Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:30 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,092,133 times

Advertisements

I have a full breed Boerboel. She's a big girl at close to 140 lbs.

She has allergies although I haven't narrowed down the root cause. She hasn't been with me long so I am learning A LOT.

My girl is 4-years-old. In the last month we've dealt with interdigital cysts on two paws. First she had a fine needle aspiration then she ended up having a biopsy (which required sedation) when the results were inconclusive. The cysts are currently being treated with antibiotics. They are still there but they look better. Neither cyst slowed her down and my only real indication that they were a bother was her constant licking of her paws. (She pretty much grooms herself like a cat.)

Then we discovered a double ear infection. More antibiotics.

Then last weekend I was horrified to discover bright red blood in her urine. Took her to the vet immediately with first morning sample. The culture revealed crystals.

The vet suggested she needed X-rays to determine if there are stones present, which also requires sedation.

In the interim, the vet put her on Rx Royal Canin SO. Now, admittedly, she seems to have perked up. I haven't seen blood in 4 days. And just generally speaking, she seems to be herself again.

But before the crystals, I was already looking into better food options for her due to her allergies. In reviewing the ingredients on the Royal Canin, I can't imagine this being any good for her - which surprised me considering the price! My baby is drinking water like crazy, something I was formerly leading her to do so I imagine that's as a result of the Royal Canin. The sodium content must be high, driving her to drink. I know she needed to increase her water intake but, seems to me between the corn, sodium and whatever other crap, this can't be good overall. And the vet said this would be a permanent change!

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions/recommendations if you've been through this previously. I'd love a healthier option that would ease her allergy symptoms and her urinary problems.

Thank you kindly for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,092,133 times
No insight? Anyone?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,169,453 times
I know that Hill's makes a prescription diet food for dogs with bladder and kidney problems. I'm not sure which one you would need, but your vet would need to write a prescription for it if they do not sell it so they coulld tell you which one would be best. If your vet does not sell it, you can get it at places like petsmart as long as you have a script. C/D is for bladder health and K/D is for kidney health. They sell it in wet and dry. I have not tried them, but I have heard good things. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,637,705 times
If your dog has allergies, the first thing I would do is get her off of anything with corn, grains and soy. Do you have a Costco near by? I use their grain-free red label turkey for my boys and they are doing well. Cost is $30ish for 30-35lbs. Although Kirkland has a blue label that is also grain free.

Another brand that is good is Fromm, you can look them up on the Internet, great reviews, they cost more. It is worth your baby's health.

Personally, you could not pay me to feed my dog Hills Science Diet even if the vet wanted me too. They (vets get a kick back for selling it and it is not good for your dog.)

What I would do, is began researching dog food. It may seem like a heck of a task but I promise you, what you find out will amaze you and your boerboel is worth it!!!

Foxywench is another one to talk with about this, she will have key info for you.

Here is a website, when you want to check a dog food. You will want a minimum of three stars. (Check out Royal Canine and Hills Science Diet see where it lands?)

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Hope this helps!

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1518&cat=all <--Royal Canine SO

EDIT: Just wanted to add, you are your BEST advocate for your dog, as they do not have a voice. Do your research and ASK questions!!! If your vet IS doing something it is for a reason and it does not hurt to ask why? You mentioned the ingredients in Royal Canine (and you ARE correct) however it is a low protein dog food and that could be why your vet has recommended it? Until they know for sure what is going on with the kidneys? It may just be a UTI, take some antibotics and it's all cleared up and you can change her diet to grain-free and get her allergies cleared up!?!?

Point is, ask, ask, ask!!!

Please let us know how y'all are doing AND please post some pictures. We LOVE pictures!!!

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 06-14-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM

Why is Science Diet not good for your dog?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,080,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Because many of the Science Diet formulas have corn as the first ingredient. The first ingredient should be meat. It would be best, too, if the food was grain-free, but at the very least, the food should not include corn, soy, meat by-products (that includes beaks, feathers, etc...), and that sort of stuff.

Science Diet is not a well-balanced or healthy dog food.

Maybe they have better formulas now, though. Check your bag. If the first ingredient is not meat (or a meat meal), then it's a poor food.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 06-14-2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
(usually) not always first ingredient is corn. Corn is hard for humans to digest, it is also difficult for dogs to digest. Little nutrition, it is really just a filler. The more filler you put in, the more comes out and you pick up

Which one (Science Diet) do you use? Did you use the link above to read about it? Those are independent reviews, they go into great detail and easy to understand (even for me )

I used the SD regular adult food for my Am Staff for years thinking it was a premium food. I thought if it was well advertised and expensive, it had to be good. Man they had me buffaloed! She had ear infections all the time, corn has been linked to yeast infections, and that is what her ear infections were from: yeast (I did not know this at the time.) If I had known, I would have had her on grain-free...

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ct=127&cat=all <--SD Adult Maintenance (I think this is the one we fed her. You will notice, it got a one (1) star rating.)

Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info! I did not know about corn being the first ingredient. I used to feed them the Science Diet, but I am using Blue Buffalo right now. Is that one ok?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I did not know about corn being the first ingredient. I used to feed them the Science Diet, but I am using Blue Buffalo right now. Is that one ok?
Which flavor of Blue Buffalo (such as, Adult Chicken, Senior Lamb or Puppy Turkey etc)

Found three under the three (3) stars but there are different flavors and stages of life. (and I know some are ranked better.)

Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 PM

It's the adult chicken and brown rice. I looked it up on the web site and it's at least better then the science diet I used to feed them. Thanks for the link to the website. I will use it the next time I buy food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs