Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,676,119 times

Advertisements

I would imagine many on here are dog saavy realistic people who try to make informed decisions. In real life I have noticed many people will research a breed, find it has some traits that are not compatible with their situation ,ignore the facts and purchase one anyway believing THEY won't have the same issues with THEIR dog or that they can "train" their dog not to behave like the rest of the breed. Granted each do is an individual and there are exceptions to what the majorit of any breed are like but if this is your plan I would advise getting an adult so you can observe the individual animals behavior.
Just tired of seeing these situations fail...it's always the dogs who pay the price ending up in shelters or rescue simply for demonstrating behaviors they were bred for.

For example I've always admired Borzoi and I have the space and time required, however I love to run my dogs off leash (safe areas of course) and that isn't compatible with having sighthounds so I will probably never own a borzoi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 05:08 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I would imagine many on here are dog saavy realistic people who try to make informed decisions. In real life I have noticed many people will research a breed, find it has some traits that are not compatible with their situation ,ignore the facts and purchase one anyway believing THEY won't have the same issues with THEIR dog or that they can "train" their dog not to behave like the rest of the breed. Granted each do is an individual and there are exceptions to what the majorit of any breed are like but if this is your plan I would advise getting an adult so you can observe the individual animals behavior.
Just tired of seeing these situations fail...it's always the dogs who pay the price ending up in shelters or rescue simply for demonstrating behaviors they were bred for.

For example I've always admired Borzoi and I have the space and time required, however I love to run my dogs off leash (safe areas of course) and that isn't compatible with having sighthounds so I will probably never own a borzoi.

Wow I too have always loved Borzoi but they are too big and I do not have the indoor space and I also do not like the shorter life span as that would kill me so years ago I decided it was a breed I would always only admire but never own ( I also love the herding breeds and so that has been what most of my dogs have been) However over 3 yrs ago I got Dazzle he is a Silken Windhound looks and behaves very much like a Borzoi but smaller. he is 50lbs, thus has a longer life span ..some of his relatives are 17! I am lucky as I have quite a few safe places he can be off leash and to be honset he does have a pretty solid recall and really does not like to get too far from me. When he is off leash at the leash free beach he races around but will reach a point where he turns and circles back around me and when it is time to go I call him and he comes. So now I have a dog very close to that lovely Borzoi and I have my herder mix Chaos ..life is good!

I live in a condo so with each herding breed dog I have had I got the "they will not do well in a condo as they need more space" but I have been honest with myself as I do have time to exercie such a dog and great places to do it and have been involved with agility for years so I have had not problems and have had happy well adjusted well behaved dogs..so My advise to people is to be honest with themselves are you really able to give the dog what it needs and not just for a few weeks but for 12-14+ years? Getting a dog just because you like it is not enough if it really does not fit your life stlye do your research and be honest with your self.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:08 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,797 times
What a great question!
I have owned German Wirehaired Pointers for over 30 yrs... I love the breed. But.. I'm getting older and am beginning to realize their exercise requirements are not quite fitting what I am able to give them. I have a 6 mos old boy now... whew.. he needs a place to run, and hunt.

This boy will get that soon, but if I were a typical owner, with out a lot of breed experience he would about make me nuts!

I also love the looks of the Borzoi, and Whippets. Know I can't do for them like they need.

Would love to own a Bull Terrier!!!!!! Probably should have done that 20 yrs ago!

So many breeds, so little years left.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:24 PM

409 posts, read 874,384 times
I would love to get a German Shepherd or Akita but (a) I don't think I am active enough for them and; (b) they are on so many restrictive lists that they would limits where I can live.

I also like to get a bullmastiff, but they are in the Working Dog category so I don't know. Anyway I got myself a big lazy bulldog and we are both doing fine

Old 09-16-2012, 05:30 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
What a great question!
I have owned German Wirehaired Pointers for over 30 yrs... I love the breed. But.. I'm getting older and am beginning to realize their exercise requirements are not quite fitting what I am able to give them. I have a 6 mos old boy now... whew.. he needs a place to run, and hunt.

This boy will get that soon, but if I were a typical owner, with out a lot of breed experience he would about make me nuts!

I also love the looks of the Borzoi, and Whippets. Know I can't do for them like they need.

Would love to own a Bull Terrier!!!!!! Probably should have done that 20 yrs ago!

So many breeds, so little years left.
One of the other reasons I decided to get Dazzle ( the silken windhound) was I am over 50 and was not sure I had the energy for another young herding breed. Dazzle is happy with a run on the beach or playing at the dog park then laying on my bed or my couch so I first I thought he is great ..then I found I missed that high energy , throw the ball 24/7 type of dog so I got Chaos and she is a happy mix between Dazzle and the late Jazz and Dash I guess I was not ready to give up agility and all the rest of the crazy things yet ( tone it down some yes but give them up no), though I will say Dazzle is great and he is quiet, very smart, lazy but can run faster then the wind and he is 100% cuddle bug what is not to love? I really think I have two dogs that fit where I am in my life right now. Maddie, Jazz, Dash and Phoenix were the right dogs for my younger years but they would have been to much at this point so it is better that it is just their spirit that runs along side me now.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
akita and dogo: i have a hard enough time socilizing a frinedly dog due to my disability, i certainly could NEVER be social enough to keep such a "stranger reactive" dog socilized enoughto be "safe" in any situation...

ibizan and pharoah hound: i LOVE sighthounds, but these guys are the drivest of the group in my especince and living on a farm, ducks, rabbits geese ect...yeah not worth the risk.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,481,629 times
If I lived near a lake, I'd get a Newfoundland.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,676,119 times
Wow...I didn't realize sighthounds had so many fans out there! I've pretty much switched over from working breeds to herding breeds...I am a very active person and find medium sized dogs to be the most practical for my let's go on an adventure personality. I would probably never have abandoned dobermans were it not for their health problems...makes me sad just thinking about it. I also have a golden mix...he's the sweetest dog ever but his personality seems so dull compared to the herders. I can totally understand why goldens are popular though he's just as easy going and managable as they come. I would totally feel comfortable recommending a dog like him to anyone who just wants a dog. My border collie and mixes are great dogs but they require a huge investment in time and exercise to keep them that way...far more than a busy person would be likely to give.

I have never seen s silken windhound in real life...I will have to keep an eye out for them.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 PM

844 posts, read 2,021,156 times
I'd like a Border Collie - they're beautiful and so smart. But I just don't have the time or interest in keeping one as busy, exercised or as challenged as it would need to be. I love watching them though. I recently heard about a BC in Europe who learned over 300 words and could also identify objects based on pictures - very impressive!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM

720 posts, read 1,710,109 times
I love Irish Wolfhounds---just something about their faces. But their size isn't practical for us, and I don't think I could cope with their short lifespan. My mini poodle went to the bridge after 14 yrs. 4 mos. and I am still grieving over the loss and missing terribly my heart's love after 5 monthes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs