Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 26,466 times

Advertisements

Ok so this is a very sad story I'm still grieving.... But here goes. 2 days ago I get up like normal at 6am get ready for work in a rush as always only difference being my wife was on vacation with the inlaws. So I had a jack russell puppy no older then 34 weeks I'd say he was a mix but dominately jack russell about 20lbs I'd say maybe less. We always kept him outside to free roam the yard. We have a huge yard several acres and the house is far from the road and our screened in covered front porch was like his dog house we kept him there as a puppy with newspaper until he got big enough to go down the stairs by himself and potty in the yard he did perfect very very smart practically no training needed even had him sitting and shaking in no time... He would never go far from the house I watched him regularly through the window to see what he did without us around so I never feared of him getting run over or anything the road is quite far from our house and its in the country so little traffic. Anyways... On this terrible morning I go out and play with him for a few minutes as usual before getting into my car to head to work he recently developed a habit of chasing my car down the right side of my driveway until reaching a treeline well on this unfortunate morning he switched to the left side which has no tree line and cought my car on the back tire and I guess tried biting it and I ran right over his head I heard a huge yelp as I slammed my brakes peering into the rearview I see his head and front legs on the ground with is rear legs and rear end up like he's trying to run I rush out of my car and run over crying my eyes out and in sure shock. His legs slowly stop moving and blood was coming out of his eyesocket he completely stops moving I'm sitting there petting him calling out his name (Shiloh) over and over.... Once I can kind of start thinking straight I check if he's breathing and he didnt seem to be.... So I try to compose myself and go to work and get the day over with. I come home a little early to take care of burying him and getting my closure. I was gone about 5 hours and no one came to my house or anything the thing that I just can't quit thinking about is when I came home his body had moved at least 5 feet into the ditch across the driveway there was a tiny trail of blood leading to his body so my first thought is possibly another animal moved him by dragging him but I keep wondering back what if he wasn't dead because he had no bitebmarks or sign of any animal messing with his body its as if he woke up and crawled into the ditch to die .... Please can anyone help ease my concious is there any possible way even if I took him to the ER that he could have survived this?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcain1787 View Post
Ok so this is a very sad story I'm still grieving.... But here goes. 2 days ago I get up like normal at 6am get ready for work in a rush as always only difference being my wife was on vacation with the inlaws. So I had a jack russell puppy no older then 34 weeks I'd say he was a mix but dominately jack russell about 20lbs I'd say maybe less. We always kept him outside to free roam the yard. We have a huge yard several acres and the house is far from the road and our screened in covered front porch was like his dog house we kept him there as a puppy with newspaper until he got big enough to go down the stairs by himself and potty in the yard he did perfect very very smart practically no training needed even had him sitting and shaking in no time... He would never go far from the house I watched him regularly through the window to see what he did without us around so I never feared of him getting run over or anything the road is quite far from our house and its in the country so little traffic. Anyways... On this terrible morning I go out and play with him for a few minutes as usual before getting into my car to head to work he recently developed a habit of chasing my car down the right side of my driveway until reaching a treeline well on this unfortunate morning he switched to the left side which has no tree line and cought my car on the back tire and I guess tried biting it and I ran right over his head I heard a huge yelp as I slammed my brakes peering into the rearview I see his head and front legs on the ground with is rear legs and rear end up like he's trying to run I rush out of my car and run over crying my eyes out and in sure shock. His legs slowly stop moving and blood was coming out of his eyesocket he completely stops moving I'm sitting there petting him calling out his name (Shiloh) over and over.... Once I can kind of start thinking straight I check if he's breathing and he didnt seem to be.... So I try to compose myself and go to work and get the day over with. I come home a little early to take care of burying him and getting my closure. I was gone about 5 hours and no one came to my house or anything the thing that I just can't quit thinking about is when I came home his body had moved at least 5 feet into the ditch across the driveway there was a tiny trail of blood leading to his body so my first thought is possibly another animal moved him by dragging him but I keep wondering back what if he wasn't dead because he had no bitebmarks or sign of any animal messing with his body its as if he woke up and crawled into the ditch to die .... Please can anyone help ease my concious is there any possible way even if I took him to the ER that he could have survived this?
Please....do not get another dog.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:18 AM

Dude it was an accident I feel really bad this is a serious question. I realize its my fault I should have kept him chained up. But I think because my wife was gone he really wanted to go to work with me.... I couldn't see him he usually runs out to the right of the car not behind to the left and he was small there was no way I could see him or I would have stopped....

Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Please someone just answer me has anyone ever had a dogs head run over and it survive?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 AM

936 posts, read 2,069,095 times
I don't think he would have lived, but the least you could have done was take him to the emergency vet to have him checked out/euthanized. Instead you left him there to suffer/die. Very sad.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
At minimum, you should have taken this animal to the vet. It was an emergency. It was an accident, I'm sure you could have called your job. We will never know if it was survivable, you left him there instead of getting him immediate medical attention.

I am sorry for your loss. I don't know how you will be able to explain this to your wife. It's not the act of running over the dog, that was an accident. It was leaving him, without medical attention...is where you went wrong. It is very sad

Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Not a dog but I ran over my cat's head years ago. I don't think they can survive that kind of injury. In my case, unbeknownst to me, the cat had crawled up into the engine compartment. When the car started to move, he jumped right under the tire.

It was an accident. It is highly unlikely he could have survived and if he had, you probably wouldn't have wanted him to. You thought he was dead. Give yourself a break.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:59 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
No, he wouldn't have survived. But I cannot understand how getting to work was so important as to leave him there. That he wasn't dead at the time is even worse.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
no you should not have left him chained up. That is cruel too. if you get another dog you need a safe enclosure if you can't leave it in the house while you are gone. Yes it was an accident and I know you feel bad but leaving any animal to roam free is asking for tragedy.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Obviously this man feels guilty enough for what was an accident, and some of you chastising him, accomplishes nothing.
Please if you have something constructive to add, please do it, other than that, perhaps it would be better to keep your personal attacks to yourselves.
That old phrase "walk a mile in my shoes" comes to mind.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.