Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:48 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,849,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Lastra, when you have a chance can you check the name of the clippers you have? I bought a pair ...it didn't have the safety feature you mention and..well...it was not a good scene and I about freaked out as well as the dog!

**I like to read about products people have had good luck with and maybe try it myself.**

Thanks...
We use these ones. They are excellent so far. Which kind did you have?
Petsmart.com - Dog: Grooming: Millers Forge Big Dog Nail Clipper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 12:22 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,178,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I bathe my 10 pound dachshund/toy poodle mix in the tub. Her name is Honey. She will jump in if I ask her to. I wouldn't say she enjoys her bath but she's easy to bathe. I use a moisturizing oatmeal dog shampoo from PetSmart. I can't remember the brand. During the summer, I bathe Honey at least once a week, more often if she rolls in something stinky. I always wash her green feet after I mow then lawn. I wrap her in towels and snuggle with her as long as she'll let me. Then she jumps out of the towels and runs around the house like she's running a marathon. She slides her chin along the carpet and rolls around on her back. During the winter, I blow dry her fur before leaving the bathroom.
Honey's skin doesn't get dried out from being bathed so often? I have always heard to never bathe a dog more than once a month because it will dry their skin out. When we first got Brooklyn we would bathe him once a week. He was about 8 weeks old when we got him, he was our only dog and we went to the beach every week at least once or twice. We had never heard that you are only supposed to bathe dogs once a month, so we didn't know. When we first got Destiny we heard that we should only bather them once a month or so, so now that's what we do. We still take them to the beach at least once a week most of the time, so when we get home we rinse them off and then spray this PH balance spray all over them, that way the salt water won't dry their skin out. Because we rinse them off and spray them with that spray so often we normally only bathe them once every 3 or 4 months. Plus, because we live in FL and it's so hot and humid, they aren't outside much. Besides taking them to the beach and letting them out to go potty a few times a day, they go on 2 or 3 45-60 minute walks a day, but they don't really get dirty because they are walking in grass and on concrete. When they start to get that doggy smell we bathe them. Anyway, I was just curious to see if she had any problems with dry skin. When Brooklyn was a puppy and we bathed him every week he never really had any problems with his skin drying out, but we do wait longer to bathe them now.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:34 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,423,617 times
Im lucky Dakota loves bathtime. He just sits there and lets me spray and rub in the soap. I think he loves the rubbing and massage of it all thats why he never moves. Only prob is stopping him drinking the water

Old 09-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Im lucky Dakota loves bathtime. He just sits there and lets me spray and rub in the soap. I think he loves the rubbing and massage of it all thats why he never moves. Only prob is stopping him drinking the water
Destiny drinks the water too! lol! She doesn't like getting a bath, but once she calms down a bit she wants to drink the water, so I have to keep her from drinking the water, keep her from jumping out of the tub and bathe her all at once! Bath time is soo much fun!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:51 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,912,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
We use these ones. They are excellent so far. Which kind did you have?
Petsmart.com - Dog: Grooming: Millers Forge Big Dog Nail Clipper

Mine are similar to those...I think I misunderstood when you said it had a safety on it...I was thinking more along the lines of an indicator of where to cut?
My vet told me that if the quick is cut it's not good...sometimes depending on how far down in the quick, they can bleed severely.
That's why I am hesitant on doing their nails after that episode where I did accidentally cut too far down...

Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Mine are similar to those...I think I misunderstood when you said it had a safety on it...I was thinking more along the lines of an indicator of where to cut?
My vet told me that if the quick is cut it's not good...sometimes depending on how far down in the quick, they can bleed severely.
That's why I am hesitant on doing their nails after that episode where I did accidentally cut too far down...
Well it has something at the bootom, and you "flip that thing", so when you want to cut your doggie's nail, the "flipped thing" want let you cut "more than you should".

Old 09-24-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You are very lucky!!!Hef licked the shampoo few times - while he was having a bath!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I don't mind cutting Destiny and Jayda's nails, but Brooklyn has black nails (well, he has like three toes that are white, so those nails are white, but most of them are black) and they are a lot bigger than the girls, so I just let the vet take care of Brooklyn!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I don't mind cutting Destiny and Jayda's nails, but Brooklyn has black nails (well, he has like three toes that are white, so those nails are white, but most of them are black) and they are a lot bigger than the girls, so I just let the vet take care of Brooklyn!
Hef also has different nails. Some of them are white, some of them are pinkish - white, and some of them are black.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,495,248 times
I bathe Charlie Brown in the tub , but since we got the little spray hose thingy in our sick he bathes there like a little puppy shower and he can view the mountains and birds while getting clean. I usually use and oatmeal bath cause he would get itchy with something that bloomed in Florida, now that I'm in New Hampshire though he hasn't had any ithy problems

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DigitalCamera057-1.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs