Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I apologize.
I was in a cranky mood yesterday when I posted and it clearly showed.

I really should stay away from the "pets" forums because I get too emotional and I don't have the kind of patience it takes to educate people rather than get all cranky on them.
Sheesh, we're all human, don't beat yourself up...sometimes you gotta beat someone with a 2 x 4 to get they're attention, including me...

We're all human....and I betcha when she reads this she'll understand, it's nice that you apologized, and I believe she really wants to do right by her pet, but her first initial response was that we were picking on her, rather then trying to help her and her pet....

Hugs
Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
A little history here, OhioChic got bashed but good (by me and others) when she made her first posts on this forum several months back. I wouldn't have blamed her if she never got on c-d again. But she stuck with trying to learn about how to best care for her dog and family and earned some respect. Cittic, I know what you mean about getting emotional. I do too, especially about the pitties since they really need people to go to bat for them. Just trying to explain how she might be wary of people's attitudes toward her. Your apology was a classy thing to do. This forum really can be rough on people sometimes, in the interests of helping the dogs, and I've felt bad about the way I've worded things before. I try to remember when you put people on the defensive sometimes they don't listen to what you're saying. But it's easy to let your emotions run away with you!
Anyway, Chic, I think you and Queenie can get through this. Up until age two some dogs are chewers, so lots of chew toys will help, and if you catch her in the act of chewing the toilet paper, take it away and replace it with a toy. If you can add the backpack or step up the pace of your walk, that will help. Could you swing a dog walker even a couple of days a week? If you could find someone you know who would do it, that would be even better, money-wise and trust-wise.
Please let us know how she's doing!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
A little history here, OhioChic got bashed but good (by me and others) when she made her first posts on this forum several months back. I wouldn't have blamed her if she never got on c-d again. But she stuck with trying to learn about how to best care for her dog and family and earned some respect. Cittic, I know what you mean about getting emotional. I do too, especially about the pitties since they really need people to go to bat for them. Just trying to explain how she might be wary of people's attitudes toward her. Your apology was a classy thing to do. This forum really can be rough on people sometimes, in the interests of helping the dogs, and I've felt bad about the way I've worded things before. I try to remember when you put people on the defensive sometimes they don't listen to what you're saying. But it's easy to let your emotions run away with you!
Anyway, Chic, I think you and Queenie can get through this. Up until age two some dogs are chewers, so lots of chew toys will help, and if you catch her in the act of chewing the toilet paper, take it away and replace it with a toy. If you can add the backpack or step up the pace of your walk, that will help. Could you swing a dog walker even a couple of days a week? If you could find someone you know who would do it, that would be even better, money-wise and trust-wise.
Thanks so much for your explaination, it really helps...me anyway, I tend to be way to cut and dry since I was raised with boys, and animals all my life, guess that I can be so honest, I step on toes, even though I don't mean to. And, instead of understanding that others are sometimes more sensitive then I am...well, quite honestly, if it were me, I would want to know right up front, and when I post here, of course, there are people that will not agree, however, not everyone is me, and I apologize, as I was only trying to help....

To the OP, really and seriously I want things to work out for you....

so sorry

Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
See, right away you become upset, b/c your taking this all personal....like we're telling you, your a bad person...and we're not, we're trying to help you and give you the advice you asked for.
Dogs are animals, and they cannot relay to us, what they're needs are...and the bigger the dog, the more needs it has to get out there and exercise.
Your dog can actually become mentally unstable, and is right now starting to show signs that it is...
You can't coop a dog up in a house all day and take it for a 30 minute walk and not expect problems.
It is chewing and peeing b/c it is having anxiety, it needs to do something! Dogs are mostly working animals...you know how you go to work and perform a task, you feel good, both inside and out...when you work out on a regular basis, you feel good, both inside and out...and when you get on that routine and miss one work out, you feel awful...
Dogs are no different...
You've got a problem, and you posted about it, asking for help. You've got two choices....you can take it personal and feel bad about yourself, or you can make changes to help the dog.
If you work the dog, and allow it to run until it's tounge is hanging out, your going to notice a difference, you'll have a much more mentally balanced dog, a happier dog, and it will eliviate your problems...but if you don't take heed and try and devote more time to the dog, then you could be in for more trouble then you know how to deal with. I'm talking about the dog eventually becoming so distraught, it may hurt someone. Then you may have a law suit on your hands...dogs, no matter what kind they are, need to run and exercise...

So, basically, it's your choice...but please, don't get upset or hurt, or angry b/c someone is telling you the truth and trying to help you...you ask, you can't expect everyone to coddle you and tell you, it's ok, just keep doing what your doing. There is nothing wrong with being wrong, and personally, you have a chance to learn, to grow and have a mentally stable companion...

Hope you understand...we don't dislike you...nor do we think your a bad person, basically, you are just misinformed and you need to acknowledge that your dog needs more, or else, find him a home where he can get that exercise he so desperately needs. But walking a dog 30 minutes a day, is not nearly enough exercise.

Hugs
Creme

No I understand and the post you wrote before made alot of sense. But someone telling me I need to get rid of my dog is just a no no. Shes pit if I get rid of her she will be put down. Not gonna happen.

I will try to excercise her more. She spends alot of time in the back yard during the day and its a huge back yard but maybe I should get one of those spring things for her. Im also having a pool put in in a few weeks and she loves swimming so that should help with that aspect too..

I didnt mean to get so defensive its just shes my baby no matter how many times someone say shes just a dog I know her and i dont think she would be mentally stable if I gave her away.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I apologize.
I was in a cranky mood yesterday when I posted and it clearly showed.

I really should stay away from the "pets" forums because I get too emotional and I don't have the kind of patience it takes to educate people rather than get all cranky on them.

Thank you. Im sorry I jumped down your throat. I just love my puppy so much and couldnt imagine life without her just like she was my real daughter. Just the thought made my anger spike. Im sorry.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post

Thanks so much!

I have a 14 year old boy next door and hes really excited that im having a pool put in for the summer that im sure for a few laps around the pool he would love to take queenie for a few laps around the neighborhood. Great idea! He plays with her so much already and shes quite used to him. And she is an excellent walker never pulls and stops right when you say it so I think i'll ask his mom tonight and then have him come with me for a week or 2 on our nightly walks and show him the ropes. Hopefully that will burn that extra energy.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Waves hi to OhioChic!!!!!! Hiiiiiiii!!!!

I'm so glad that things are going relatively well for you ... and the baby ... and Queenie. A lot going on, right?

I'd try to get Queenie into the vet just to rule out a UTI, but if she's only doing it sometimes, it doesn't sound like a UTI. Like others have said, it just sounds like she needs to get out more. Hard with a baby, I understand.

The idea regarding your teen neighbor is fabulous! I hope that works out well.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and tell you that it's good to "see" you.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
No I understand and the post you wrote before made alot of sense. But someone telling me I need to get rid of my dog is just a no no. Shes pit if I get rid of her she will be put down. Not gonna happen.

I will try to excercise her more. She spends alot of time in the back yard during the day and its a huge back yard but maybe I should get one of those spring things for her. Im also having a pool put in in a few weeks and she loves swimming so that should help with that aspect too..

I didnt mean to get so defensive its just shes my baby no matter how many times someone say shes just a dog I know her and i dont think she would be mentally stable if I gave her away.
thanks so much for coming back and for your post...

I've been raising dogs and horses for more then half my life, and yes, they are, our babies...and always will be, and we love them dearly...but there were times in my life, I've had to put the dogs/horses before my own feelings..and literally had to give up a lot to have them. They are a huge responsibility, and I suppose the point I was trying to make, is, we've got to rearrange our lives for them, no matter how much it takes, to assure that we are fulfilling they're needs, both mentally and physically. Your dog is much bigger then mine, mine runs around my two dinning room tables a few times and his butt is shot...he also much older blind and deaf...but I still walk him 6 times a day and it's tough, but after the abuse he has endured, he deserves it....
also, another thing that frightened me is the fact that your dog is big...and if he starts to get to mentally confused...he might hurt someone. It happened to my cousin. She had a BEAUtiful great dane. The dog had $500.00 worth of obediance training, and this was back in the 70's. But the dog never ran or got any exercise, and I think it just went bonkers...it went after everyone, I mean really wanted to tear into human beings, and almost slipped thru it's collar to get at a paper boy. That was it, they had to put the dog down, back then we didn't know much about dog phsycology like today....and it's a shame, b/c I think she honestly would have opted to give the dog a new home is she knew it was b/c he had become mentally unstable. I saw the change myself, and so, that is why I got tough with you to...it's nothing to take lightly, they do need the proper exercise every day....
hope you understand, hugs and good luck
Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs