Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times

Advertisements

We often hear of things that seem to only be seen and heard by dogs and small children. I've had several bizarre instances with my dogs knowing things before they happen - they sense things.

The other day I had another one of those experiences with my dog Possum. My nephew died just before Thanksgiving and Mother's Day would have been his 21st Birthday. My brother and SIL don't live here so I said I would make sure he had flowers on his grave. I took my dog, Possum with me.

James, my nephew, was an animal lover as myself and met every dog I had - except for Possum, but he knew about her. She's a good dog and doesn't run off and always comes when called so, I let her out of the car dragging her leash and she wandered over the greens sniffing around. Then I called her and she started to walk to me and then stopped and lay down....damn if that dog didn't lay down on Jame's grave and waited for me. I've been stunned by it ever since.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Oh my gosh! That just gave me chills.

I'm so sorry for your loss. And I'm so glad that you have Possum.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
wow I used to get the strangest looks from people when I would take my first husbands dog to his grave he died very suddenly at the age of 40 . The dog would start to dig so I had to take him away from there . But yes dogs know who loves and loved them . The dog passed away 4 yrs later at 16 yrs old there is a marker by my husbands grave with a pic of him and the dog .

Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
My little Shih Tzu/Bichon mix dog is fantastic with kids, especially toddlers. When my nephew was 2 years old and when we hosted Thanksgiving dinner he stayed with the toddler all day. He was wearing these little bib overalls and when he got too close to the stairs, Cooper would grab ahold of the strap of the overalls and sit him down and not let go until he was away from the stairs. We were all amazed, just came natural for him.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow I used to get the strangest looks from people when I would take my first husbands dog to his grave he died very suddenly at the age of 40 . The dog would start to dig so I had to take him away from there . But yes dogs know who loves and loved them . The dog passed away 4 yrs later at 16 yrs old there is a marker by my husbands grave with a pic of him and the dog .
I don't mean to be macabre at all, but in the book Scent of the Missing, which is about search and rescue dogs, the author said that dogs actually can smell bodies under water, as well as in many other circumstances where it doesn't seem possible. Your dog might very well have recognized your husband's scent, which does not make the story any less touching or poignant.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My little Shih Tzu/Bichon mix dog is fantastic with kids, especially toddlers. When my nephew was 2 years old and when we hosted Thanksgiving dinner he stayed with the toddler all day. He was wearing these little bib overalls and when he got too close to the stairs, Cooper would grab ahold of the strap of the overalls and sit him down and not let go until he was away from the stairs. We were all amazed, just came natural for him.
I also had a collie that would do that. Back in the early 70's My daughter was about 15 mths old when I went back to work. My Grand Mother babysat at our house. I came home to many stories, once that Rudy(collie) had lifted my daughter up by putting his head under her bottom when she tried to go up the high side of the old fashioned cement steps. He also more than one time put his mouth around her wrist, very lightly and led her back away from the gate. I have always thought dogs had much more intuition than we coul.d ever imagine.
OP...Your story was extremely touching. Hug Possum for me

Old 05-26-2012, 05:20 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Wonderful story OP and from the picture Possum is the right name.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:44 AM

An early picture of James with my dog Biscuit - he had a loving bond with all my dogs.

I had lost my 16 year old cocker spaniel and James was the first person on the phone to call me about it, then he died exactly a week later. Maybe Possum understood my sadness or James' sympathy. Whatever it is, I like to think he's with all the pups I've ever had.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
An early picture of James with my dog Biscuit - he had a loving bond with all my dogs.

I had lost my 16 year old cocker spaniel and James was the first person on the phone to call me about it, then he died exactly a week later. Maybe Possum understood my sadness or James' sympathy. Whatever it is, I like to think he's with all the pups I've ever had.
You're making me weepy. Really.

James was clearly a VERY special person. And all the dogs knew it. RIP.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I also had a collie that would do that. Back in the early 70's My daughter was about 15 mths old when I went back to work. My Grand Mother babysat at our house. I came home to many stories, once that Rudy(collie) had lifted my daughter up by putting his head under her bottom when she tried to go up the high side of the old fashioned cement steps. He also more than one time put his mouth around her wrist, very lightly and led her back away from the gate. I have always thought dogs had much more intuition than we coul.d ever imagine.
OP...Your story was extremely touching. Hug Possum for me

It's not uncommon for some dogs to 'adopt' children as if they were their own pups or herd them. These kinds of dogs still amaze me.

My cocker spaniel was epileptic and would siezure. I remember I was sleeping and my shar-pei was standing next to the bed pushing on me with her front paws like a little kid. I kept telling her to stop and she wouldn't and then I'd look at her and she'd start walking to the door and then I rolled over and she was back pushing on me. So, I finally got up and followed her to see what she wanted and there was the little cocker having a siezure in the middle of the living room. She just knew something was wrong and was really persistant in getting me.

Possum likes to adopt other animals and bring them in the house. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and at the end of the bed I noticed a long pink tail coming out of the covers and Possum lying near it. I thought "Oh, now what the hell?!" I thought it was a dead animal she'd brought in (they have a dog door). So, I whipped the sheets back real fast and of all things this is what was staring back at me:

Of all things she had decided to adopt and care for this baby possum and it was snuggled up to her belly. Of course I freaked and had to do a catch and release program using a spatula and a paper bag, but I almost felt really bad for taking her baby away from her. It just confirmed naming her Possum was the right name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs