brittany spaniel furs and markings.
Each dog I adopt extends my "type" but I always notice the herding mixes first. I always took boys because I heard they had more trouble getting adopted. I had two girl adoptions, both of whom decided to try and kill my smaller seniors. (One went back to Best Friends, one I had to put down after she opened my ankle up to the bone).
I now have, of six dogs, two girls. One is a very tough tomboy, formerly born into hoarding, and she clings to one dog or another to the extent of sitting on him if she can't get next to him. (This does not go over big with old Artie). The other is a graceful, dainty, ladylike Brittany type old diabetic blind girl, and she couldn't be more dainty. I don't know if the girls act differently or if I see them differently because I know they're girls.
The only dogs I've known since puppyhood were boys.
For some reason, in my mind, cats are girls and dogs are boys. Horses are in between (geldings!)
I do think people tend to take girls more often, thinking they are easier or sweeter. I don't know if that' true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs