Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Ep- Ep- started this thread

2,080 posts, read 4,170,662 times

Advertisements

i live in an apartment. they bark all morning/afternoon/night. sometimes past midnight. they are locked in a tiny bedroom with a cracked open window 24/7.

landlord doesnt care

I tried talking to the guy calmly tonight since he was out on his porch. he flipped out on me and doesn't seem like a stable guy

now i have dogs barking and a psycho neighbor who now hates me. i have a dog myself. hope he's not crazy enough to try and do anything to my dog =/

just signed the lease before they moved in. still got awhile

sighhhhhh
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
Well you have done what you can. Animal control needs a call and they can discuss it with him. Maybe they can be the voice of reason?

However...will HIS dog pay the price? You mentioned he's unstable? Of course, you may mention that to A/C, too...

Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 PM

ive read they cant really do much in these situations. plus the guy kept yelling at me over and over to call the cops (even tho I never said anything about the police) and that they wouldnt do anything. i think hes pretty much right there.

at this point the barking doesnt bother me as much as the fact that ive pissed off a crazy guy. =/

Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Definitely call animal control or the police. (some areas they are the same dept)
I don't know how it works where you're located but where I live, animal control stops taking noise complaints after a certain time. It's either 12am or 1 am. THEN the police take the calls.

The difference is, animal control sends the offending party a letter warning them about the nuisance barking ordinance but doesn't come out. The police on the other hand will come out and pound on the door in the middle of the night.
So I'd wait until the middle of the night then call the police non-emergency line. Tell them the dog has been barking non stop for a long time. Be sure to read up on your local ordinances so you can find out more about what is legal and not legal.

Calling the cops won't win you any points with the neighbor but it's either that or law awake listening to barking.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 PM

is calling the cops going to be worthwhile though?

he's already pissed i called the landlord and tried to talk to him about it. since he seems crazy im just worried he might try and do something to my dog while im away sometimes

if the cops arent going to do much i dont want to **** this guy off more then he aparently is

Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,911 times
I had a neighbor like that, and even though I had nothing to apologize for (my dog would run into his yard, but his dog would come into mine, yadda yadda yadda) I did. I went to his house, knocked on the door and profusely apologized that my dog had gone in his yard. This was after he shouted at me when he caught my dog on his property. Well, both of us were to blame (no fences, loose dogs) but boy that apology bought me a friend for the years I lived there. He was not all that stable a guy, either...very short fuse, but he was like another person after I did that. So maybe eat crow, go see the guy and say you had an awful bad day when you complained about the dogs, suck up and see if the psycho buys into it. Not only may you get stop the dog barking problem, but you make make an ally of someone who could be your worst enemy. No matter how you see it, you have to co-exist with this guy, and he is already on the defensive. Defuse him.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Can you tell the landlord that the barking is a nuisance which will lead to you terminate the lease as your apartment is unusable under those conditions?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Can I ask you... are you male or female? I'm asking because the dynamic changes when you're dealing with people of the opposite sex. For example, even though I, as a woman, should be afraid to approach a man with a complaint like yours, in truth it would work to my advantage because it's not a "yeah, man? I'll show you who's the tough guy!" situation. It's just a different dynamic, y'know what I mean? So... if you're a guy, I can see how the confrontation would have turned into a... well... confrontation.

Do you have a wife? A girlfriend? A good friend who's a girl? Maybe you could ask them to talk to the guy? Not to sweet-talk him -- I don't mean that. It's just the dynamic that I'm talking about.

If you can't -- or don't want to -- do that, then I suggest that you call Animal Control or the police. I would call the police. In all the towns/cities where I've lived, there's a noise ordinance. While I don't think it's fair that the dogs bark ALL! THE! TIME!, I know that, at least where I live, you can only have a dog barking where neighbors can hear for five minutes at a time, maximum, and NO barking after 10pm (I think that's the time).

You're paying rent so you're entitled to peaceable living.

I'm sorry that you're going through this. So frustrating, I'm sure.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM

I'm male.

thing is the guy that flipped out at me, i dont think he lives there. i think there are 4-5 asian people living there and none of them speak english. they were sitting outside tonight when I came in so i decided to talk to them. the older guy who went psycho ive never seen, but he spoke english. so even if I try and go over there and apologize i dont think that english speaking guy lives there so there is actually no one i can talk to that would understand what im saying.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
I'm male.

thing is the guy that flipped out at me, i dont think he lives there. i think there are 4-5 asian people living there and none of them speak english. they were sitting outside tonight when I came in so i decided to talk to them. the older guy who went psycho ive never seen, but he spoke english. so even if I try and go over there and apologize i dont think that english speaking guy lives there so there is actually no one i can talk to that would understand what im saying.
Oh, geez, that's a bad situation.

I know that moving is a tremendous hassle -- and, God knows, you shouldn't have to take such measures! -- but maybe Heidi's idea of using the nuisance barking as a reason to break your lease is something that you want to do?

I'm now wondering... you said that the dogs are in a room 24/7 with a window cracked. I wonder what's going on there! When the dogs are being let out to do their business... how well they're being fed and cared for... etc... Y'know what? For that reason alone -- even if they didn't bark all the freakin' time -- I'd be calling Animal Control and/or the police, just for the safety and well-being of the dogs, leaving myself out of the equation.

What a crappy, crappy situation for you and those dogs. Crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs